04/Aug 2.09.405.8 (Froyo) pre-rooted no hboot / with radio / deodex

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest merlin051

I'm getting an issue trying to connect to certain Wifi Networks, the encryption used is WPA/WPA2 PSK

after entering a key I get a error 'Unable to connect to the network'

It works fine on my home wifi and was working fine on this wifi before 2.2.

this error comes up before the phone has even tried to connect, its almost instant as soon as i enter the password.

I'm 2 desks away from the AP so its not a reception issue.

anyone else having this problem?

I used the Rom + radio download.

Guest chicaneuk

Just have to jump in and say THANKS to Paul for this. Was one of the saps who yesterday, inadvertantly downloaded the Vodafone update which added a bunch of rubbish to my phone which I didn't want. I knew at that point it was time to explore rooting, etc.

I got Unrevoked 3.1 down and that ran successfully and then I set about trying to find a totally base ROM to install - was struggling till I found this thread. Downloaded the bundle WITH radio and ran it from the recovery utility installed from Unrevoked, ran a full wipe / reset, and here I am with a nice clean install of Froyo on my phone.

Thank you Paul.. free from Vodafone's crapware! And FroYo'd :)

Guest froobra
I'm getting an issue trying to connect to certain Wifi Networks, the encryption used is WPA/WPA2 PSK

after entering a key I get a error 'Unable to connect to the network'

It works fine on my home wifi and was working fine on this wifi before 2.2.

this error comes up before the phone has even tried to connect, its almost instant as soon as i enter the password.

I'm 2 desks away from the AP so its not a reception issue.

anyone else having this problem?

I used the Rom + radio download.

Yep, same here unfortunately :)

Guest mniewiera

@merlin051

are you using an dhcp server or static ip?

i saw many posts saying that a static ip didn´t work, and they had to use dhcp.

pherhaps you could try this.

is it a a/b/g wlan, or n wlan?

Guest merlin051
@merlin051

are you using an dhcp server or static ip?

i saw many posts saying that a static ip didn´t work, and they had to use dhcp.

pherhaps you could try this.

is it a a/b/g wlan, or n wlan?

hi there, its using dhcp and its G only I think (work network)

My home network is DHCP also.

I think this might be something to do with the encryption since the error comes up way too fast for it to be any sort of dhcp authentication problems.

Guest pehkblui
Cheers, Paul.

I've got a big favour to ask! If you get a chance, I wonder if you could check if HTC have mucked about with the wi-fi sleep settings in the latest version of sense (compared to the 1.21.405 software)?

Seems like the wi-fi connection is being throttled down when the screen is idle. I noticed it on last.fm... it basically won't work on wi-fi unless the screen is on, otherwise it starts skipping. Works perfectly over 3G.

Tested with a few different streams on tunewiki and it seems that it has difficulty streaming anything over 128kbps while the screen is off.

I rolled back to your 3.1 rom and everything was working perfectly again. I think it might be a Sense bug, rather than an Android 2.2 bug, because I've seen similar bug reports from 2.1 Wildfire users (and they have the same new version of Sense, don't they?).

It's easy to replicate. Just install last.fm, play a radio station and switch the screen off. Songs will skip after a minute or so. Or install tunewiki and pick a station with a stream of 192kbps and switch the screen off. Same thing will happen.

issue doesn't happen when the phone is on charge, btw.

This is driving me nuts so hopefully you or somebody else will be able to fix it :)

Not sure if it's related, but the same happens to me using any sort of browser based streaming - iplayer for example - i'd love to be able to listen to live radio/listen again via the iplayer site, and it does stream fine, but only as long as the screen is on. Same for myspace.

I'm 2.2 MCR R6, by the way.

Wireless still won't work when the phone goes to sleep.

However, there is a radio app developed for my local market (downloadable from HTC local site, with IMEI keyed in!), and it **works** flawlessly even when the phone is sleeping.

I guess the app developer has to force the wireless to stay awake if it needs to.

Guest woti17

hi paul

could you please include a newer iptables netfilter binary in r7, as "droidwall"- or "andfire"-firewall both don't work at all with mcr wip r6/r5 (maybe the binary version 1.4.7 from oclock rom, which works with mcr r6?)

btw: any chance to get "proximator" running on the desire, as a proxy be would of great use for security/privacy issues (apps "phoning home", adblocker, ....) on wifi-networks, or is this not rom related?

best regards

w

Guest tuatha
Wireless still won't work when the phone goes to sleep.

However, there is a radio app developed for my local market (downloadable from HTC local site, with IMEI keyed in!), and it **works** flawlessly even when the phone is sleeping.

I guess the app developer has to force the wireless to stay awake if it needs to.

Last.fm and tunewiki have permission to keep the phone awake. Tunewiki actually works on low-quality streams, but not on high quality ones. Whatever throttling command is in the new OS seems to be taking priority over the app permissions.

Edited by tuatha

Guest mniewiera
hi there, its using dhcp and its G only I think (work network)

My home network is DHCP also.

I think this might be something to do with the encryption since the error comes up way too fast for it to be any sort of dhcp authentication problems.

hmmmm than i have no clue.

it was worth a try ;-)

now you got me thinking...

have i tried wlan since i updated from r5 to ieftm´s offical froyo?

i dont think so. i got to try when im home from work...

(i will also try this rom then)

Guest chicaneuk

I just did my first ever root of my phone and installed this ROM (with radio update) and am successfully connected to my home WiFi which is secured with WPA-PSK....?

Guest pd555

I want to try this and flash without wipe over the R5 pre-bake that I have. I will Nandroid backup first of course. I can't remember if I had A2SD+ or not (I think not - can I tell from the phone?)

I presume I want the deodexed without radio version? (I already have the latest radio)

I also have trackpad wake and circle battery which I presume will remain?

Thanks for any advice

Guest merlin051
I want to try this and flash without wipe over the R5 pre-bake that I have. I will Nandroid backup first of course. I can't remember if I had A2SD+ or not (I think not - can I tell from the phone?)

I presume I want the deodexed without radio version? (I already have the latest radio)

I also have trackpad wake and circle battery which I presume will remain?

Thanks for any advice

you might need to put the circle battery and track pad wake on after the rom update.

actually I'm pretty sure you will.

Guest Laban

Paul, are there any dowsides with using HBOOT 0.80 instead of 0.92? Does it affect stability, performance, battery or someething else in a bad way? If not, why does HTC keep upgrading it?

Guest mniewiera
Paul, are there any dowsides with using HBOOT 0.80 instead of 0.92? Does it affect stability, performance, battery or someething else in a bad way? If not, why does HTC keep upgrading it?

the downside of using hboot 0.92 is that you cant root it! (at the moment)

i think that should answer why htc keeps updating it :-)

Guest Joshua03

@Paul,

why has the "2.09.405.8 without radio" version 137 MB free space of internal memory and the "2.09.405.8 deodexed without radio" version only 75 MB after installation?

Edited by Joshua03

Guest mniewiera
Well, if you put hboot .92 on after you've rooted it's not an issue?
hmmm, like i said before, im new to this.

but i believe if you put it on after you rooted, you are screwed or am i wrong?

@Paul,

why has the "2.09.405.8 without radio" version 137 MB free space of internal memory and the "2.09.405.8 deodexed without radio" version only 75 MB after installation?

Because of the odex files that get created if you use the deodex version.

P

Guest pd555
you might need to put the circle battery and track pad wake on after the rom update.

actually I'm pretty sure you will.

OK, that's easy enough but which version should I download? (my previous post)