Phone won't boot after setting up A2SD and removing card

Guest JonnyG165

Guest JonnyG165

Hi peeps,

I'm running Pinkolin's Desire 0.3 Froyo Rom - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741867

If I partition my SD Card via Rom Manager to make use of A2SD+, then remove the card, my phone refuses to boot and stays on the white HTC screen.

I've not installed any other apps, other than the facebook and google maps updates that the rom automatically downloads from the market as soon as you visit it. So I very much doubt it's a free space issue.

Can anyone give me an idea where I might be going wrong please? Being able to use different SD cards is important to me as I like to carry around large amounts of music/videos with me on 2 16GB SDs.

Thanks in advance.

Guest bigdan35
Hi peeps,

I'm running Pinkolin's Desire 0.3 Froyo Rom - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=741867

If I partition my SD Card via Rom Manager to make use of A2SD+, then remove the card, my phone refuses to boot and stays on the white HTC screen.

I've not installed any other apps, other than the facebook and google maps updates that the rom automatically downloads from the market as soon as you visit it. So I very much doubt it's a free space issue.

Can anyone give me an idea where I might be going wrong please? Being able to use different SD cards is important to me as I like to carry around large amounts of music/videos with me on 2 16GB SDs.

Thanks in advance.

The thing is, because your phone is now set up with A2SD+, that SD Card will have the apps which your phone likes to run, but not just that.. It is classing that partition as internal memory and when it disappears, the phone will act like there's something wrong with it. Your phone will run, but it will take a good 5 minutes plus to actually load up, and will load extraordinarily slow. I experienced this when I installed another ROM, and forgot to partition my memory card.

Best thing to do mate, is to not carry a large amount of music with you, so just keep to one memory card. The Desire's battery life wouldn't last that long watching videos and or listening to a shed load of music, so just pick and choose.

I know this is an inconvenience but that's how it goes, and I haven't tried any 32gb cards yet so I'm not really wanting to recommend any!

Dan

Guest JonnyG165
The thing is, because your phone is now set up with A2SD+, that SD Card will have the apps which your phone likes to run, but not just that.. It is classing that partition as internal memory and when it disappears, the phone will act like there's something wrong with it. Your phone will run, but it will take a good 5 minutes plus to actually load up, and will load extraordinarily slow. I experienced this when I installed another ROM, and forgot to partition my memory card.

Best thing to do mate, is to not carry a large amount of music with you, so just keep to one memory card. The Desire's battery life wouldn't last that long watching videos and or listening to a shed load of music, so just pick and choose.

I know this is an inconvenience but that's how it goes, and I haven't tried any 32gb cards yet so I'm not really wanting to recommend any!

Dan

Thanks for that, getting somewhere.

My next best alternative is to have both SD cards set up for A2SD. Only thing is I cant partition the 2nd one if my phone wont boot without the 1st one in. Any workarounds anyone can think of without having to use a windows partitioning tool?

Guest bigdan35

Hmm.. Best way to go about it is:

1. Nandroid backup your ROM now through ClockworkRecovery

2. Flash another ROM WITHOUT A2SD or A2SD+

3. Shove in the non-partitioned SD Card

4. Partition it with ROM Manager

5. Go back in to ClockworkRecovery and Restore your Nandroid backup

Should be fine! Just to make sure though, use the first card which you usually use :)

Dan

Guest chris1979
Hi peeps,

Thanks in advance.

I am having a similar problem. I have adam g's opendesire 3.2 running on my desire and partitioned using rom manager. It rebooted showing 3.2gb of fat 32 and the rest as ext 2. I then rebooted the phone and it would't boot until i pulled out the sd card.

When I put the sd card into gparted it claimed that the sd card was only 3.5gb and the partition dissapeared??? strange. So mistakenly I formatted the card with fat 32 to see if i could get back the other bit of space on sd card, which I didn't???Even now the phone won't boot with the sd card. I think the rom is expecting a partition and when there isn't one present it fails to boot. Does this seem correct?

My question is can I not do anything else without flashing another rom. Someone said a hard reset and then pull the sd card before boot will sort it out, but not sure of how to this and also if this is correct.

Any help much apprecaited

Edited by chris1979