So in comparison to other Android phones?

Guest max-greece

Guest max-greece

How does the LG GT 540 compare in functions, features, compatibiliity and so on?

Thus far I am massively impressed with the unit, but as I said in a previous post my old phone was, well, old.

It would appear that in general use its more than fast enough, the keyboard is fine for 2 thumb typing in landscape mode (which I am doing now) and I have not yet found an app which does not work.

Guest TheLostSwede
How does the LG GT 540 compare in functions, features, compatibiliity and so on?

Thus far I am massively impressed with the unit, but as I said in a previous post my old phone was, well, old.

It would appear that in general use its more than fast enough, the keyboard is fine for 2 thumb typing in landscape mode (which I am doing now) and I have not yet found an app which does not work.

I'd say downsides include the resistive touch screen and the mere 256MB of ROM. I have to say that I think the build quality is much better than anything else out there in the same price bracket, but as there isn't much else out there for the same price...

The screen is a bit naff in bright sunlight as well and sometimes it's a little bit sluggish when you're switching between apps. Apart from that, I think it's a pretty decent device.

Guest max-greece
I'd say downsides include the resistive touch screen and the mere 256MB of ROM. I have to say that I think the build quality is much better than anything else out there in the same price bracket, but as there isn't much else out there for the same price...

The screen is a bit naff in bright sunlight as well and sometimes it's a little bit sluggish when you're switching between apps. Apart from that, I think it's a pretty decent device.

I see what you mean about the screen in sunlight. I took it with me to the beach yesterday and had to hide under a towel to see it. The size of the ROM is a new one on me. Why would that be important - or do you mean RAM?

Whilst the touch screen is resistive it does seem to be damn good - I noticed in the early reviews on youtube that they had a lot of difficulty telling it was not capacitive. The lack of multi-touch could be a problem in the future but as yet I have not found the need for it. Even the zooming functions which are a bit clucnky work well enough.

When as is said and done for its price it seems amazing to me. Its retailing in Greece for 209 Euros right now. Once you get into contracts the price falls to nothing for higher use ones. With my very moderate plan it cost 43 Euros -including VAT @ 23%!!

Guest TheLostSwede
I see what you mean about the screen in sunlight. I took it with me to the beach yesterday and had to hide under a towel to see it. The size of the ROM is a new one on me. Why would that be important - or do you mean RAM?

Whilst the touch screen is resistive it does seem to be damn good - I noticed in the early reviews on youtube that they had a lot of difficulty telling it was not capacitive. The lack of multi-touch could be a problem in the future but as yet I have not found the need for it. Even the zooming functions which are a bit clucnky work well enough.

When as is said and done for its price it seems amazing to me. Its retailing in Greece for 209 Euros right now. Once you get into contracts the price falls to nothing for higher use ones. With my very moderate plan it cost 43 Euros -including VAT @ 23%!!

No I mean ROM, since on Android you can only install apps in the ROM and not onto the SD card, at least not unless you got a device with Android 2.2, something we'll most likely never get for the GT540. So once you've installed a dozen or so apps, you're out of space. Bummer...

Guest TheLostSwede

No I mean ROM, since on Android you can only install apps in the ROM and not onto the SD card, at least not unless you got a device with Android 2.2, something we'll most likely never get for the GT540. So once you've installed a dozen or so apps, you're out of space. Bummer...

Oh and you paid too much :) It's only about €186 where I live :D

Guest Irish_Shea

I like the device very much tbh! the ROM bit is a big bummer.. I hope a 2.2 will be released for the GT540 as I've already deleted apps to free up space :\