I'm totally lost!!

Guest STOPTHESEJETS

Guest STOPTHESEJETS

Howdy all!

First post and could use some help.

Will be getting my Desire next week, vodafone Germany, and will have their terrible update on it!! :)

I need a super noob guide on how to get rid of their branding, need to know if I have to unlock it etc, etc.

I'm TOTALLY new to droids (coming from Blackberry) so, any help will be more than appreciated!!!!

Guest tommo123

if it's brand new, then the hboot could be one of the new ones that's not been figured out yet. i think that means you can't do anything :D

if it's the older hboot, then i'm sure someone will be in here momentarily to give you a few links :)

p.s, it's easy. my desire is my first android phone (smartphone really) and i've flashed a load of roms

the most difficult bit, is picking which rom you want to choose

Edited by tommo123

Guest xTc is loVe

So you are totally lost?

You found this Forum (at google ...!?)but u cant search for the things u want to know?

Sry but no help from me!

Hope you have Hboot 0.92 :-/

Guest STOPTHESEJETS
if it's brand new, then the hboot could be one of the new ones that's not been figured out yet. i think that means you can't do anything :P

if it's the older hboot, then i'm sure someone will be in here momentarily to give you a few links :D

p.s, it's easy. my desire is my first android phone (smartphone really) and i've flashed a load of roms

the most difficult bit, is picking which rom you want to choose

See? I don't even know what hboot means! :P

I'd like to be able to load froyo but am very confused on how to do so; I've heard that I need to un-lock or debrand the phone but it all seems so confusing!

Thanks for your speedy reply. :D

So you are totally lost?

You found this Forum (at google ...!?)but u cant search for the things u want to know?

Sry but no help from me!

Hope you have Hboot 0.92 :-/

You seem very rude.

Guess you were never new at anything! :)

Guest xTc is loVe
See? I don't even know what hboot means! :D

I'd like to be able to load froyo but am very confused on how to do so; I've heard that I need to un-lock or debrand the phone but it all seems so confusing!

Thanks for your speedy reply. :D

You seem very rude.

Guess you were never new at anything! :)

Yes i am at Android since January and i Build my own Custom ROM´s etc without starting any "nobisch" thread ;-)

Guest merlin051

When you get your phone hold the back key and turn it on.

If it says HBOOT 0.75 or 0.80 then your in luck, if it says 0.92 you have the latest version which has not been cracked yet.

Guest DigitalC

When you buy the device - go to settings - about phone - Software information.

If the Android Version is 2.1 then read up on this thread for instructions on how to root.

If the Android Version is 2.2, then you most likely wont be able to root it anytime soon.

Hope this helps.

Guest STOPTHESEJETS
Yes i am at Android since January and i Build my own Custom ROM´s etc without starting any "nobisch" thread ;-)

Guess you want a cookie then? :)

People come to forums looking for help, not asinine comments.

GTFO out of my thread if you have nothing to contribute!!

If it says HBOOT 0.75 or 0.80 then your in luck, if it says 0.92 you have the latest version which has not been cracked yet.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again for answering my noob questions! :D

Guest charlie_boy
Guess you want a cookie then? :)

People come to forums looking for help, not asinine comments.

GTFO out of my thread if you have nothing to contribute!!

I'll keep you posted and thanks again for answering my noob questions! :D

The most important thing is not to allow it to run any updates without coming here first. I think you were wise to ask your question as this new hboot is just starting to spread. By all means PM me when it arrives and I'll help you through it.

Guest STOPTHESEJETS
The most important thing is not to allow it to run any updates without coming here first. I think you were wise to ask your question as this new hboot is just starting to spread. By all means PM me when it arrives and I'll help you through it.

I certainly will! :)

Thank you so much!!

Guest Mr Taylor

I will also help you if you need it.

When I was a noob, i found this site invaluable and I owe the people on here for their help

:)

Guest El Nino9

The Original post said vodafone?

they have a different bootloader on their 2.1 roms at the moment. it will most likely be on 0.83.001 which is currently unrootable. very unlikely you will be on 0.92

im sure you can still de-brand with the fro-yo update if you are on 0.92 firmware already without fro yo on the vodafone handset.

lets face it it will not be an unbranded device unless it was purchased like that.

but i certainly hope it does not contain the hboot 0.83.001 or the 0.92 versions.

if anyone also find out how to root the 0.83 it will be grately apperciated, but i doubt anyone will try concentrate on that as majority seem to be stuck on 0.92

the htc wildfire apparently has the same bootloader version as the desire, that its 0.83.001 (just a random thing i found that paul stumbled across)

Guest hazi1964
I will also help you if you need it.

When I was a noob, i found this site invaluable and I owe the people on here for their help

:)

I'm still a noob and still ask an awful lot of questions. Sometimes I get answers, sometimes I don't, all depends who is around at the time really.

Hope you enjoy your desire when you get it and remember, don't do a thing with it without coming to this place first.

Hope you get to root it, good luck.

Alison

Guest STOPTHESEJETS
Guys please don't start a flamewar.

Everybody starts as a noob, that's a fact.

Best regards,

BB

No worries, added him to my ignore list! :)

Thanks to all of you and looking forward to helping others when I one day become proficient!...

Guest FatherD
Howdy all!

First post and could use some help.

Will be getting my Desire next week, vodafone Germany, and will have their terrible update on it!! :D

I need a super noob guide on how to get rid of their branding, need to know if I have to unlock it etc, etc.

I'm TOTALLY new to droids (coming from Blackberry) so, any help will be more than appreciated!!!!

Hi there, Welcome to MoDaCo, well done on bagging a Desire.

You have stumbled on just about the best 'site for resources, information and help .. I know that because just 6 months ago I knew absolutely nothing about Android. Only this 'site, XDA and theunlockr.com had all the information needed to root and upgrade a Hero and lately a Desire.

My advice: take your time, read as many posts as your brain will store!, post your Qs whenever you are unsure about anything, someone useful will give you the right answers.

Best of luck bud! :)

Guest rhedgehog

If the vodafone device comes a with the latest update and hboot on it, you'll probably have hboot 0.83 and rom 1.24.

this is NOT a problem as some others have suggested.

Unrevoked 3 (http://unrevoked.com/recovery/) works fine on that ROM to root and then allow you to install the latest 2.2 roms.

I know cos i did it myself yesterday.

Download HTC Sync from the HTC website and install

go to control panel (or progrmas and features) and uninstall HTC Sync

do NOT uninstall HTC Driver Installer.

turn phone off.

hold volume down and turn on

you will be in hboot

connect to the PC using your USB cable.

when prompted for a driver, you need to manually tell it to install the 'My HTC' driver installed by HTC sync. (that's what i did anyway). It'll tell you it does nto think it is the right driver, but do it anyway

once finished, disconnect cable and reboot phone

go to home>menu>settings>connect to pc>default mode

select disk drive

untick the ask me option.

connect the cable again

when it finishes all the driver bubbles, run unrevoked 3

give it 5 - 10 minutes and you should be good.

you're now rooted.

i did this with a goldcard in, but i believe you don't even need that!

Guest richdoc

Hmmm, I have been struggling to unbrand and root my new Desire which came with HBOOT 0.83 and ROM 1.24.

Unrevoked3 does seem to give root access, but Im not convinced it is indeed root proper. The reason for this is that having played with ROM manager a bit I found the option 'Fix Permissions'. When I try to run that it gives me the message 'An error occured while attempting to run privileged commands', even though I have Superuser Permissions installed and ROM manager defined in there with access. On the other hand Titanium backup and autokiller seem to run fine!

ROM manager also tells me that I have the clockwordmod 2.5.0.1 installed

I have just tried to follow rhedgehog's guide above but I get the same thing each time, unrevoked says it has completed and the phone reboots into recovery but all I get is a black screen. Interestingly a 'adb devices' while in the black screen shows the device is still on and connected, but the screen remains black, and all I can do is pull the battery and reboot.

Also tried pointing unrevoked at Amon Ra 1.7.0.1 R5 but get exactly the same thing.

Correct me if I am wrong but if I cant get into recovery then I cant install a new ROM.

Guest Levanteri
Hmmm, I have been struggling to unbrand and root my new Desire which came with HBOOT 0.83 and ROM 1.24.

Unrevoked3 does seem to give root access, but Im not convinced it is indeed root proper. The reason for this is that having played with ROM manager a bit I found the option 'Fix Permissions'. When I try to run that it gives me the message 'An error occured while attempting to run privileged commands', even though I have Superuser Permissions installed and ROM manager defined in there with access. On the other hand Titanium backup and autokiller seem to run fine!

ROM manager also tells me that I have the clockwordmod 2.5.0.1 installed

I have just tried to follow rhedgehog's guide above but I get the same thing each time, unrevoked says it has completed and the phone reboots into recovery but all I get is a black screen. Interestingly a 'adb devices' while in the black screen shows the device is still on and connected, but the screen remains black, and all I can do is pull the battery and reboot.

Also tried pointing unrevoked at Amon Ra 1.7.0.1 R5 but get exactly the same thing.

Correct me if I am wrong but if I cant get into recovery then I cant install a new ROM.

I have exactly the same problem. I can root with Unrevoked, but then the recovery got broken. And yes, if I've had it right; No recovery -> No custom rom. So it seems that as long as someone finds a way to unroot with HBOOT 0.83 or makes a working recovery solution, there's little we can do. I just have to stick with my rooted stock 2.1 :)

Guest richdoc

Update: I have made some progress thanks to Marinierb over here:

xxxx://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748498&page=3

Basically use unrevoked but use the FILE tab to point it at Clockwork recovery that supports SLCD...

xxxx://crop.floodbit.org/~defer/reco...bravo-slcd.img

bingo now have recovery working woohoo, just doing a nandroid backup now.