Debrand Orange UK Desire

Guest neo158

Guest neo158

I have an Orange UK branded Desire and would like to de-brand it by using an HTC Stock 2.1 ROM but I have heard conflicting information about the 2.2 OTA update causing issues with the radio, some say it works perfectly others say it doesn't. I would like to know if anyone else has done this on a Desire with the same model number and software and if they had problems after the OTA update.

This is the software information and model number:

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband Version: 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

Kernel Version: 2.6.29-3cb3dfbf htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build Number: 1.15.61.10 CL155070 release-keys

Software Number: 1.15.61.10

Model Number: HTC Desire A8181

I should add that I have done two things already, created a Gold Card and unlocked the handset.

Thanks in Advance

Alan

Guest merlin051
I have an Orange UK branded Desire and would like to de-brand it by using an HTC Stock 2.1 ROM but I have heard conflicting information about the 2.2 OTA update causing issues with the radio, some say it works perfectly others say it doesn't. I would like to know if anyone else has done this on a Desire with the same model number and software and if they had problems after the OTA update.

This is the software information and model number:

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband Version: 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

Kernel Version: 2.6.29-3cb3dfbf htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

Build Number: 1.15.61.10 CL155070 release-keys

Software Number: 1.15.61.10

Model Number: HTC Desire A8181

I should add that I have done two things already, created a Gold Card and unlocked the handset.

Thanks in Advance

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have an orange branded UK handset, and I've de-branded and rooted.

You dont have to root but if you want to use Froyo without preventing future root access then its required.

Unlocking the handset un-complicates things, as other orange users have experienced problems with network locks when flashing alternate radios.

Firstly you'll need to use the goldcard and use a RUU for 1.15<de-branded> After installation you will be prompted to update to 1.21, ignore this as this will trigger an OTA update causing your HBOOT to be upgraded to .80 follow thid guide;

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...r-t-mo-handset/

Once you have 1.15 follow the rooting guide,

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...o-1-21-support/

once you are rooted, install clockworkmod/Rom manager from the market place, then use this to flash a new rom<froyo>

All this is done whilst remaining on the .75 boot loader.

Guest neo158
Hi Alan,

I have an orange branded UK handset, and I've de-branded and rooted.

You dont have to root but if you want to use Froyo without preventing future root access then its required.

Unlocking the handset un-complicates things, as other orange users have experienced problems with network locks when flashing alternate radios.

Firstly you'll need to use the goldcard and use a RUU for 1.15<de-branded> After installation you will be prompted to update to 1.21, ignore this as this will trigger an OTA update causing your HBOOT to be upgraded to .80 follow thid guide;

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...r-t-mo-handset/

Once you have 1.15 follow the rooting guide,

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...o-1-21-support/

once you are rooted, install clockworkmod/Rom manager from the market place, then use this to flash a new rom<froyo>

All this is done whilst remaining on the .75 boot loader.

Thanks for the reply.

So if I'm not worried about rooting then I can just install the stock 2.1 ROM and accept the OTA, sorry for seeming a bit dense but this is my first Android phone.

Edited by neo158

Guest merlin051

You would be best off asking someone who has accepted the ota and find out what radio they are now running. I don't mind flashing the same radio to see if it works.

For the record I'm on 5.09.00.20 running pauls stock 2.2 only problem I have is with certain wpa2 WiFi encryptions.

I do know someone else who has the ota from 1.21 and they're not getting the same WiFi issue. They were previously Orange branded aswell.

Edited by merlin051

Guest pampyre

If you take the 2.2 ota update you will have, as far as I've seen, no way, currently, to root and/or install custom/alternative roms.

I dare say it is highly inadvisable.

I'm on orange and installed my first new radio last night - the latest official one. I unfortunately bought an unlock code also but it turns out I didn't need it. But at 8 quid off eBay it's no biggie I guess.

There's no reason (except ease) to get the ota 2.2 rather than just grab it off the forums minus the bootloader. That way you keep your options open for future tweaking.

Guest neo158

Thanks for the replies.

Having looked at other threads I think I know how I'm going to do this successfully (I'm not going to root by the way, not yet at least)

1. Insert Gold Card and remove the SIM then connect to the PC and run the RUU

2. When it's rebooted check for updates and install the 1.21 update

3. When it's rebooted check for updates again and install the OTA for Froyo

4. Replace the Gold Card with the normal SD and reinsert the SIM

Leaving the Gold Card in while getting the updates as not having a Gold Card in seems to be the cause of all the issues.

Do you think this will work?

Thanks in Advance

Alan

Edited by neo158

Guest The Equalizer

Hi Alan

This is my first Android Phone, and I am a bit of newbie still.

However I have an Orange UK Desire.

Yesterday I debranded it, & let it install the new Froyo OTA.

I wasn't aware that leaving the Goldcard in was an issue, so I did.

I have had no problems at all. (its still in)

After all the OTAs I did end up with a locked Desire, but I spent my 8 Quid on Fleabay & got a code.

The phone has been great, no problems to report.

Excuse the newbie question, but when you say radio problems, what exactly do you mean.

The phone makes calls, sends texts etc?

Something else I did today was to install that SDK App thing.

I had to read up on how to do it, but again it all went smoothly & now all my apps install to my MicroSD card, even the ones that didn't before.

Hope this helps

Regards

E

Guest neo158
Hi Alan

This is my first Android Phone, and I am a bit of newbie still.

However I have an Orange UK Desire.

Yesterday I debranded it, & let it install the new Froyo OTA.

I wasn't aware that leaving the Goldcard in was an issue, so I did.

I have had no problems at all. (its still in)

After all the OTAs I did end up with a locked Desire, but I spent my 8 Quid on Fleabay & got a code.

The phone has been great, no problems to report.

Excuse the newbie question, but when you say radio problems, what exactly do you mean.

The phone makes calls, sends texts etc?

Something else I did today was to install that SDK App thing.

I had to read up on how to do it, but again it all went smoothly & now all my apps install to my MicroSD card, even the ones that didn't before.

Hope this helps

Regards

E

Welcome to MoDaCo

Some people with Orange debranded Desires have reported that the 1.21 update disables WiFi and possibly Bluetooth and the ability to make phone calls and send texts. It's good to hear that it worked for you, I'll be giving it a try when I get back from my holiday so I'll see what happens.

Edited by neo158

Guest pampyre

For the record, some bright chaps have figured out how to downgrade the hboot so taking the ota upgrade is no longer a problem if you plan to root/re-flash in the future.

If you want to debrand only, just use a goldcard and flash a plain rom - it will auto update you to the latest.

Nothing unfixable is very likely to happen - just go for it. It's well worth doing IMO.

Guest neo158
For the record, some bright chaps have figured out how to downgrade the hboot so taking the ota upgrade is no longer a problem if you plan to root/re-flash in the future.

If you want to debrand only, just use a goldcard and flash a plain rom - it will auto update you to the latest.

Nothing unfixable is very likely to happen - just go for it. It's well worth doing IMO.

Thanks for that, I'll keep the HBOOT downgrade in mind.

I'm just doing my research before doing anything as I wanted to know the potential issues after "upgrading" from a branded ROM and how to fix them. I'll go for it when I'm back from my holiday. I'll try the way I outlined and see if leaving the Gold Card in resolves the issues others have faced.

Edited by neo158

Guest The Equalizer

Hey Y'all

Just an update.

I have found a flaw, in this debranding system.

It appears that I can't recieve any mms messages, I get a message saying "Message Not downloaded Generic network failure".

Not that it's a massive problem, I don't send many, it's just that a mate sent me a photo & I cant receive it.

I have been trawling the net, which says to check the APN settings, which I have.

I have even deleted the current APN & created a new one & re booted.

Still no joy.

So watch out for that one.

If I find a solution I'll post it.

Cheers

E

Guest alastor
It appears that I can't recieve any mms messages, I get a message saying "Message Not downloaded Generic network failure".

I used to get that all the time on my stock Orange Desire, I think it's just an intermittent problem with the phone in general.

Edited by alastor

Guest The Equalizer
I used to get that all the time on my stock Orange Desire, I think it's just an intermittent problem with the phone in general.

You might be right Alastor.

I have had some issues with my internet conection too.

I ended up resetting my APN & it came back, but it's not as good as it was before I Debranded it.

Guest merlin051
You would be best off asking someone who has accepted the ota and find out what radio they are now running. I don't mind flashing the same radio to see if it works.

For the record I'm on 5.09.00.20 running pauls stock 2.2 only problem I have is with certain wpa2 WiFi encryptions.

I do know someone else who has the ota from 1.21 and they're not getting the same WiFi issue. They were previously Orange branded aswell.

Wifi problem solved, i was copying and pasting the key from googlemail, which seems to copy line breaks aswell, obviously a WPA key with a space is invalid.

changed it to the correct key and no problem.

Guest bilbobillis

Hi Can someone help. I have an Orange HTC desire. I have rooted it and all is OK except, when I try and update using the OTA system. It downloads the update and then when install it re-starts the phone and then starts to upgrade with a green circle and a green bar moves from left to right and then stops a quarter of the way through and then turns into a red question mark. Freezes for about a minute and then reboots. How can I cure this so that I can download 2.2 when it becomes avialble. Sorry I am a total novice and have no idea how to phrase this any better. With thanks. Mark. :D

• 3 weeks later...