Pulse Mini vs ZTE Racer

Guest toyotahilux

Guest toyotahilux

Hi guys, I'm looking to get my first Android phone, and originally I was set on the Pulse Mini, looked great for the price. But since then ZTE have released the Racer. I've had a play on both, and the Racer is definitely faster to use. I later found this is because it is using the MSM7227 chipset, with 600mhz processor as opposed to the Pulse Mini using the 7225.

So I'm now stuck. I like the fact the Pulse Mini has a good community starting up here, whereas the Racer has pretty much nothing. No root, no roms. Both phones are the same price. I also wanted to get into Android development, I have the SDK setup and I'm getting going with Java, as my only programming experince until now has been with Delphi. Are there any problems with setting up th Pulse Mini for development? It seems a little quirky with ADB, but that should be ok.

ZTE Racer Information

It is also known as th ZTE Link elsewhere in Europe, and the ZTE U X850 elsewhere.

Any suggestions as to why I should choose either are much appreciated, I keep changing my mind. :D

Also, if I do go for the Racer, I would love to help out getting things going in the way of rooting/custom roms. :)

Thanks

Guest Azurren
Hi guys, I'm looking to get my first Android phone, and originally I was set on the Pulse Mini, looked great for the price. But since then ZTE have released the Racer. I've had a play on both, and the Racer is definitely faster to use. I later found this is because it is using the MSM7227 chipset, with 600mhz processor as opposed to the Pulse Mini using the 7225.

So I'm now stuck. I like the fact the Pulse Mini has a good community starting up here, whereas the Racer has pretty much nothing. No root, no roms. Both phones are the same price. I also wanted to get into Android development, I have the SDK setup and I'm getting going with Java, as my only programming experince until now has been with Delphi. Are there any problems with setting up th Pulse Mini for development? It seems a little quirky with ADB, but that should be ok.

ZTE Racer Information

It is also known as th ZTE Link elsewhere in Europe, and the ZTE U X850 elsewhere.

Any suggestions as to why I should choose either are much appreciated, I keep changing my mind. :D

Also, if I do go for the Racer, I would love to help out getting things going in the way of rooting/custom roms. :)

Thanks

Looking at the specs the Pulse mini > The ZTE racer. An updated CPU doesn't account for less ram, lower android os version etc.

Plus the pulse mini gives you 6 months free internet :D

Edit: My spec sheet was outdated.. So really the phones are quite even. But specs alone don't mean anything. The Spica vs the pulse.. They both have the same amount of ram yet the pulse can't multitask and the spica can perfectly. You really can't tell

Edited by Azurren

Guest Gjole86
Looking at the specs the Pulse mini > The ZTE racer. An updated CPU doesn't account for less ram, lower android os version etc.

Plus the pulse mini gives you 6 months free internet :D

im not sure, but pulse mini seems to _not_ have GPU. so if u are up for gaming even the simple games tend to lag (like aTilt 3D, Abduction!, but it seems fine with Pulse Racer)

but as the guy above said there is almost no modding whatsoever for ZTE i would go for pulse mini too :D oh yeah, and ZTE Racer looks like crap imo :)

Guest toyotahilux

Thanks for the replies :)

Sorry, I should've mentioned that it was updated to Android 2.1 before release, and some spec sheets say it only has 128mb RAM. Also, I do like the idea of the 6 months free internet, and I've never had any problems with T-Mobile the 4 years I've been with them.

Then again, I'm still leaning slightly towards the Racer because of how much faster and snappier it was. Do the custom roms offer any speed improvements on the Pulse?

Edit: Also, the Pulse Mini has no GPU? Is it not limited by the software maybe? I read that the 7225 does support 3d acceleration, maybe it's a driver problem?

Edited by toyotahilux

Guest toyotahilux

Just as an update to this, haven't had chance to give Neocore a go yet, but if it's useful to anyone, the Racer has now been rooted. :)

Guest Simon O
Just as an update to this, haven't had chance to give Neocore a go yet, but if it's useful to anyone, the Racer has now been rooted. :)

Cool. I just found how to do that.

I don't have one of these myself yet (can't really afford to) but I'd be interested in trying to get a custom rom onto the device or, at the very least, a recovery of some sort.

Would it be possible for you to extract the Android system from your device please?

You can do it through adb shell like this:

cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/recovery.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd1 > /sdcard/boot.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/misc.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/cache.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd4 > /sdcard/system.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd5 > /sdcard/userdata.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd6 > /sdcard/persist.img[/code]

Edited by flibblesan

Guest toyotahilux

Yeah sure, I'll do it when I get chance. Also, should I maybe start a new topic in the Other Devices forum?

Edit: Just seen your topic in the Other Devices forum, I'll give it a go as soon as I can.

Edited by toyotahilux

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gjole86
Just tried out Neocore on the Racer.

240x320 - Audio On - 49fps

240x320 - Audio Off - 50fps

How does that stack up?

The Cageybee

Damn. i thought the racer would be like pulse mini. a fail. My pulse mini results : 7fps

Guest The Cageybee

Wow. That is quite a difference.

Only problem with the Racer is there's no D-pad, which rules out most games, as there's no multitouch either. Really sucks. I've got a bluetooth keyboard, but of course Android doesn't support the HID profile. Arghhh.