Best GPS Navigation App?

Guest nollie

Guest nollie

I'm off to France in September for 4-5 days and I'm in need of a GPS app which I could use for the duration as we'll be driving quite a distance. Though Google Navigation is currently what I use and is sufficient for most of the time, I don't want to incur massive data roaming charges when I am abroad.

What is the general consensus on Android's best GPS navigation app? I've seen CoPilot advertised at £42 with a map of Europe, though this is pretty much the only thing I came across.

I use both Sygic and NavDroyd.

Sygic works fine, not much to say about it.

NavDroyd is very cheap (5 euros) but uses OpenStreepMaps which are not complete yet. Although I support the initiative, I would recommend you not to use that one. (Don't know how well France is covered though).

I used Maps(-) and cached the places that I have intention to visit.

But you would still need an internet connection for calculating the routes in that case...

Guest ozmale

The very best of the lot is

Igo 8 or sometimes called IGo My way. This is the one all the car makers use for their builtin GPS apps.

The trouble is it works fantastic on windows mobile and iphones but has not yet been fully ported to Android.

The best compromise ATM seems to be Co-pilot as others have already said.

Guest Sover3igN
I'm off to France in September for 4-5 days and I'm in need of a GPS app which I could use for the duration as we'll be driving quite a distance. Though Google Navigation is currently what I use and is sufficient for most of the time, I don't want to incur massive data roaming charges when I am abroad.

What is the general consensus on Android's best GPS navigation app? I've seen CoPilot advertised at £42 with a map of Europe, though this is pretty much the only thing I came across.

I would say Co-Pilot!

Navigon works great on iPhone but sux on Android.

Sygic got me very frustrated when I was on route to Luxemburg.

Guest Abnormal1
The very best of the lot is

Igo 8 or sometimes called IGo My way. This is the one all the car makers use for their builtin GPS apps.

The trouble is it works fantastic on windows mobile and iphones but has not yet been fully ported to Android.

The best compromise ATM seems to be Co-pilot as others have already said.

Looks like it does exist on Android.

See here

Wonder if its as good as it was on my windows pda.

edit: Dam Looks like it does not support the Desire's resolution.

Edited by Abnormal1

Guest spiritde

There was a Smartphone Navigation Special in the last german c't covering CoPilot, Navigon Mobile Navigator, iGO My Way, Google Maps and Skobbler. Navigon and CoPilot were on par regarding the calculated routes, with a slight advantage Navigon wise. iGO My Way was solid but not very smart in that regard. All in all Navigon scored first, then came CoPilot, after that iGO My way. Skobbler and Google Maps were both not very convincing. On the other systems Ovi Maps was better than the android solutions (except for Navigon, they got different pros/cons) and TomTom had the best calculated routes but lacked other features.

I personally like my TomTom Go, besides the fact it sends me of the Autobahn just to immediately send me on again, but you always have to pay Tom AND Tom and probably a few other Toms for many things that come free on other systems. It did a good job avoiding traffic jams last time though.