Why can't new HBOOT from the OTA Froyo update be rooted?

Guest nitrox1

Guest nitrox1

Hello all,

I have asked the question in another place.

But I am looking for a slightly technical reason why the new 0.9 HBOOT from the new OTA update can't be rooted?

Is it because HTC has prevented it?

Or it just hasn't been done yet?

Sorry if I haven't read every post, but have read alot about downgrading, instead of rooting the new HBOOT.

I also came from a Motorola Milestone 6 months ago, where it seemed that it was not possible to get through the Motorola system, without their help.

Thank you to all who post replies.

Edited by nitrox1

Guest loney01843
Hello all,

I have asked the question in another place.

But I am looking for a slightly technical reason why the new 0.9 HBOOT from the new OTA update can't be rooted?

Is it because HTC has prevented it?

Or it just hasn't been done yet?

Sorry if I haven't read every post, but have read alot about downgrading, instead of rooting the new HBOOT.

I also came from a Motorola Milestone 6 months ago, where it seemed that it was not possible to get through the Motorola system, without their help.

Thank you to all who post replies.

I read that HTC released the new H|BOOT to prevent ROOTING but that doesn't mean that it cant be done! When HTC released the desire, the way that the system was locked down made it difficult to obtain root yet a few weeks later, xda developers found out a way to gain root privileges.

As for the technical side, I'm not sure what HTC changed to prevent rooting but I am confident that developers will find a way to get around it!

Guest xTc is loVe
I read that HTC released the new H|BOOT to prevent ROOTING but that doesn't mean that it cant be done! When HTC released the desire, the way that the system was locked down made it difficult to obtain root yet a few weeks later, xda developers found out a way to gain root privileges.

As for the technical side, I'm not sure what HTC changed to prevent rooting but I am confident that developers will find a way to get around it!

They close the last used exploit. But we can downgrade to Hboot 0.80 so its not intresting to root Hboot 0.92 ;-)

Guest nitrox1
They close the last used exploit. But we can downgrade to Hboot 0.80 so its not intresting to root Hboot 0.92 ;-)

Ok, if there is no reason to root new HBOOT, due to it being able to be downgraded.

Does that mean there is nothing special about using the new bootloader?

Except that it's trying to prevent developers from entering that section of the phones system?

Also if any one has the time, how does this compare to the nexus one's bootloader?? Which is obviously created for access.

Thanks again for the info

Guest nitrox1

Ps thank you mr bubblebath

Guest Asselberghs
Ok, if there is no reason to root new HBOOT, due to it being able to be downgraded.

Does that mean there is nothing special about using the new bootloader?

Except that it's trying to prevent developers from entering that section of the phones system?

Also if any one has the time, how does this compare to the nexus one's bootloader?? Which is obviously created for access.

Thanks again for the info

IIRC then my boot loader is 0.75 or 0.80 any way it is rooted.

It seems HTC has just updated the Hboot to piss off people that want to root their devices.

Something along the line of "it´s our hardware and our phone and even though you are a customer don´t think your entitled to take control over your phone (by rooting) we won´t allow it"

My boot loader is working fine, no problems and I require no new features of it, I can´t see how they could have enhanced it in a way that gives you something that you would feel you´d lost if you downgrade to a rootable boot loader.

Edited by Asselberghs

Guest rovex

There is a good reason to have a locked out boot loader. Security. Apps that gain root access can damage your phone, not likely the hardware, but certainly the software, and they can certainly access the radio functions and make calls etc that cost you money, invisibly.

Its annoying for us modding fans, but for the general public it makes sense.

Guest Dr_Ash
There is a good reason to have a locked out boot loader. Security. Apps that gain root access can damage your phone, not likely the hardware, but certainly the software, and they can certainly access the radio functions and make calls etc that cost you money, invisibly.

yes but it still doesn't make sense to make it almost impossible to root. Average Joe Bloggs aren't going to root their phone anyway, so the phone is not at risk. So it makes no sense on that front to try and lock out people that actually do want to root their phones

Guest Stelard
yes but it still doesn't make sense to make it almost impossible to root. Average Joe Bloggs aren't going to root their phone anyway, so the phone is not at risk. So it makes no sense on that front to try and lock out people that actually do want to root their phones

I think perhaps rovex meant HTC are trying to prevent a situation wherein a properly crafted app can gain root privileges without the user's consent; to which end they would attempt to close any vulnerability they find, as a preventative measure.

Still doesn't explain why they can't offer people the option if they want it, tho...

Guest venturerider

I think the carriers also have something to do with it. Perharps they want to lock out certain functionality. For example, if they want to sell more of those USB cell antennas, then they will disable the tethering functionality in their phones.

Guest nitrox1

Are you implying, that by rooting an android phone through the bootloader, you can or could leave your phone vulnerable to an android based spyware, or phishing app, where by you personal information could be sent to a 3rd party? Or exploit any thing on your phone? Could this also mean that by installing an unknown rom, this could already be happening? Or is it more like linux in the sense that you must give permission for any changes? (sorry it sounds a little paranoid)

Similar to what happened to jailbroken iphones, where I 3rd party was able to lock out the users from their phones, due to not changing a default password.