I've bricked my flatmate's Desire?

Guest pete.major

Guest pete.major

My flatmate recently got a Desire from Vodafone, it's got their latest ROM on it with all their bloatware.

I told him I could debrand it, but the goldcard method didn't work because he had bootloader 0.83.

So I followed a thread to this site on how to downgrade the bootloader:

http://www.tolxdorff.net/tutorials/?step=2

So I did step 4... and then the screen went blank. I left it for a while, I thought it may be installing...

After a long time, I pulled the battery out and rebooted the phone ... I'm pretty nervous by this point LOL

Anyway, the phone reboots and I can hear the annoying HTC chime, which never happened on the Voda rom...

But I can't see anything. It appears that the phone is booting up, but the screen is not working.

Anyone got any advice on what I might do to fix this or am I toast? Grateful for any advice.

Guest bigdan35

Hmm, can you access the recovery menu mate? If you can, you can save the Desire. While you're there.. What's the HBOOT? Has it changed?

Guest SavageCore
Hmm, can you access the recovery menu mate? If you can, you can save the Desire. While you're there.. What's the HBOOT? Has it changed?

Holding power and back / vol down still gives a blank screen.

Guest pete.major

Thanks for your reply

I'm pretty sure that I can get into recovery, it's just I can't see anything because the screen's not working...

I could fumble around in the dark and try a few things, what should I do if I could access recovery?

Guest mdw211

I've got the same issue. It's actually running fine though, it just hasn't turned the screen on (adb shell with the black screen shows /sbin/recovery working and everything else looks fine). Still looking for a fix for the display issue.