I think I'm being really thick

Guest bigrich18

Guest bigrich18

Right, so, I have an HTC Desire on orange, I followed the guide to debrand, which worked wonders.

But now i want to try and update to froyo but I cant find how to do it. I have been reading and re-reading the posts here and have just completely confused myself and am now totally lost.

Firmware version:

2.1-update1

Baseband version:

32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

Kernel version:

2.6.29-82821fb5

htc-kernel@and18-2 1

Build number

1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys

Software number:

Browser version:

WebKit 3.1

I can't even figure out if it's possible to update to froyo from here or not, and being new to android, i'm getting to worried about bricking my phone or something....

If anyone could help me out and tell me what I need to do now I would be forever in your debt...

Please.....

Guest hazi1964

Are you wanting just the official ota update or are you wanting to be able to root your phone?

If you are not interested in rooting your phone, you can do the ota update. To find out if any updates are available, go to the phone's settings, about phone, software. You should see an option to check for updates, select that and it will tell you if there is an update available. If there is, you can just select to download it and it will do the rest on it's own.

BEFORE doing this, think about whether you want to root or not because the official ota update could make rooting more difficult.

I recommend you have a read about rooting and what you can do when you have root access. Don't do anything with your phone until you are sure or have had answers from more experienced members. I'm still fairly new to android but one thing I knew I wanted within days of having my desire was root access.

Please wait to hear what others have to say before doing anything. I know you want to play with your lovely new phone etc but patience really does pay here. I have successfully rooted, installed custom roms etc but had quite alot of glitches along the way so hang fire until you get a better understanding of things.

Sorry I am not much help am I?

Meanwhile, enjoy your phone. :-)

Alison

Right, so, I have an HTC Desire on orange, I followed the guide to debrand, which worked wonders.

But now i want to try and update to froyo but I cant find how to do it. I have been reading and re-reading the posts here and have just completely confused myself and am now totally lost.

Firmware version:

2.1-update1

Baseband version:

32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

Kernel version:

2.6.29-82821fb5

htc-kernel@and18-2 1

Build number

1.15.405.4 CL155070 release-keys

Software number:

Browser version:

WebKit 3.1

I can't even figure out if it's possible to update to froyo from here or not, and being new to android, i'm getting to worried about bricking my phone or something....

If anyone could help me out and tell me what I need to do now I would be forever in your debt...

Please.....

Guest bigrich18

thanks for the quick reply, i've been reading about rooting and I dont think i'm that fussed really.

i would just like to get my hands on froyo!

However when i try to do an OTA update i get the message that 1.21.405.2 (27.07MB) is available but when i try to update it, it doesn't work and i get the red question mark of death!

Guest lenik
i've been reading about rooting and I dont think i'm that fussed really.

please, don't do OTA upgrades, this is very easy way to get unrootable phone you won't be able to do much about.

your original software version suggests there are plenty of easy methods to root your particular phone, and after you get it rooted, you may easily download and install any ROM and change back to any other ROM you like (you cannot revert after OTA upgrade).

so read one of sticky topics about rooting and get going, it's not that hard :)

Guest JonnyG165
please, don't do OTA upgrades, this is very easy way to get unrootable phone you won't be able to do much about.

your original software version suggests there are plenty of easy methods to root your particular phone, and after you get it rooted, you may easily download and install any ROM and change back to any other ROM you like (you cannot revert after OTA upgrade).

so read one of sticky topics about rooting and get going, it's not that hard :)

Agreed.

Plus you really want to root to get rid of all that useless stuff that Orange insist upon adding to their roms. There's loads of different guides that are all well written around, and if followed to the letter will not result in you bricking your phone.

Search here on Modaco, Google "Unrevoked" or check out theunlockr.com.

Just be aware that if you update your phone to the newest radio version, as you're on Orange you're probably going to need a sim unlock code also available from loads of places, usually less than a tenner. I really wouldn't do the OTA update (i'm surprised it's even available for Orange users yet) you might not be bothered about the benefits of rooting at the moment, but seeing as you're reading these forums it probably won't be long before you see something you fancy doing that you've locked yourself out of doing.

Guest FatherD

Hi there, welcome to moDaCo :)

I would just say a big YES to all the advice so far! I didn't think that I would need/want to root my Desire until finding some useful apps in the Market that only run with root privileges, like Titanium backup to name one.

+1 for going over to the theunlockr.com that is where, with some patience I got through the processes of making a goldcard (pretty simple, but you must be careful!) which is necessary to get the phone rooted. Most if not all of the remaining stuff is here at MoDaCo, I am running Paul's r7 version of FroYo, it is just about perfect :D

The very best of luck

Guest bigdan35

Mate, don't think that you're thick. Most of us have been through exactly what you've been through and yes it does get rather frustrating when you can't find what you want to do straight away.

Rooting was the best thing that I've ever done, personally... When I joined this forum I didn't know anything, and I still don't know it all but I, like many others on Orange wanted to get away from their Branding, their bloatware basically. I do miss Orange Maps though, as the contract I've got has Orange Maps inclusive. But others are better so it's alright.

The best thing to do, you've debranded it? That's a good start. You're not rooted? Most of the time when you debrand via a ROM, they're usually rooted already unless you used a generic RUU. Best thing about rooting imo is the apps which are available, and just feeling like the phone is your own. Take a look at some of the guides in this forum (sticky's) and over at xda-developers, there are some fantastic guides on how to root, how to upgrade to Froyo.

I've got a Rooted Froyo ROM at the moment, Roufianos's 2.2, almost perfect, battery life is superb, fast and stable. And overstepping the mark, but if you have "A2SD+" (Apps to SD), you will have to partition your sd card (with ROM Manager - App on Market) and then you'll have heaps of space for all the ROMs you'll ever want. I've got about 50+ apps installed at the mo and I've still got 100mbs "internal" space left.

Just remember to follow the guides precisely and you'll be fine :). If you need any help we're always here!

Dan

Guest tigris666
Best thing about rooting imo is the apps which are available, and just feeling like the phone is your own.

Do you have to do anything special for these magical "root-only" apps to appear? Or do they automatically appear in marketplace once you have rooted (which would imply connecting to marketplace has access to info about your phone, e.g. it being rooted)?

Take a look at some of the guides in this forum (sticky's) and over at xda-developers, there are some fantastic guides on how to root, how to upgrade to Froyo.

I'm trying to do a bucket load of reading before i decide on which ROM i settle with. At the moment I'm just on the modaca 1.15 whatever rooted one i found in a sticky here, but really want something newer than 1.15. Is there a list of available ROMs somewhere? All i can find are enormous amounts of HOWTO threads, all with their own different instructions and all with their own direct links to ROMs.

I've got a Rooted Froyo ROM at the moment, Roufianos's 2.2, almost perfect, battery life is superb, fast and stable. And overstepping the mark, but if you have "A2SD+" (Apps to SD), you will have to partition your sd card (with ROM Manager - App on Market) and then you'll have heaps of space for all the ROMs you'll ever want. I've got about 50+ apps installed at the mo and I've still got 100mbs "internal" space left.

Where did you get the rooted froyo (I assume froyo is code for 2.2)? Everything I've read says froyo can't be rooted yet, or attempts to do so are clearly marked beta versions and big warnings with use at own risk etc etc. Dunno if i'm ready to take that jump.

Lastly, sorry for long winded post, in regards to your partition setup for apps/roms etc. I assume this is so you don't have to go downloading/installing all the apps again whenever you switch ROMs. Could this also be done just with a seperate SD card? E.g. you need your goldcard to flash right, anytime you want a new ROM, you switch your goldcard in, whack on the new ROM, follow the flashing process, then when done swap the old card with apps back in? Sounds too simple, perhaps apps need to be installed rather than just exist on the SD card?

Guest Elbereth

Froyo is indeed Android 2.2, Eclair being Android 2.1.

Applications on market which require root are often marked (root) in the title you can use them with an unrooted phone but they will not work fine.

As far as I know (I don't have a branded/locked HTC Desire so it might not apply to your Orange phone) once rooted with Android 2.1 you can update to any rooted ROM version of 2.2 without goldcard. What is difficult at the moment is rooting a phone that has the OTA Froyo update from HTC.

Guest Dr_Ash
Where did you get the rooted froyo (I assume froyo is code for 2.2)? Everything I've read says froyo can't be rooted yet, or attempts to do so are clearly marked beta versions and big warnings with use at own risk etc etc. Dunno if i'm ready to take that jump.

Lastly, sorry for long winded post, in regards to your partition setup for apps/roms etc. I assume this is so you don't have to go downloading/installing all the apps again whenever you switch ROMs. Could this also be done just with a seperate SD card? E.g. you need your goldcard to flash right, anytime you want a new ROM, you switch your goldcard in, whack on the new ROM, follow the flashing process, then when done swap the old card with apps back in? Sounds too simple, perhaps apps need to be installed rather than just exist on the SD card?

1. The official Froyo for nexus one has been rooted for a long time. The new official OTA update from HTC has been rooted as well and this is what Paul bases his MCR r7 on - which is the ROM I am using at the moment.

2. The real reason for having a rom with A2SD+ (Apps 2 SD +) is so that all apps are installed to a partition on your SD card, including the chache files too - so that you conserve your internal memory and are able to install MANY apps without it eating into your app storage space. The internal memory that comes with the Desire is pitifully small and runs out quickly if ou are downloading lots of apps, which a lot of us do.

I would say definitely root your phone. Official releases are rooted and posted on these forums within hours, in fact they are nearly always available before the OTA updates. If you root, you will have more control AND you'll be able to update quicker.

Just my 2 cents...

Guest bigdan35
Do you have to do anything special for these magical "root-only" apps to appear? Or do they automatically appear in marketplace once you have rooted (which would imply connecting to marketplace has access to info about your phone, e.g. it being rooted)?

The special "root-only" apps are on the Market already, nothing else special appears. You can also pick up apps which are developed and then put on reputable forums for root only access.

I'm trying to do a bucket load of reading before i decide on which ROM i settle with. At the moment I'm just on the modaca 1.15 whatever rooted one i found in a sticky here, but really want something newer than 1.15. Is there a list of available ROMs somewhere? All i can find are enormous amounts of HOWTO threads, all with their own different instructions and all with their own direct links to ROMs.

There aren't really a list of ROMs as such, but please feel free to go to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=628 and check out the new ROMs which are being developed. They're fantastic. The guide at the top, the "TUT" tutorial is a great way to start, and I used that when I first started.

The rooted Froyo I got was from the forum I just linked prior to this, and it's a very stable ROM, but unfortunately the developer's Desire died on him a couple of days ago so until he's got a new one, he can't do any developing. But I do recommend you using LeeDrOiD's ROM, or NexTSense ROM, they are very stable, fantastic, fast and essentially perfect. Paul's ROMs here are great too, the r5 and r6 releases are very stable, and he's developing the r7 release (new froyo OTA release a few days back), which will be in kitchen form until it's come to it's end of development.

Froyo has been rooted, even the newest OTA, they've taken the HBOOT out (the HBOOT can make it unrootable), so it's still the official, just without that. Even the ported Froyo from the Nexus One was as stable as anything, and I used that for a good month before turning to another ROM.

And as for switching to a new ROM. Once you've done your goldcard, once you've got a rooted ROM on your phone. You're rooted, you're fine, it's great. Now for the great news! If you download ROM Manager from the Android Market, run it, and you can partition your SD card through there, so you can have A2SD or A2SD+ (more storage for apps, fantastic!). Not only that, you can then flash ROMs as you please, as long as you're reading carefully about such things as flashing new Radios etc. All you will need to do is through ROM Manager, install ClockworkRecovery and then you can flash a new ROM through there, no need for a goldcard or anything, and you're being safer by flashing a new ROM from your SD Card than pushing it through adb. And as for your apps, you won't need to download them all again, once you're rooted, also download Titanium Backup (some ROMs come with that preinstalled), so you can save your apps and transfer them from ROM to ROM. Also, if you're not rooted at the moment, download ASTRO Manager from the Market and back up your apps there. Then just install ASTRO on another ROM to reinstall your apps.

Well, I hope that's helped, and christ that's possibly the most I've typed in a long time!

Dan