Previously unanswered Specific question about Orange and the new Radio

Guest theboxman

Guest theboxman

Just went add free - currently building my new desire rom....

Quick question about the new radio ROM that hasn't been answered clearly beforehand (I searched):

My understanding is:

If you're on orange and install it your handset is likely to become locked out and you will need to purchase your unlock code. Then you can use it happily.

However:

I have already unlocked my HTC Desire.....So the question is is it safe for me to install the new radio now? Or will my phone lock out again?

And if it does would the same code be required to unlock it or a different one that I'd have to purchase again?

Answers or thoughts much appreciated all! :-D

PS - to say thanks for all the work I went Ad Free As promised paul :-D Student loan folks finally paid me and it was the first thing I did!

Edited by theboxman

Guest franciswills

If you're phone's unlocked, it's unlocked. Flashing the radio will not lock it back up (at least, my experience seems to confirm that but I don't want to be held responsible if someone else gets different behaviour).

I did exactly the same as you and unlocked my Orange UK phone some time ago so I could do radio upgrades. Since then I've updated to Froyo and the corresponding radio and all is well.

Guest theboxman
If you're phone's unlocked, it's unlocked. Flashing the radio will not lock it back up (at least, my experience seems to confirm that but I don't want to be held responsible if someone else gets different behaviour).

I did exactly the same as you and unlocked my Orange UK phone some time ago so I could do radio upgrades. Since then I've updated to Froyo and the corresponding radio and all is well.

Thanks Franciswills :-D

Updating now. Only a few minutes until froyo goodness....

Well then a wait while titanium backup restores the huge number of programs I use :-D

Lets hope my imobsters account survives this!

Guest duryard

I am on voda phone which I know aint orange but my phone was and still is unlocked after upgrading to latest radio. Am also rooted

Guest buttonsandzips

I got an Orange Desire yesterday, just installed clockwork recovery using unrevoked, flashed MCR r7 and new radio, working no problems at all without an unlock.