Bit of advice for a Orange branded Desire

Guest slain

Guest slain

Hi guys,

I've managed to snaffle an Orange-branded HTC Desire today for a good price. Unlocked it today on HTCCODE using the "coming soon" service 3 database! My current contract is on O2, so I thought it'd be nice if I could stick an O2 ROM on it as I hear other carriers ROMS are a lot less heavily branded. I've found roms here on Modaco at http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...tc-desire-roms/

Now, I'm a Linux user so have tried using the Windows based updater in VirtualBox. I've installed HTC Sync too as I hear the drivers are required to make the flashing process run smoothly. Every time I try, I get an error 170 - USB CONNECTION ERROR even though the device is detected by Windows XP.

One thing worth noting is the person who sold me this sneakily left out the included MicroSD card when telling it to me. Could this be part of the problem?

Cheers.

Guest bigdan35
Hi guys,

I've managed to snaffle an Orange-branded HTC Desire today for a good price. Unlocked it today on HTCCODE using the "coming soon" service 3 database! My current contract is on O2, so I thought it'd be nice if I could stick an O2 ROM on it as I hear other carriers ROMS are a lot less heavily branded. I've found roms here on Modaco at http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...tc-desire-roms/

Now, I'm a Linux user so have tried using the Windows based updater in VirtualBox. I've installed HTC Sync too as I hear the drivers are required to make the flashing process run smoothly. Every time I try, I get an error 170 - USB CONNECTION ERROR even though the device is detected by Windows XP.

One thing worth noting is the person who sold me this sneakily left out the included MicroSD card when telling it to me. Could this be part of the problem?

Cheers.

Not sure if you need a MicroSD card, but I've always used one whenever pushing anything with adb, and never had a problem. With your USB Connection Error, try and put on USB Debugging Mode in Settings on your Desire, that might help :)

Dan

Guest ianm2k4

As you are a linux user have you got all the usb device drivers loaded this may be the reason you are having problems - cant be sure as you are using virtualbox. Typically these come from the HTC Sync app. Not sure where you get them for base linux - windoze user myself.

You need the micro sd card to store stuff like music and the like, also if you want to use apps2sd.

When you got it going I would recommend you try the r5 release - I had that on for a few weeks and it was very good. Now I have on a rom from xda - waiting to see what comes out of r7 - and it is also a cracker.

Guest rowanparker
As you are a linux user have you got all the usb device drivers loaded this may be the reason you are having problems - cant be sure as you are using virtualbox. Typically these come from the HTC Sync app. Not sure where you get them for base linux - windoze user myself.

You don't need any drivers for Linux.

I tried to do it through virtualbox (on a Hero but not that that matters) and I kept getting the same error as you. In the end I gave up and borrowed someones vista machine. If you do succeed I'd be interested as to how.

Guest slain

Well, I got a little further. I got partway through the flash verification process before it bombed out with the same error. I think that perhaps I need a gold card making in order to perform the ROM update? I'm not updating to a rooted ROM, but from what I've read on these forums it seems like the gold card is still needed to switch from say (in this case) an Orange UK ROM to an O2 ROM?

Can anyone confirm that for me? If so, I'll borrow an SD card before my new one arrives on Tuesday.

Guest merlin051

do run a RUU package on an orange branded phone you will need a goldcard.

once the phone is rooted a goldcard is no longer required for flashing roms via clockworkmod.

Orange UK Desire rooted.

Guest slain
do run a RUU package on an orange branded phone you will need a goldcard.

once the phone is rooted a goldcard is no longer required for flashing roms via clockworkmod.

Orange UK Desire rooted.

Excellent, I'll borrow a MicroSD card tonight then and have a go. Am I right in thinking in order to get to the factory O2 UK ROM, I'd have to go from Orange UK > Generic rooted via GoldCard > O2 UK? If I'm happy with the generic rooted ROM and it can take OTA updates, I may just stick with that.

Thanks for all the help from everyone so far, by the way!

Guest rowanparker
Excellent, I'll borrow a MicroSD card tonight then and have a go. Am I right in thinking in order to get to the factory O2 UK ROM, I'd have to go from Orange UK > Generic rooted via GoldCard > O2 UK? If I'm happy with the generic rooted ROM and it can take OTA updates, I may just stick with that.

Thanks for all the help from everyone so far, by the way!

May I ask why you'd want the O2 ROM over a generic ROM?