Question - Root/2.2

Guest Nelsaidi

Guest Nelsaidi

Hey,

A few questions, well appreciated if you can help me out:

1) Any guide on upgrading to pauls kitchen 2.2 from 2.1-update1 HBOOT 0.75? (i'm in the process of donating for access) - or is it pretty same as current?

2) Does the kitchen one have root?

3) I'm a noob to all this android stuff, so help on terminology such as HBOOT,(de)odexed, etc - anything a noob rooting their phone would need to know would be great - and etc

Thanks

Edited by Nelsaidi

Guest Sammy83

Hi and welcome,

the kitchen ROM has root and can be flash the same way as any other custom rom

if you only want 2.2 rooted update then the pre baked one from paul will do the job.

For anything else just read a bit around the forum and you'll find anything you need.

Guest Nelsaidi
For anything else just read a bit around the forum and you'll find anything you need.

I know, I'm just being abit lazy - I'm trying my best to do so from this forum + xda, but thought if someone answers these questions would help me understand lol =]

thanks for the answer

EDIT

To get this straight, you follow the tutorial to get ROOT, and from there you can flash different roms right? if so hows the second step done? (still trying to find out)

EDIT2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696189 seems to be spot on for me :)!

Edited by Nelsaidi

Guest bigdan35
Hey,

A few questions, well appreciated if you can help me out:

1) Any guide on upgrading to pauls kitchen 2.2 from 2.1-update1 HBOOT 0.75? (i'm in the process of donating for access) - or is it pretty same as current?

2) Does the kitchen one have root?

3) I'm a noob to all this android stuff, so help on terminology such as HBOOT,(de)odexed, etc - anything a noob rooting their phone would need to know would be great - and etc

Thanks

Hello mate, and welcome to the forum! You've found the place to be :).

1. There are many guides on this forum and over at xda-developers (HTC Desire Section) which will help you upgrade from 2.1-update1, with a HBOOT of 0.75. Is your phone branded, locked to carrier? For example, is it on Orange? If so, you will have to also buy an unlock code for the Radio (which I will talk about in a sec). You will probably have to root your phone in order to do all this.

2. The Kitchen ROMs are fully rooted yes, and I'm glad that you're donating for access!

3. All you need to know about HBOOT is is that you're on 0.75 and you don't need to worry about anything else. Other's are released so they cannot be downgraded/customised, but they are, so don't worry. Odexing and Deodexing basically relate to customising, modifying and adding themes to apks, etc. Don't need to worry yourself about that either.

Radio Image - Don't think of the Radio Image as an FM/AM Radio, think of it more as a Driver Device for things to run smoother on your phone, like Wi-fi, GPS, GSM, HSDPA.. Froyo 2.2 needs the newest Radio, so if you're locked to a carrier (try another simcard) you will need to unlock or you could simlock your phone, not a good idea.

A2SD/A2SD+: Apps 2 SD (not Froyo Official) is a fantastic way to get more apps on your phone, you will have to partition your SD card with something like ROM Manager (available on Market) and you will have a shed load of space for apps, more than you could actually want. A lot of ROMs like to have A2SD as the developers implement it, but on this forum's kitchen, you can not select it, but I recommend it :D.

Let us know if you wanna know about anything else!

Dan

Guest Nelsaidi

Yeah I found out that radio image was something else (admittedly at first wondered why FM was so important) - itt i'm currently locked to tmobile - so if i an unlock code of ebay/wherever i can then update the radio?

Guest bigdan35
Yeah I found out that radio image was something else (admittedly at first wondered why FM was so important) - itt i'm currently locked to tmobile - so if i an unlock code of ebay/wherever i can then update the radio?

Aye mate, if you get an unlock code for your desire, then shove a different simcard (not t-mobile) in to your phone and enter the code when prompted. You can then update the radio without hassle and it won't simlock. I did this for my Branded Orange Desire, worked perfectly :).

Dan

Guest Nelsaidi

Is there any advantage of the new radio image? I'm on Tmobile (locked), have people upgrade from simlocked without issueS?

Edited by Nelsaidi