HTC Desire Orange brand

Guest SlikRik

Guest SlikRik

Evening all,

I really need a bit of advice and possible some help also. I've just recently got my HTC Desire Orange branded at the moment - forgive me if im a bit thick i dont really go on forums mcuh so finding it difficult to navigate and search what im after

So i've had a play around with the phone and i obviously want to get rid of some of the rubbish that has come with the phone but it doesnt allow me to remove these, so after some looking around on here i have found out i need root access and i've got no idea how to go about this. ive seen a few tutorials flying around but not to sure which is the best to go for.

My HBOOT is 0.83

and my rom (i think) is 1.22.61.1

what is the best way to root my phone and how safe is it?

secondly i see alot of people talking about flashing roms and custom roms i'd like to know what these are and whats the benefits of using them

any help and advice would be appreciated

Guest bigdan35
Evening all,

I really need a bit of advice and possible some help also. I've just recently got my HTC Desire Orange branded at the moment - forgive me if im a bit thick i dont really go on forums mcuh so finding it difficult to navigate and search what im after

So i've had a play around with the phone and i obviously want to get rid of some of the rubbish that has come with the phone but it doesnt allow me to remove these, so after some looking around on here i have found out i need root access and i've got no idea how to go about this. ive seen a few tutorials flying around but not to sure which is the best to go for.

My HBOOT is 0.83

and my rom (i think) is 1.22.61.1

what is the best way to root my phone and how safe is it?

secondly i see alot of people talking about flashing roms and custom roms i'd like to know what these are and whats the benefits of using them

any help and advice would be appreciated

Mmm, seems like you're a little stuck mate. HBOOT 0.83 is too difficult to downgrade. Best thing for you is to upgrade to the OTA Release when Orange release it (don't know when that will be, might be already) and that'll upgrade the HBOOT to 0.92 then you can downgrade to HBOOT 0.80, then you will be able to root and get rid of debranding.

The benefits of custom roms and all are fantastic mate, you can pick and choose what you want on there, and with A2SD and A2SD+, you can store apps on the SD card, forcefully, makes a partition on your SD card so a part of your SD card is classed as internal memory.. so you can store more apps, bigger apps, happy days.

But before that, you're carrier locked to Orange, you WILL have to buy an unlock code from a reputable retailer (eBay.. etc) and unlock your phone, has to be done in order for you flash and update your Radio on your phone. A Radio isn't FM or AM, it's a driver for devices like Wi-Fi, GSM, HSDPA, etc etc etc.

Sorry for the bad news, but at the moment you're royally screwed :)

Dan

Guest SlikRik
Mmm, seems like you're a little stuck mate. HBOOT 0.83 is too difficult to downgrade. Best thing for you is to upgrade to the OTA Release when Orange release it (don't know when that will be, might be already) and that'll upgrade the HBOOT to 0.92 then you can downgrade to HBOOT 0.80, then you will be able to root and get rid of debranding.

The benefits of custom roms and all are fantastic mate, you can pick and choose what you want on there, and with A2SD and A2SD+, you can store apps on the SD card, forcefully, makes a partition on your SD card so a part of your SD card is classed as internal memory.. so you can store more apps, bigger apps, happy days.

But before that, you're carrier locked to Orange, you WILL have to buy an unlock code from a reputable retailer (eBay.. etc) and unlock your phone, has to be done in order for you flash and update your Radio on your phone. A Radio isn't FM or AM, it's a driver for devices like Wi-Fi, GSM, HSDPA, etc etc etc.

Sorry for the bad news, but at the moment you're royally screwed :D

Dan

hey dan thanks for the info, much appreciated - only particular reason why i am with orange on the desire is i'm already an employee so benefits :)

so i'll have to wait i guess then, not the end of the world just put up with it until im able to do what needs to be done!

cheers

Guest JonnyG165
hey dan thanks for the info, much appreciated - only particular reason why i am with orange on the desire is i'm already an employee so benefits :)

so i'll have to wait i guess then, not the end of the world just put up with it until im able to do what needs to be done!

cheers

LOL at even Orange employees wanting rid of those sub-standard apps!

Guest pete_thomson

Working for them doesn't mean we have to put up with their substandard ROMs.

I had my Touch HD unlock and flash within 20 mins of having it! My Desire has only held on a little longer as it's my first Android phone.