New (very fast) lag fix using internal memory and playlogo1 hack

Guest portman0

Guest DeepBass909
If you re-read/walk through the scripts to create this "fix" and to undo this "fix", you see the following commands:

create:

echo "Moving boot animation"

busybox mv /system/bin/playlogos1 /system/bin/playlogosnow

echo "Copying over init scripts"

busybox cp /sdcard/playlogos1 /system/bin/playlogos1
undo:
echo "Removing auto boot support"

busybox mv /system/bin/playlogosnow /system/bin/playlogos1

So, the original playlogos1 was moved/renamed to playlogosnow

then the new script was moved/named playlogos1

To undo, all we do is move/rename the playlogosnow file back to playlogos1

I just checked on my phone and the playlogosnow is not a script, it is some kind of binary.

Pretty clear that what we did was rename the bootlogo binary with a script that then calls the bootlogo binary to play. The original playlogos1 was not just a script as far as I can tell.

Are you sure your playlogosnow is actually corrupted. You should be able to just move/rename it back to playlogos1 to get the original playlogos1 back on your phone.

Anyways, in case you really did corrupt your playlogosnow file, here's a copy off my phone you can use.

So remember, if your after the original playlogos1 file, just rename this upload to playlogos1, since this is the playlogos1 from my phone that was renamed playlogosnow as part of the fix.

Hope this helps!

Great, tnx. Replacing the playlogos1 file with a copy of the original one restored the phone to it's former glory :D The copy I had was corrupted. A wise lesson for the next time, make a failsave copy of the files before playing :D

Guest DeepBass909

This evening I've tried again with the fix, and again, is seemed to go wrong. But, I found out why.

First of all, I'm running the latest version of busybox available (v 1.8), and herein lays the problem. This version doesn't include "mount" (which by the way is already supplied by the basic OS, so no need for a busybox version anyway).

My Galaxy is running a clean and stock ROM, based on 2.1

This changes some minor things in the manual:

adb shell

su

busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/dataimg bs=1024 count=1048576

busybox mknod /dev/loop0 b 7 0

busybox losetup /dev/loop0 /data/dataimg

busybox mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0

mkdir /data/data1

[s]busybox [/s]mount -o remount,rw -t rootfs /

mv /system/bin/playlogos1 /system/bin/playlogosnow

cp /sdcard/playlogos1 /system/bin/playlogos1

cp /sdcard/userinit.sh /system/bin/userinit.sh

chmod 755 /system/bin/playlogos1

chmod 755 /system/bin/userinit.sh

[s]busybox [/s]mount -o remount,ro -t rootfs /

reboot

Then there is the "userinit.sh" script. Sadly this also includes some small errors (one of the already being pointed out by oachim. The other problem I had, was that the special loop-device (/dev/loop0) wouldn't mount, and the cause was again busybox.

Here's a list of the changes I needed to make:

Line 2: Replace "chmod" with "chown" (you're assigning a new owner, not setting moderating permissions)

Line 24: Remove "busybox" (same reason as above)

Line 48: Remove "busybox" (same reason as above)

After these changing and simply by revoking userinit.sh from a terminal client, the Quadrant score changed from the stock 840 to a wopping 2252!!!

Guest DistortedLoop
Great, tnx. Replacing the playlogos1 file with a copy of the original one restored the phone to it's former glory :D The copy I had was corrupted. A wise lesson for the next time, make a failsave copy of the files before playing :D

I've said many times in these threads, but I'll say again (not to you specifically, but to everyone in general):

Get ClockWork ROM Mgr from the market. Use it to make a nandroid backup of your phone. Make sure that the update.zip that loads ClockWork Recovery from standard recovery is in the root of your internal sdcard BEFORE you even think of playing around with this stuff. It could save you a lot of grief.

I managed to hose my phone the first time I tried doing this (using the one click batch file on xda), fortunately a nandroid restore put me right back where I had started painlessly.

Another interesting thing I read on 7618695"]xda that is very promising for us is that the Sammy apparently recovers any damage to the /data partition on its own:

I'm loving this phone for modding though! You can beat it senseless and it just comes back for more! ;) If you delete a folder in /data, like /data/data and reboot the phone, it actually recreates the /data/data from the stock firmware image it has flashed. So it's actually a quick way to reflash your device! :D I was wondering how people without the right busybox weren't having to reflash, and it is because of this.

Guest ragflan

I can't help but think something is wrong with my device. I see the Quadrant scores increasing. With mimocan, I got 1700, with this fix I got 2100. And I can notice that everything opens quickly and the phone is smooth. But I still see way too many black screens. For example: I was just trying to uninstall an app and the whole screen went black then the phone vibrated and then vibrate like 3 times more in quick succession and then market crashed. This happened with the Browser too. Doesn't happen all the time but it happens too often to ignore it.

Can anyone recommend me a stable firmware with a lag fix with the best results? Anything that doesn't fail on me when I need to do something important...

I'm on JP3 Froyo. I had the Desire before Galaxy and on Froyo, Desire got 37-40 on Linpack. SGS is only getting 12-13 on JP3 (Froyo). I hope someone can enlighten me.

Edited by ragflan

Guest DistortedLoop
I can't help but think something is wrong with my device. I see the Quadrant scores increasing. With mimocan, I got 1700, with this fix I got 2100. And I can notice that everything opens quickly and the phone is smooth. But I still see way too many black screens. For example: I was just trying to uninstall an app and the whole screen went black then the phone vibrated and then vibrate like 3 times more in quick succession and then market crashed. This happened with the Browser too. Doesn't happen all the time but it happens too often to ignore it.

Can anyone recommend me a stable firmware with a lag fix with the best results? Anything that doesn't fail on me when I need to do something important...

I'm on JP3 Froyo. I had the Desire before Galaxy and on Froyo, Desire got 37-40 on Linpack. SGS is only getting 12-13 on JP3 (Froyo). I hope someone can enlighten me.

I think JP3 is your issue more-so than this particular lag fix method. This method doesn't get rid of all lag, though, and I have had an issue with a random reboot while futzing around with bluetooth.

I had a rock solid phone that benchmarked well with little or no lag while using JG1 and the mimocan fix along with AutoKiller set to aggressive. You won't be unhappy with that arrangement, and that would be my fallback setup if I get unhappy with this. Some folks say the newer firmwares like JM5 (or is it JM2) don't have any lag issues out of the box.

Guest PortoGonzales

Spent half a night trying different 2.1 and 2.2 firmwares, rootkits and lagfixes.

I am now using a rooted JP2 and the latest 1-click lagfix.

Whatever I do, the speed gets around 1800, not 2200-2300 what most users get.

Something else I maybe forgot to do??

Guest DistortedLoop

JIT is clearly broken in SGS FroYo version, but it's a leaked alpha firmware, so it shouldn't be a surprise. Once 2.2 and JIT are official for the SGS it should blow the linpack doors away compared to any other phone out there right now, it does have the best cpu at the moment, best gpu as well.

Guest ragflan

Thank you Distorted Loop. I will fall back to JG5 and try this lag fix since the Froyo firmwares are still beta or alpha even. But yeah, no disrespect to the author of the fix. The phone definitely functions much faster but the random blackouts were annoying.

Distorted Loop, a quick doubt. I had the mimocan's fix (in which I created a 1GB ext4 partition on the external card) and this fix creates an internal ext2 1GB partition.

Now if I flash a new firmware and select repartition using ODIN, will the 1GB used by this fix be restored?

Edited by ragflan

Guest dawabz94

Hi all;

this is just a biG ThX for the great work

applied yesterday on my SGS 2.1 JM5, went flawlessly

I did a bunch of backup before but ... everything just wen smoothly; thank you !

Just 2 small side effects I guess, both FaceBook and Twitter(the official one) widgets bicame unresponsive

No way to move between facebook or twitter posts

I had to uninstall/reinstall both

All the rest if fine - Once again, BiG ThX !

Guest DistortedLoop
Thank you Distorted Loop. I will fall back to JG5 and try this lag fix since the Froyo firmwares are still beta or alpha even. But yeah, no disrespect to the author of the fix. The phone definitely functions much faster but the random blackouts were annoying.

Distorted Loop, a quick doubt. I had the mimocan's fix (in which I created a 1GB ext4 partition on the external card) and this fix creates an internal ext2 1GB partition.

Now if I flash a new firmware and select repartition using ODIN, will the 1GB used by this fix be restored?

I'd do a factory wipe from recovery before doing the Odin business just to be sure, but you'd think Odin would clean out the system.

Once you're root on the new phone, easy enough to just adb to the /data folder and make sure it's gone. If it's not, just delete it.

Titanium backup of apps might be a nice thing before doing this as well

Guest ragflan
I'd do a factory wipe from recovery before doing the Odin business just to be sure, but you'd think Odin would clean out the system.

Once you're root on the new phone, easy enough to just adb to the /data folder and make sure it's gone. If it's not, just delete it.

Titanium backup of apps might be a nice thing before doing this as well

Distorted Loop. I didn't do a wipe as Paul suggested in another post that Odin wipes. So I did a Titanium backup, went back to JG5 on which the only problem I faced was bad GPS locks. And then I applied this fix. And man. Now I totally get what the earlier posters are saying. The phone is like butter. I also changed my Launcher from LauncherPro to ADW. ADW was way more smoother for side scrolling and i was able to get back to Home screen quicker than with LauncherPro.

I got a Quadrant score of 2290 but unlike my previous fixes, the phone actually feels like it should now. Everything is fast. Another change I made was to lighten up on the apps installed. I used to have 197 apps installed on Desire. I installed almost all of them on previous flashes (like JG5 with Paul's R3). Surprisingly, with Paul's lagfix I did not have many problems and the phone was good but the second I tried getting Asphalt from Samsung Apps, the phone threw the database storage low error (Paul explained that it would happen). Thats when I moved to mimocan's fix and now this new fix although I stopped re-installing all 197 apps. I only installed around 60 apps or 70 but the phone had too many long black screens lags.

So this time I selectively restored. I have about 50 apps installed now and so far the lag is very infrequent (as expected from any smartphone). But the phone itself is buttery. Very very smooth now. Thank you to the author of the post and the person that discovered this fix, and to Distorted Loop for the suggestions.

Edited by ragflan

Guest ragflan

Distorted Loop, besides installing another app from the market (I can get Battery Indicator that has a percentage but then I'll have 2 battery bars), do you know of any method I can get the SGS battery bar to show a percentage? Like the Circle-battery mod on the Desire.

Guest kevwright
i get this fault no such file or directory when the cp /sdcard/userinit.sh /system/bin/userinit.sh and playlogos files are to be copied? any idea i can see them mounted in windows. in fact it says cant stat

thats as far as i can go, any help plz?

I had to replace

with

cp /sdcard/sd/playlogos1 /system/bin/playlogos1

Same for the playlogos1 path. Seems quite confusing, the file structure with effectively 2 SD card on the SGS

So, try it with the /sd or you can move the files I guess.

Kev

Guest DeepBass909
I had to replace

with

cp /sdcard/sd/playlogos1 /system/bin/playlogos1

Same for the playlogos1 path. Seems quite confusing, the file structure with effectively 2 SD card on the SGS

So, try it with the /sd or you can move the files I guess.

Kev

Kev, it seems that you have placed the files on the external SD-card (the micro-SD card), instead of on the internal memory. This is the reason for the extra /sd

/sdcard > internal 8 of 16GB storage

/sdcard/sd > external of microSD storage

I've noticed that with an extra mircoSD-card installed, the internal memory doesn't allways show-up when you connect the phone to a pc in USB storage mode.

It might help (this is some positive advise :D ) to learn a bit more about how Linux works, before you start playing with the OS of an Android mobile phone. Learn and play with the basic commandline commands in a basic Ubuntu installation, get yourself a bit familiar with Linux in a safe environment, before you start harcore playing with Android by just following some guide.

I also did something wrong with the lagfix, but my basic knowledge (well, a bit more than basic, to be honest) saved me from bricking or needing to do a full reinstall of Android.

The basics of the lagfix aren't that difficult, the only unknown command for me was for example losetup. All the other commands (mount, dd, mv, mkdir, etc) are really just the most basic commands available in linux. The clever part was that someone found out that this actually worked!

Guest phreaker18
Yeah, it should work on Froyo too assuming the stock kernel has support for EXT2 like the Eclair one did.

On Froyo it says mkfs.ext2: applet not found !!

Guest DemonLoki

So I am not sure what happened, I followed this lag fix and now my phone will not boot. I see the Samsung boot up sequence... then the phone powers off

Downloaded the .zip, extracted the 2 files

Placed them on the phone, then followed the commands using adb shell and su from my PC using a Command Prompt

Any ideas?

Samsung GALAXY S Vibrant SGH-T959

Stock Rom

Rooted

Guest DistortedLoop
after installing this update successfully, i run quadrant and get a "ERROR: Internal error during benchmark execution". Any tips?

Reinstall Quadrant, reboot phone, try again.

Guest DistortedLoop
Hi! Saw someone requested a Quadrant run with a 1.25Ghz kernel and here is my score!

post-725049-1282038599_thumb.png

Is your phone stable at that speed? I'd read a few posts suggesting the voltage was too low for 1.25Ghz

Guest Hawkeye321
Is your phone stable at that speed? I'd read a few posts suggesting the voltage was too low for 1.25Ghz

I've had the phone running this kernel for 2 days and haven't had any issues yet. Have stress tested with SetCPU for 3hours and it returned no errors so i hope it's stable.

Edited by Hawkeye321