Making Delicious Gingerbread [Wishlist]

Guest absinthemeninded

Guest absinthemeninded

Froyo in my opinion is excellent, I rarely have any problems at all and I am indebted to Paul for his fantastic ROM making skills which have allowed me to get passed the evils of branded phones!

However, there is always room for improvement on the part of Google and HTC.

Therefore my question is, how would you improve the Froyo/Google experience on the HTC Desire?

I will do what I can to keep this thread updated with your comments, but for my part here are a few of my pet hates/suggestions to get you started:

1) Greater support for music and video formats

2) Native applications for music and video

3) Bookmark syncing with Chrome/Firefox/Internet Explorer

4) Bookmark manager tab in the cloud/in G-mail to allow overall management

5) Enhanced contacts management in the cloud/ in G-mail to allow overall management

6) SMS/MMS sync with the cloud/ in G-mail to allow back up

7) Phone location/wipe management from cloud/G-mail (similar to the capabilities of Microsofts MyPhone)

8) Ability to sync sports calendars from Google Calendar with Android device

9) Consistent use of spell checking throughout the Android platform (including in the market place for example)

9) Improved desktop version of the Marketplace

10) Native Google Reader apps

While there are lots of rumours going around as to what Gingerbread will bring, what are your Gingerbread dreams?

Guest ElDiablo77

Some good point m8. I'd like the little things fixed 1st. It would b cool in the music app if u could simply select which folders 2 look in 4 music. It pisses me off th@ gameloft game sounds from the SD card pop up in my random playlists. Mixzing does it so how hard can it b?

Guest Dr_Ash

Slicker user interface, more intuitive. Especially smoother scrolling in browser and apps. Having come from iPhone and iOS - that is the main advantage of the iPhone (as well as the App Store, although the marketplace is really catching up fast)

Guest zoidy84

i could be wrong but you can already do this, i have Formula 1 and Tottenham Hotspurs calenders sync through Google Calenders onto my Desire using Jorte.

Guest venturerider
Some good point m8. I'd like the little things fixed 1st. It would b cool in the music app if u could simply select which folders 2 look in 4 music. It pisses me off th@ gameloft game sounds from the SD card pop up in my random playlists. Mixzing does it so how hard can it b?

Create a file called .nomedia in the folders you wish ignored.

Guest spammyspam

1) A proper task manager or way of knowing what's sleeping. I know, I know... but if you don't find this useful or believe Android doesn't need one then you don't have to use it.

2) A way of logging data usage on an app by app basis.

1) Better marketplace, more options basically and more descriptions, for example does it have adverts, etc...

2) Not forcing adverts onto users, most people have capped data. Or a button to switch it off

3) Seems like every new release apps stop working and developers need to update them to work on the latest ones as well as making them backwards compatible - Am sure developers must get a little annoyed with that

4) More internal memory for the minimum spec, like 2GB or something for apps/games

5) Start handing out more dev units to game companies to make games for the device and not just ports

Guest squrl
Slicker user interface, more intuitive. Especially smoother scrolling in browser and apps. Having come from iPhone and iOS - that is the main advantage of the iPhone (as well as the App Store, although the marketplace is really catching up fast)

IMHO it would be great for Gingerbread to heavily focus on UI and completelly forbid UI overlays like Sense, it is one of the main causes of Android OS fragmentation. And things such as inability to use Sense widgets with alternative launchers are such a pain in the ass.

4) More internal memory for the minimum spec, like 2GB or something for apps/games

You know that would mean no Gingerbread for the Desire, right? :)

Edited by squrl

as far as i understood the rumors of gingerbread, it is to support at least 4" screens and much higher resolutions like 1024x800. IMHO, Desire screen cannot achieve such resolutions due to structural limitations in the screen. besides google is looking to blow apple from the market, and i believe that gingerbread is the platform of tablets. i do think that HTC and google are planning a tablet with really amazing specs for the end of 2010 or maybe 2011 1st or 2nd Q.

It will be like it was with the nexus one, providing an amazing device to launch their new found market. apple made the ipcrap, hp made the HP slate, but unfortunately this is going to be enterprise product.

google is looking to take over apple and microsoft as a leading company, it already got the best sales in the US regarding smartphones, in europe, HTC made sure that apple doesnt have monopoly on luxury, with the Desire, Wildfire. while Evo 4G is taking care of iphat4 in the US, they need to tackle the new area where apple is claiming too much grounds, the tablet era is thereby opened. more and more tablets are being rumored or previwed but manufacturers are are being indecisive abt the OS, windows 7 or google's android. since android is based as a linux OS, it is more open to developpers and faster as well, so if google is to provide an OS for tablets exclusively, the choice would be easy as it would have the same success as android, resulting in more sales for tablet manufacturers.

I personally own a powerful desktop pc(custom built), an ASUS laptop with i7 processors and GT320M graphics, a samsung omnia, HTC Desire. its more than enough powerful devices to surf the net or intensive use(gaming/photo editing, HD video processing, etc...), and they can all handle heavy tasking, but still I am interested in getting an Android tablet with a powerful processor and memory with large enough screen 8"-13",14". dont know why, just want one :D

I believe google is basing its increase in the market share based on crazy :D customers like me... gadget addicts and i know that i am not alone in this area.

anyways back to the subject,, if u want imrovements to be made, it will not happen as i think gingerbread will be a whole new OS based to another type of device, mainly tablets. so if we want to talk gingerbread, then lets wait for htc and google to launch a (dual core 1.9-2.0Ghz/2-4GB DDR3/64-128GB HDD, nvidia ion GPU among others specs) tablet, tear away our pockets or wallets ( whichever u keep most $$$ in :) ) to get one then we'll be soon back here to discuss improvements, since this is who we are, never satisfied with what we get ,,, always more and more...:P

but hey, whos complaining, this is modaco society !!!

EDIT: apparently my thoughs are in the right direction. hit the link below

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/09/verizon...d-pro-and-more/

Edited by kav

IMHO it would be great for Gingerbread to heavily focus on UI and completelly forbid UI overlays like Sense, it is one of the main causes of Android OS fragmentation. And things such as inability to use Sense widgets with alternative launchers are such a pain in the ass.

If its for post hardware release and relaxed for pre then thats fine :D

Guest Mr.r9

But Android is Open so HTC can do whatever they want, right? And anyway, there are people who actually like Sense.

Wish list:

1)Add themeing support.

2)Smoother scrolling/panning/UI/animations. Thats the only good thing in Apples OS, the smoothness of it.

Guest FatherD
But Android is Open so HTC can do whatever they want, right? And anyway, there are people who actually like Sense.

Wish list:

1)Add themeing support.

2)Smoother scrolling/panning/UI/animations. Thats the only good thing in Apples OS, the smoothness of it.

+1

I think it is best to enjoy the openess of the platform. As a Linux junkie I like the choice, so being able to skin to my taste is a must! and a Linux sync solution :)

But what will make Gingerbread or any further release win our money is in the hardware that must arrive!

More intelligent horsepower is my number one, not just raw speed but more cores, improved on-board caches, class leading fabs etc, lets see something that doesn't just impress as a mobile device, but truly weans us from our desktops/notebooks ... here endeth today's sermon .. ahhh ahhh meeeeeeen! :D

Guest badgerarc

One essential I require, and to be perfectly honest - should have been included since day one, is to be able to use authenticated proxy servers via the wifi for connection to Enterprise networks. I still can't believe you can't do it. :)

Guest rameses

I'd like to see better support for Gmail. I can't believe that Google's own email service has such a duff application. In my opinion it should be a similar experience to using it on the web.

• 2 weeks later...
One essential I require, and to be perfectly honest - should have been included since day one, is to be able to use authenticated proxy servers via the wifi for connection to Enterprise networks. I still can't believe you can't do it. :huh:

+1

but I would be more than happy with a simple http proxy support via the wifi.

Guest Sleepydude
1) Greater support for music and video formats

2) Native applications for music and video

3) Bookmark syncing with Chrome/Firefox/Internet Explorer

4) Bookmark manager tab in the cloud/in G-mail to allow overall management

5) Enhanced contacts management in the cloud/ in G-mail to allow overall management

6) SMS/MMS sync with the cloud/ in G-mail to allow back up

7) Phone location/wipe management from cloud/G-mail (similar to the capabilities of Microsofts MyPhone)

9) Consistent use of spell checking throughout the Android platform (including in the market place for example)

9) Improved desktop version of the Marketplace

10) Native Google Reader apps

While there are lots of rumours going around as to what Gingerbread will bring, what are your Gingerbread dreams?

That's exactly what my top 10 would look like!

Also, as much standardization as possible so every device can get their Android updates around the same time.

Guest tatey2457

You know that would mean no Gingerbread for the Desire, right? :huh:

This would also mean no gingerbread for the Desire as htc wouldn't release a sense-less version