Confused about Android

Guest MasterofMuppets

Guest MasterofMuppets

Its been over 19 months since i got my Omnia i900. I really loved this phone and winmo.

I now and able to get a new phone and i have been looking at the i9000 alot.

But what is andriod?

How is it different to winmo?

What i really loved about winmo is the ease and freedom to install apps. Will (if i get this phone) be able to install apps as easy as i did on my omnia or will i be forced into something like iphone and can only choose apps they provide?

Please can anyone explain andriod to me as im very confused.

Thanks

Guest AndyCr15

Android is just as open as Windows Mobile. I can quite confidently say it's a far better OS than WinMo... You can even install apk (android equivalent of exe files) from where ever you find them...

Guest SpruceyB

You can simply browse the Market to install Apps or

get the APK onto your phone (download straight to phone or copy from computer) and install from a file manager

Also on 2.2 or with the use of AppBrain you can even Push install an app from the web to your phone.

To better understand Android I'd watch some of the videos over here

http://www.youtube.com/user/androiddevelopers#g/p

Id check the 'One thing I like about Android....' Playlist, even though they seem to mostly be using 1.6 on a G1 you can see how awesome using Android is.

Guest Kilack
But do not buy the Samsung. It is so buggy now !

Perhaps good advise, it might an idea to wait and see what problems they solve with the phone, lots are software based so should see fixes eventually hopefully.