[Solved] How to restore to original when RUU doesn't work?

Guest Bokai

Hi!

So.. My HTC Hero GSM has some issues that need to be repaired. Touchscreen not working in the lower part of the screen, constant headset-icon, trackball not working good. So I've contacted my repair center and they told me to send it in. So I want to restore my phone to as close to original as possible to be on the safe side.

The problem is I can't use the official RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe(or any other version), without getting an error 155(apparently it has something to do with the rom not having correct filesize).

It doesn't matter what rom I'm currently using; Modaco, Villain, different kind of generics(from Pauls sticky post), but nothing affects the outcome.

I got a feeling it has to do with the recovery image I use(RA 1.6.2) or Hboot version(.0007), but I can't seem to flash a new one. Recovery flasher gives me "Backup FAILED: could not run command.", and since my HBOOT is .0007 I can't use remote command from fastboot to restore original.

1. Is it possible to downgrade HBoot from recovery mode? If so, does anyone have a update.zip I can use?

2. Could error 155 has something to do with the computer/OS im using?

3. Anyone has any other suggestions what I can try to restore?

Currently using:

HTC Hero GSM

Generic 2.73.405.38 (1.5)

Baseband 63.18.55.06OU_6.35.15.01

HBoot 1.76.0007

Any help is greatly appreciated!

/Jakob

Edited by Bokai

Hi!

So.. My HTC Hero GSM has some issues that need to be repaired. Touchscreen not working in the lower part of the screen, constant headset-icon, trackball not working good. So I've contacted my repair center and they told me to send it in. So I want to restore my phone to as close to original as possible to be on the safe side.

The problem is I can't use the official RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe(or any other version), without getting an error 155(apparently it has something to do with the rom not having correct filesize).

It doesn't matter what rom I'm currently using; Modaco, Villain, different kind of generics(from Pauls sticky post), but nothing affects the outcome.

I got a feeling it has to do with the recovery image I use(RA 1.6.2) or Hboot version(.0007), but I can't seem to flash a new one. Recovery flasher gives me "Backup FAILED: could not run command.", and since my HBOOT is .0007 I can't use remote command from fastboot to restore original.

1. Is it possible to downgrade HBoot from recovery mode? If so, does anyone have a update.zip I can use?

2. Could error 155 has something to do with the computer/OS im using?

3. Anyone has any other suggestions what I can try to restore?

Currently using:

HTC Hero GSM

Generic 2.73.405.38 (1.5)

Baseband 63.18.55.06OU_6.35.15.01

HBoot 1.76.0007

Any help is greatly appreciated!

/Jakob

Solved!

For anyone having issues with Error 155(CID-checks fail, perhaps?) or 171(USB fail) while trying to restore a rooted HTC Hero to stock with an official RUU-exe, this is what worked for me where nothing else did:

- Create Goldcard

- Extract ROM.ZIP from the Official RUU exe you want to use. I downloaded it from their main site

- Rename to HEROIMG.zip

- Boot to flashboot mode (Volume down + Power on)

- Flash.

- Reboot and enjoy your new stock HTC Hero.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TafKas1929
Solved!

For anyone having issues with Error 155(CID-checks fail, perhaps?) or 171(USB fail) while trying to restore a rooted HTC Hero to stock with an official RUU-exe, this is what worked for me where nothing else did:

- Create Goldcard

- Extract ROM.ZIP from the Official RUU exe you want to use. I downloaded it from their main site

- Rename to HEROIMG.zip

- Boot to flashboot mode (Volume down + Power on)

- Flash.

- Reboot and enjoy your new stock HTC Hero.

Hi, I was wondering what software you used to extract the ROM.ZIP file from the exe file, I have tried a few apps with no luck at all.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I was wondering what software you used to extract the ROM.ZIP file from the exe file, I have tried a few apps with no luck at all.

Thanks in advance.

What I did was that I ran the RUU .exe. And while the app is at its first screen, you do a search for rom.zip in your temporary folders in C:\. Copy the rom.zip to somewhere and close the RUU .exe after that.

Hope this helps!

/Jakob

• 8 months later...
Guest angeles
What I did was that I ran the RUU .exe. And while the app is at its first screen, you do a search for rom.zip in your temporary folders in C:\. Copy the rom.zip to somewhere and close the RUU .exe after that.

Hope this helps!

/Jakob

This method still works on a boot loop after I removed some system files. Thanks a lot for this help!

• 6 years later...
Guest junior00
On 22/8/2010 at 2:47 PM, Bokai said:

Lo que hice fue ejecutar el RUU .exe. Y mientras la aplicación está en su primera pantalla, realiza una búsqueda de rom.zip en sus carpetas temporales en C: \. Copie el rom.zip en algún lugar y cierre el RUU .exe después de eso.

¡Espero que esto ayude!

/ Jakob

saludos, a que carpeta debo ir para encontrar el zip exe del ruu?