Disabling media scan?

Guest ranblv

Guest lgkahn
Is there a way to stop the media scan that runs on both SD cards each login?

it takes resources and slows the phone considerably.

get a faster card it should finish in a minute or two if not you have a pretty slow card.

Guest DistortedLoop

I don't know if there's a setting to turn that off, but I doubt it.

I think you can speed it up by putting a file named .nomedia in the folders of non-media containing folders and the scan will skip that folder and its subfolders. I've seen mixed reports of the success with this and it might impact some applications in unexpected ways (such as .nomedia to hide album art from Gallery means no album art in the music player...).

I found on xda-developers the way to disable media scanning:

1. Download application Startup Manager from the Market.

2. In Startup Manager go to System tab.

3. Click on Media Storage to uncheck it and this will disable media scanning.

If you want to enable it again you can do the same steps

Edit: I found xda-developers post that I referred to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=732462 post #5

Edited by wes58

Guest ranblv
I found on xda-developers the way to disable media scanning:

1. Download application Startup Manager from the Market.

2. In Startup Manager go to System tab.

3. Click on Media Storage to uncheck it and this will disable media scanning.

If you want to enable it again you can do the same steps

Edit: I found xda-developers post that I referred to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=732462 post #5

worked like a charm, lots of time gained during the boot process.

• 5 weeks later...
That is why I love the android community, so many ways to solve each problem :-)

Rock on.

I have been following this thread since I have a problem which I think is related to the media scanner. I have a 8 gb SD card in my phone. However, when I add a lot of music 4 - 6 gb it's impossible to take pictures or open the gallery. The camera says "preparing SD card" for 20 minutes or so and the gallery says "Please wait..." for the same amount of time. It seems like Camera/Gallery is scanning all files using the media scanner every time a new item is added since when I take a picture and view it in the gallery and go back to th camera to take another picture I have to wait for another scan. It literally makes the built in camera/gallery useless with a lot of music on the SD card. I've tried using a third party camera, and it works fine, but there's no replacement for the gallery, so I am stuck. Removing most of the music reduces the time between each picture I can take to a couple of seconds, but I hate not being able to have a solid music collection on the phone. I tried to disable the media scanner according to this thread, but the problem here isn't that it's run at start-up, but rather that it's being run by the Gallery/Camera app *every* time a picture is taken and viewed. If anyone here could resolve this issue It would be great. Some options for the media scanner (setting folders to scan for instance) would solve it.

Startup Auditor and Auto Start Killer are also good. ASK is my favourite of the lot. Use it and turn off media storage. You're right, it's a huge pain in the rear.

I did get ASK and turned off media storage. However, it did not help since Camera/Gallery runs a full media scan ever time a picture is taken and saved. That's just insane! I've tried to hide my music from the media scanner by placing a .nomedia file within the music folder. It works and I can take picures again, but now the music player doesn't see my music. The problem here is actually the Camera/Gallery application. What I have done is find replacement apps for taking pics and view them. I'm using Camera Magic and JustPictures! This workaround makes it possible for me to have gigs of music and take pics at the same time. This is a design flaw in the Camera/Gallery app I hope will be fixed. Even better would be if someone could find a way to stop this app from doing those full scans between each picture added to the SD card.