Customise Hardware Buttons

Guest Epic-Emodude

Guest Epic-Emodude

Hi all,

I am trying to customise that hard ware buttons to make the pulse more usable.

This is currently in beta and usefull things will start to happen =)

Once I know that it works I will start making it useful.

To install this you need to extract the zip (Its not flashable, but I will try to make it so in future)

Copy the file onto the SD card then use root explorer (or equivilant) to paste it to /system/usr/keylayout, and replace the current file.

Before doing this back up the file you replace and do a nandroid backup.

Please leave any feedback bellow

Thanx

Aaron

Edited by Epic-Emodude

Guest Epic-Emodude

Changelog:

v0_1.zip

- Changed red end call button to menu. (this has no use other then to see if it works and will be changed to something usefull (home key) in future versions)

v0_2.zip

- Fixed the bug where it didnt work...

v0_3.zip

- Changes green dialer key to search

v0_4.zip

- Changes red end call button from menu to home

- Fixes problem where green key did not open search box

V1.zip

This brings some big changes, mostly media based.

- Single click of camera button ends call

- Swipping down on trackball mutes

- Swipping right on trackball skips to next track

- Swipping left on trackball skips back to previous track

- Clicking trackball pauses/plays media

- Swipping up on trackball goes to dialer

Having said all that it doesnt work.

Ill have a fix up ASAP

V1.1.zip

This is the fix to version 1.0

-Pause/play now works

-Mute and call replaced with volume up and volume down

I dont know if the problem im having is with the code im using or the buttons.

Ill look into it today or tomorow to try and get it working

v1.2.zip

-Fixes bug with volume keys

-Fixes bug with end call keys

Current layout :

Green - Search - Long press - voice search

Red - Home - Long press - recent apps

Trackball:

Click - Pause/play

Up - Volume Up

Right - Next media track

Down - Volume Down

Left - Previous media track

Camera button first click - end call

I am willing to create multiple versions of this to fit different people's needs.

If you have any suggestions let me know

If anyone knows how I can create a flashable zip please let me know

Edited by Epic-Emodude

Guest DanWilson

Menu? Lulz.

I think that if you told us how to do it, or did custom versions for individuals, this would OWN!

I personally want

Green = Search

Red = Home

Well, thats all that can be done, innit? We need a supa dupa mega partay button!

Oh yeah

daniel@daniel-usb:~$ adb push '/home/daniel/Desktop/surf_keypad.kl' /system/usr/keylayout

One minute.

Had to adb remount and is now rebooting. Does this affect any key combos? Like recovery?

Edited by DanWilson

Guest Epic-Emodude
Menu? Lulz.

I think that if you told us how to do it, or did custom versions for individuals, this would OWN!

I personally want

Green = Search

Red = Home

Well, thats all that can be done, innit? We need a supa dupa mega partay button!

Im going to change it to something like that, and also add someting like first click of camera button to recent apps, but atm Im just trying to get it to do what I want (hence the menu thing). As soon as I know what I need to edit and can pack it all into an update zip then I will start doing someting useful.

Unfortunatly, what I have done doesnt really seeem to have done much. I think there is an option to set it as home key which means it does everything the home key does, including screen previews in launcher pro etc, but I just seem to have broken it functionallity in the home screen ( it still took be back home) so I think that there may be more files I need to edit.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx

Aaron

EDIT: IT WORKS!! After editing the qwerty.kl file in the same folder then restarting it does what I want.

Ill get onto something useful not =)

Edited by Epic-Emodude

Guest DanWilson
Im going to change it to something like that, and also add someting like first click of camera button to recent apps, but atm Im just trying to get it to do what I want (hence the menu thing). As soon as I know what I need to edit and can pack it all into an update zip then I will start doing someting useful.

Unfortunatly, what I have done doesnt really seeem to have done much. I think there is an option to set it as home key which means it does everything the home key does, including screen previews in launcher pro etc, but I just seem to have broken it functionallity in the home screen ( it still took be back home) so I think that there may be more files I need to edit.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx

Aaron

Help? From me? LULZ!

I'll see what it does for me, and this time I won't edit!

Guest DanWilson

Works perfectly for me as the menu button. For a while I thought it was broken, but then it dawned on me it wasn't meant to be home, but instead it was menu. I failed.

Yes it works for me. Maybe you should adb push, and reboot.

Guest DanWilson
Changelog:

v0_1.zip

- Changed red end call button to menu. (this has no use other then to see if it works and will be changed to something usefull (home key) in future versions)

v0_2.zip

- Fixed the bug where it didnt work...

v0_3.zip

- Changes green dialer key to search

It worked for me...

Is this Search and home or Search and Menu?

Guest Epic-Emodude
It worked for me...

Is this Search and home or Search and Menu?

Oh well, and its search and menu, will get home working for v0-4

Edit: Good news, green button no longer takes you to dialer, bad news, it doesnt do anything

Edited by Epic-Emodude

Guest DanWilson
Oh well, and its search and menu, will get home working for v0-4

Kewl. And I'm just realising how many posts I made talking to my self.

Does the search button do anything? I press the green button and SeePU says my CPU is maxing out. WTF?

Guest Epic-Emodude
Kewl. And I'm just realising how many posts I made talking to my self.

Does the search button do anything? I press the green button and SeePU says my CPU is maxing out. WTF?

Its not working for me either yet, working on a fix. If its causing problems then resotre nandroid backup =)

Guest niko1986
When the Red button is switched to home, the back key made dedicated and there is a way to flash this without adb..

:D

Just use a file manager with root privileges to replace the file, make sure to rename the old one so you can restore if needed.

Guest DanWilson
When the Red button is switched to home, the back key made dedicated and there is a way to flash this without adb..

?

Is this what you want to happen, or what will happen with a real home button? And you can always copy it through Root Explorer or similar..

@Epic - I have no problems, and no Nandroids. I'm just thinking, well, I'll be careful if it means I won't need to reinstall everything. Meh it's my way. If I don't press Green, everything is fine.

Guest Epic-Emodude
?

Is this what you want to happen, or what will happen with a real home button? And you can always copy it through Root Explorer or similar..

@Epic - I have no problems, and no Nandroids. I'm just thinking, well, I'll be careful if it means I won't need to reinstall everything. Meh it's my way. If I don't press Green, everything is fine.

I think I have fixed the green button thing. tell me if you have any problems with 0.4. I have changed red key to home, but home will still be home.

Once red and green keys are working, I will take a vote on what people whant done with various other keys (including camera and home keys), and perhaps create various versions to meet peoples needs.

Guest DanWilson
I think I have fixed the green button thing. tell me if you have any problems with 0.4. I have changed red key to home, but home will still be home.

Once red and green keys are working, I will take a vote on what people whant done with various other keys (including camera and home keys), and perhaps create various versions to meet peoples needs.

Works!

Guest Epic-Emodude
Works!

Great! I think Im going to bring this out of beta now (Fastest moving development in history), but for version 1.0 I would like to be able to package it as a flashable zip. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Also, what do people the old home key to become?

I will try and create versions a and b for the two most popular ideas =)

Guest DanWilson
Great! I think Im going to bring this out of beta now (Fastest moving development in history), but for version 1.0 I would like to be able to package it as a flashable zip. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Also, what do people the old home key to become?

I will try and create versions a and b for the two most popular ideas =)

There aren't any more buttons. Lol. Make the old home key the Green key? Incase you need the dialler from anywhere?

Guest Epic-Emodude
There aren't any more buttons. Lol. Make the old home key the Green key? Incase you need the dialler from anywhere?

The buttons remaining include the old home key, the camera key x2 (it has 2 clicks, both of which can do something), power key, and maybe long pressing, but im not sure about that.

Guest DanWilson
The buttons remaining include the old home key, the camera key x2 (it has 2 clicks, both of which can do something), power key, and maybe long pressing, but im not sure about that.

I mean buttons to use (like remaining buttons left.)

Guest niko1986

The file is only small perhaps someone with abit of programming knowledge could put together a program to build a key bind file and the user can choose what each button does?

Guest Epic-Emodude
I mean buttons to use (like remaining buttons left.)

I know. Im going to do something decent with the camera buttons first click which doesnt do anything atm (perhaps recent apps if I can find out how to do this) and I will probably the other click for people that dont want the camera button. Ill fidn something interesting to do with the home button, and then for people that dont care about being able to turn the screen of/turn the device of I migh do someting with the power button. Then if theres a crazy person that doesnt use volume I can use that for something =)

Guest Epic-Emodude
The file is only small perhaps someone with abit of programming knowledge could put together a program to build a key bind file and the user can choose what each button does?

Im going to try and make an app for it at some point, that will be a bit like clockwork mod, where I will make i for the pulse, then if say a someone with a hero wants it ill ask for the keys and then create them a version =)

Then I can get 5000 downloads and get my nexus one =)

Guest DanWilson
Im going to try and make an app for it at some point, that will be a bit like clockwork mod, where I will make i for the pulse, then if say a someone with a hero wants it ill ask for the keys and then create them a version =)

Then I can get 5000 downloads and get my nexus one =)

But you'll keep the Pulse, right? (If not I'll destroy your N1, and report your app for something and then get you banned from the UK!!!) BAWAAHAHAHAHA

Guest Epic-Emodude
But you'll keep the Pulse, right? (If not I'll destroy your N1, and report your app for something and then get you banned from the UK!!!) BAWAAHAHAHAHA

Yeh cause its fun to hack and make better, but the n1 will be my everyday phone with Cyanogenmod =)

Guest DanWilson
Yeh cause its fun to hack and make better, but the n1 will be my everyday phone with Cyanogenmod =)

Grr. I shall kill Cyanogizzle and make the N1 a puny phone compared to my mighty, PULSE!!!