Contact Storage: Move to SD?

Guest mehall

Guest mehall

Today my phone was bitching me out about not having enough free space left (it had 7MB internal, apparently not enough to grab my latest SMS message)

Turns out my contact storage was taking up about 25MB, so I cleared it, waited for a sync with google and got my txts.

Is there any way to make the contact storage use the sd card like everything else does?

Guest Speckles

If your rooted, it should be as simple as creating a softlink between /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts to an appropriate directory on your ext2/ext3 partition of your sd card.

Do a nandroid backup first as usual, in case it takes a dislike to your modifications.

Guest mehall

How would I do that? I mean I use "ln -s" with the source and destination directory, but how do I refer to the destination directory? Because it doesn't have a quantifiable address name does it?

Guest Speckles

If your using A2SD, then the ext2/3 partition will be mounted at boot time to an appropriate directory relative to the root, so you can just use that.

Guest bongobill

I am having the same problem, and am rooted, but I still have no idea how to do what you are talking about. Please help, and start from the position of a noob.

Guest Speckles

Once a2sd is up and running, you should be able to use 'df' to determine the mount point of the sd card, you can then soft link the contacts in datadata to a directory such as contacts in the directory stated

• 2 years later...