stall is REAL, what should i do

Guest dr_ysp

Guest DistortedLoop
I've recently bought a 2nd hand iphone 3gs just to try it as looking for an upgrade of my omnia (perfectly working though) and here is my opinion as an iphone-rookie.

The big positive thing about iphone is that the software (at least the one I'm using) is of good quality. It doesn't crash, it doesn't lag. You take the phone out of your pocket and you do what you want, assuming you've invested some time in advance to tweak everything to suite your needs of course. No idea how good android is - someday will check it as well, if I get used to the idea to share my life with google...

I can't complain about most of your conclusions, and it's interesting that your final paragraph admits to not knowing anything about Android (you don't have an android phone?), but any comparison of the current batch of Android phones (Galaxy S, Droid X, Droid 2, EVO, etc) to the iPhone 3G isn't appropriate. The iPhone 3G is over a year old in hardware design and features. Granted it's all you have, but it would be like me comparing an Android offering from a year ago to the iPhone 4...like say maybe a G1 to the iPhone 4? Apple's and oranges and meaningless, even if you update the software on the G1 to the latest hot cyanogen ROM.

Guest ragflan

To Kev: I meant it in this way: if he's really an Android FAN, he's consider another Android device. It's not the same with the iPhone. If you don't like the iPhone 4, why the hell would you choose iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G? He has other choices to make. Galaxy S is hardly the only high end Android phone out there unlike the iPhone 4 which is only choice for the latest gen of iPhones.

Guest dr_ysp
To Kev: I meant it in this way: if he's really an Android FAN, he's consider another Android device. It's not the same with the iPhone. If you don't like the iPhone 4, why the hell would you choose iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G? He has other choices to make. Galaxy S is hardly the only high end Android phone out there unlike the iPhone 4 which is only choice for the latest gen of iPhones.

i know & acknowledge ur feelings for this, but i am at present in uk, what choices do i have apart from sgs, desire-- i what's the advantage i am already having legend, i am seriously considering nexus one, but i will have to buy it on ebay, i am on o2 at the moment. so i am saying that when it comes to choice in the range of sgs there is none.

but i must say HTC as a company is much solid company behind there handsets, u may feel "BETA" sense in sgs experience, but when i pick up my legend, what a solid device is it, wow, they have done quite nice job on it, u know what, its pretty quick as compared to sgs, what i am saying that, samsung has totally messed up this beautiful hardware, just have a look at paul commenting on the build quality, have u seen any forums or posts saying same things about htc handsets.

& to other people who have commented quite thaughfully, i am not total noob in android world, i have rooted sgs, tried lag fix, but still its not as solid product as it shd be.

i started thinking about iphone because of samsung, & i am angry at them, what a mess of things they have them, mostly as they have reduced my trust on android, i can say if htc comes out with same hardware, i will be more than happy to jump in.

Guest kevwright

I understand, but he is in the UK, and we do not really have that many high end Android to choose from you know. Apart from SGS, most other ones are pretty low end, even Desire is showing it's age, and don't get me started on terrible speaker and unusable outdoors in any bright light.

Very different in the US I admit. I do see exactly where he is coming from, but as I say before, it really should not matter about being an iThis or Androidthat fan.

Bottom line is that with a little work, say, JG5 with the portman lag fix, the SGS is a stunning high end device, beating iPhone 4 in several areas, and almost equaling it in others.

Kev

Guest kevwright
i know & acknowledge ur feelings for this, but i am at present in uk, what choices do i have apart from sgs, desire-- i what's the advantage i am already having legend, i am seriously considering nexus one, but i will have to buy it on ebay, i am on o2 at the moment. so i am saying that when it comes to choice in the range of sgs there is none.

i started thinking about iphone because of samsung, & i am angry at them, what a mess of things they have them, mostly as they have reduced my trust on android, i can say if htc comes out with same hardware, i will be more than happy to jump in.

Well to be fair, Paul seems to be the only one with some build issues at the moment, and I don't think he has even tried to get it exchanged?

As for the Legend, never owned one, but a trusted friend did and assures me he has never had such poor signal in a phone?

As for SGS, I lost track now, do you have one?

If yes, have you flashed JG5?

If yes have you applied the portman (or any) lag fix?

If no to those, consider trying it.

Kev

Guest DistortedLoop
Don't know if you're also saying this about Super AMOLED but when turning the brightness up I can use the device just fine in direct bright sunlight. Can't say the same about my HD2...

No, AMOLEDs are a joke in sunlight, but Super AMOLED on the SGS is just fine in the sunlight. It's on a par with the iPhone 4, if not better, and the TFT on the EVO isn't far behind the iPhone if at all.

I think I already said in the thread that the only phone I've been unable to use in direct sunlight for many years is the Nexus One. That's not to say that watching a video on an iPhone in direct sunlight would be a good experience, but at least you can see the screen to answer the phone or select a different song in the music player, both of which are impossible on an AMOLED (non-super) device in the California spring/summer daylight!

Guest dr_ysp
Well to be fair, Paul seems to be the only one with some build issues at the moment, and I don't think he has even tried to get it exchanged?

As for the Legend, never owned one, but a trusted friend did and assures me he has never had such poor signal in a phone?

As for SGS, I lost track now, do you have one?

If yes, have you flashed JG5?

If yes have you applied the portman (or any) lag fix?

If no to those, consider trying it.

Kev

i am having sgs, tried jg5, jm1, jm2, with 1gb ext2 partition lagfix, BUT, its something or other thing doesnt work, gps-its horrible- it keeps on jumping one place to another, screen gets off in the middle & then gps lock is gone , u power on screen, gps again tries to lock, its not accurate on this, & one day it froze over in dialer, i had to pull out the battery, the other day wifi wasnt responding so again i resorted to restart, i am having legend for over 6 months now, none of these problems, i dont even remember when i restarted it,

my point is yes its fast, but the product is unfinished.

Guest ragflan
i am having sgs, tried jg5, jm1, jm2, with 1gb ext2 partition lagfix, BUT, its something or other thing doesnt work, gps-its horrible- it keeps on jumping one place to another, screen gets off in the middle & then gps lock is gone , u power on screen, gps again tries to lock, its not accurate on this, & one day it froze over in dialer, i had to pull out the battery, the other day wifi wasnt responding so again i resorted to restart, i am having legend for over 6 months now, none of these problems, i dont even remember when i restarted it,

my point is yes its fast, but the product is unfinished.

Well I'll admit that much. Yes, the Galaxy S feels very much like a Beta product to me. And there are problems with it that I never faced with my Desire. But on the plus side, the screen is really incredible. You can't go back to the Desire after using the Super AMOLED on the Galaxy. And the GPU performance is outstanding on the Galaxy. What sucks is the lag. I'm sure Samsung will address these faults soon. I've had the issues you speak of. I had the dialer die on me once when I had to make a call. I'm pretty unhappy with the Galaxy S as it stands now but I can suggest one of two things. Both involve waiting.

1. Wait for Samsung to address these issues and for the community to bring them to you.

2. Wait for Desire HD. Hopefully HTC has something else to add to the EVO 4G version for GSM markets.

Both those will be arriving in early September. Hold out on getting the iPhone till then. iPhone is a device that doesn't have the faults the Galaxy S does but it has severe limitations that won't ever be fixed unlike Galaxy's temporary problems.

Guest ragflan

I've read Samsung's Twitter feed and it was reported on many sites that Froyo for Galaxy S in Korea is due out in August. The rest of the world shouldn't be too far away.

Guest ragflan

I've still very optimistic about the Galaxy's problems being solved since I've read that these are not hardware related. Hopefully Samsung comes good or I'll be jumping ship to Desire HD. I agree completely with you on one thing though. HTC's products feel more complete. Since the G1, every HTC product I used feels like it is a complete product. The Galaxy S is definitely an unfinished product and come September, I hope Samsung addresses these issues.

Also, I cannot wait for someone to throw stock Android onto the Galaxy. I can't f-ing stand TouchWiz. I replaced the launcher with LauncherPro but the dialer, contacts and everything just feels badly done.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, people, i ditched samsung galaxy s & turned over to iphone 4, i was pretty good with android, so i am still studying iphone 4, & list of the things i can do was smaller than list of things that i cant do. but i am learning it now 3 days in it. & whoever says iphone 4 is easy, i doubt that, but its the piece of nice work.