Why does Android require much better system specs then Windows 95/98?

Guest Holograph

Guest Holograph

As the topic title already states: Why does Android require much better system specs then for example Windows 95/98?

Personal computer with a 386DX or higher processor (486 recommended)

4 megabytes (MB) of memory (8 MB recommended)

Typical hard disk space required to upgrade to Windows 95: 35-40 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.

Typical hard disk space required to install Windows 95 on a clean system: 50-55 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.

One 3.5-inch high-density floppy disk drive

VGA or higher resolution (256-color SVGA recommended)

I doubt you can run Android on 8MB Memory, and I also doubt you can run on an 100 MHz processor (the Intel 80486). Can anyone explain me why Android requires much better specs then '95/'98? Because of the GUI?

Guest bandita81
As the topic title already states: Why does Android require much better system specs then for example Windows 95/98?

I doubt you can run Android on 8MB Memory, and I also doubt you can run on an 100 MHz processor (the Intel 80486). Can anyone explain me why Android requires much better specs then '95/'98? Because of the GUI?

Well first time I installed Win 95 on a 386 DX 40 Mhz with 8Mbyte of RAM (cant dig down to video card it was 1,5 decade ago lol) and on a 80Mbytes HDD. To honest it was s***. Really. U could install it, but u better be didnt... For the smooth running Win 95 u have to had a P1 90Mhz 16 Mbyte of RAM at least. And i highly doubt Microsoft was serious about Win 95 as far as i remember,it was a "skinned DOS" OS.

In the end, i dont think u can compare a desktop environment and hardware to a mobile phone one. Technically i have a Celeron M 723 in my laptop (MSI X600) running on 1,2 Ghz, but i dont think the "boosted" Snapdragon will do the same math on 1,2 Ghz in Samsung Tablet. And the engineering part is another thing. I guess (not % sure tho) nearly ALL CPU designed to phones technically is a SoC what makes the difference.And phones have to rely on a 1,500 mA battery (or less) and have to hold on for a day or more (approx). I think mainly these reasons cause to be "weaker" in some points, but tho i never tried to make a phone call with my 386 DX PC lol