J-MOD (based on Android 2.1)

Guest JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter

We are cooking on gas as they say. Just got one more small issue to solve, another day of testing to do then I can release a new version confidently.

Using the kitchen, it has installed a new version of SuperUser, now when I try and run the Fix Permissions option in ROM Manager it comes up with: "An error occurred while attemtping to run priviliged commands!"

Going to try and downgrade SuperUser and try it again, anyone else got any ideas?

Guest JohnPorter

Ok, been using my ROM I created and have discovered an issue using the SD card. A2SD works, Swap works, however ES File Explorer won't browse the SD Card?

Also still can't run Fix Permissions in ROM Manager, if my thinking is right the issue could be related?

Ok, been using my ROM I created and have discovered an issue using the SD card. A2SD works, Swap works, however ES File Explorer won't browse the SD Card?

Also still can't run Fix Permissions in ROM Manager, if my thinking is right the issue could be related?

Yep, I can't get "Fix permissions" to work for my rom mod either. I don't know enough to even start to figure out why. Maybe some kind of downgrade somewhere would do it. I haven't read through the FLB thread lately. If that doesn't have the same problem, then it's something we've done differently. (Assuming he's using the latest version of the kitchen.)

Anyway, looks like you've got the basics down, and have a rom working. Anything else you want to discuss, other questions?

Guest JohnPorter
Yep, I can't get "Fix permissions" to work for my rom mod either. I don't know enough to even start to figure out why. Maybe some kind of downgrade somewhere would do it. I haven't read through the FLB thread lately. If that doesn't have the same problem, then it's something we've done differently. (Assuming he's using the latest version of the kitchen.)

Anyway, looks like you've got the basics down, and have a rom working. Anything else you want to discuss, other questions?

I did downgrade SuperUser and still the same issue, also installed the latest verion of ROM Manager with still no fix :lol:

One question, can you browse your SD Card from a File Manager?

My problem was persmissions under Linux that prevented my ROM working initially, once I solved that everything just fell into place. Impressed with the Kitchen though. If we can get this issue resolved then it would be fantastic!

Edited by JohnPorter

I did downgrade SuperUser and still the same issue, also installed the latest verion of ROM Manager with still no fix :lol:

One question, can you browse your SD Card from a File Manager?

My problem was persmissions under Linux that prevented my ROM working initially, once I solved that everything just fell into place. Impressed with the Kitchen though. If we can get this issue resolved then it would be fantastic!

No problem here with browsing the SD card, either with FileManager or AndExplorer.

What base rom are you working with? Did you start with the original UK updata or something else?

Guest JohnPorter
No problem here with browsing the SD card, either with FileManager or AndExplorer.

What base rom are you working with? Did you start with the original UK updata or something else?

Yep, started with the UK update, add flib's swap enabled boot.img. might try and leave the stock file manager installed of using ES File Explorer and see what happens.

Guest twrock
Yep, started with the UK update, add flib's swap enabled boot.img. might try and leave the stock file manager installed of using ES File Explorer and see what happens.

Did you pull out the system.img with the mcspoon/zebadger script? (Again, just curiosity; I like to know how others are doing things.)

I leave the stock Filemanager purposefully. It's small enough just to leave in there, even if I prefer a different one. (And I prefer AndExplorer as a "mid-sized" alternative, but I just put that into /data so people can get rid of it.)

Guest JohnPorter
Did you pull out the system.img with the mcspoon/zebadger script? (Again, just curiosity; I like to know how others are doing things.)

I leave the stock Filemanager purposefully. It's small enough just to leave in there, even if I prefer a different one. (And I prefer AndExplorer as a "mid-sized" alternative, but I just put that into /data so people can get rid of it.)

I used the zebadger script.

Started from scratch again last night and again the ROM won't install. Not sure what is happening at all.

Guest twrock

The "fix permissions" error also occurs in FLB 1.7. Maybe it's the kitchen, maybe a problem with RomManager. I don't know. I'll try to track down more information.

Edited by twrock

Guest twrock
Oh and since the stock ROM doesn't have this by default, move "wpa_supplicant.conf" to /system/etc/wifi/ or you won't be able to enable wifi. You can find wpa_supplicant inside the /system/cust/hw folder.

Hmm, I wonder if the "wifi" file I find in /sytem/etc is supposed to be a pointer to where the wpa_supplicant.conf resides. Since the wifi file contents are only "/data/cust/wifi", if I changed that to /system/cust/hw/default, would it point to the right place?

I'm curious, but maybe not curious enough to build another rom to find out. Maybe I'll experiment the nest time I'm working on an upgrade.

Guest JohnPorter
Hmm, I wonder if the "wifi" file I find in /sytem/etc is supposed to be a pointer to where the wpa_supplicant.conf resides. Since the wifi file contents are only "/data/cust/wifi", if I changed that to /system/cust/hw/default, would it point to the right place?

I'm curious, but maybe not curious enough to build another rom to find out. Maybe I'll experiment the nest time I'm working on an upgrade.

I am aware the the issue exists in FLB 1.7. But don't think it's anything to do with the WIFI.

loving this rom, makes my phone faster than ever :lol:

thank you so much for your work

That's okay. I'm going to release v1.4 later today which should improve performance a little bit more.

Guest twrock
Also still can't run Fix Permissions in ROM Manager, ....

I also installed FLB 1.7 to have a look, and found it also has this same problem. So, it's not just us. I posted the issue over at CWM website.

Guest TaiwanCHT8k

I chose AndExplorer due to its easy access to internal storage.

(I had internal SD option turned on in build.prop)

The stock file manager is worthless not utilizing the internal memory

Guest JohnPorter

v1.4 Released. See first post.

I've given up on the kitchen full stop as I can't get any roms created by it to work no matter what. So we are still using Darktremor A2SD 2.7.5 RC1.

I've used this version on my phone for around 10 days without any problems and speed is impressive too.

Guest twrock
I've given up on the kitchen full stop as I can't get any roms created by it to work no matter what. So we are still using Darktremor A2SD 2.7.5 RC1.

Yeah, I know how frustrating it can be. I was successful with some and bombed on others. Particularly, I've been trying to modify the CHT8000 rom using the kitchen, but the roms that work don't have all the features I want. For some reason, I was able to get the Tre rom working with relative ease.

Here's my sequence for the Tre mod just in case you see something you did differently.

• Used the zebadger scripts for unpacking the Tre updata.app file.
  • Used the instructions and scripts from "How to add Apps2sd support to your rom" (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7021331) to extract the kernel and ramdisk out the the boot.img I got above. (Note: I don't know if you can get away with just using the boot.img from FLB1.7 or not.)
  • Used that same script to extract the kernel out of the fibblesan boot.img with swap.
  • Replaced the original Tre kernel with the flibblesan kernel.
  • Repacked the boot.img (finishing the instructions for a2sd without changing anything in the /ramdisk folder) (Note: at this point I had a bunch of trouble because the instructions for using makeboot didn't work as written; I had to copy the boot.img-kernel and newramdisk.gz into the scripts folder and use ./ instead of ../ in the command line; I don't know why; maybe I'm just stupid.)
  • Copied my new "hybrid" boot.img and the original system.img from the original rom over to the /kitchen/original_update folder.
  • Started the kitchen and chose these options:

• 1 - Set up...

• 2 - Add root...

• 3 - Add Busybox

• 13 - Add /data/app....

• 16 - Add Apps2SD

• 17 - Add ... busybox run-parts...

• 18 - Add custom boot animation...

• 99 - Build ROM

[*]Unzipped the resulting signed rom into a new folder

[*]Deleted the /system/etc/wifi file and created a /system/etc/wifi folder in its place

[*]Copied the /system/cust/hw/default/wpa_supplicant.conf file into the /system/etc/wifi folder

[*]Added the apps I wanted to the /data/app folder (using apps that I had perviously copied out of my /ext2 partition, which is easy to do under Linux).

[*]Deleted a few apps in /system/app in order to make room for the apps I needed to add to /system/app (like HanvonCalla IME)

[*]Added other apps and files to assorted folders (mostly /system/app, but a few to /system/lib, /system/framework and /system/media as well)

[*]Edited build.prop and local.prop to change the stuff I wanted.

[*]Zipped everything up into a new zip file, making sure I deleted any extraneous file (like automatically created backups of build.prop and other files I edited; turn on "Show hidden files" in your filemanager to see them)

[*]Without bothering to sign it, copied the new zip over to my SD card.

[*]Reboot into recovery, wipe, install the new rom, hope like crazy it's going to work this time.

After I knew it was a good rom, I signed it then before posting it.

Guest JohnPorter
please, remove facebook aplication!!!, not all the world uses it :)

sorry my english, i am from chile and i speak spanish xD

Facebook is on the /data parition so it's easily removed. Setting -> Application -> Manage Applications, tap Facebook and then tap 'Uninstall'

Guest afpaecu
Added a Poll to try and determine who uses J-MOD

I'm from Ecuador, and I'm using your ROM. For me this is the best ROM. I've never saw a FC compared with the several I always got using FLB's ROMs. Right now I'm using J-Mod 1.3. Great work John, and I hope soon we can have apps2sd 2.7.5 finally added.

Regards,