J-MOD (based on Android 2.1)

Guest JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter
How much mem free give this rom after install?

After a fresh install and without moving Dalvik Cache to the SD Card I tend to get 54-55MB, if I move the Dalvik Cache to the SD Card then I get 80MB+, but I don't install / use many apps.

Guest primo007

I'm using J-MOD since 1.1 beacuse it's the fastest 2.1 rom I've ever seen on Pulse. Great work!

I skipped 1.2 but now I updated to 1.3 and I'm glad to see it's still excellent.

Changes I've made:

- created swap partition, got rid of swapper 2 and set swappiness to 15 in a2sd scripts

- changed crappy stock music player to music mod

That's all, everithing great so far.

Thank you John!

After a fresh install and without moving Dalvik Cache to the SD Card I tend to get 54-55MB, if I move the Dalvik Cache to the SD Card then I get 80MB+, but I don't install / use many apps.

Very interested, thx for reply :lol:

I'm using J-MOD since 1.1 beacuse it's the fastest 2.1 rom I've ever seen on Pulse. Great work!

I skipped 1.2 but now I updated to 1.3 and I'm glad to see it's still excellent.

Changes I've made:

- created swap partition, got rid of swapper 2 and set swappiness to 15 in a2sd scripts

- changed crappy stock music player to music mod

That's all, everithing great so far.

Thank you John!

i don't know if u got the FLB 1.6 installed, would you say this rom is faster than FLBs one?

Guest primo007
Very interested, thx for reply :lol:

i don't know if u got the FLB 1.6 installed, would you say this rom is faster than FLBs one?

My problem with FLB 1 roms is that at some point it starts kickin the launcher out of memory even if I replace ADW with the stock launcher. And sometimes I get errors with the browser too.

My problem with FLB 1 roms is that at some point it starts kickin the launcher out of memory even if I replace ADW with the stock launcher. And sometimes I get errors with the browser too.

that is true, right now with the 1.6b some time the ADW is kicked from the memory out. i'll test the J-MOD rom in the near future, when I do again some mist and need to reflash :lol:

Guest voolandis

Launcher is the thing I mentioned a few posts upper. I said it is ugly coz its transparent with small logo and one sided j-mod branding. It would be the best possible rom if you port the froyo launcher (not the downloadable app replacement) and return standard 2.1 icons.

Would ya?

Guest JohnPorter
Launcher is the thing I mentioned a few posts upper. I said it is ugly coz its transparent with small logo and one sided j-mod branding. It would be the best possible rom if you port the froyo launcher (not the downloadable app replacement) and return standard 2.1 icons.

Would ya?

I'll look into this. I changed the wallpaper from a J-MOD one so it looked less branded and decided to add a small j-mod on the launcher bar at the bottom so i could keep a small amount of branding visible other than have to go into the About Phone option under Settings.

I'll have a look round for the 2.1 icons and look at the froyo launcher...

Edit: Can't run the Froyo Launcher on 2.1 as it requires API Level 8 whilst 2.1 is Level 7 Click here for more info

ADW offers similar looks to the Froyo Launcher, so I guess you can install that.

Edited by JohnPorter

Guest JohnPorter

I'm readying 1.4 for release, just got to try and set the swappiness value for the swap using Apps2SD, has anyone got any pointers?

Tried to follow intrustions on here but keep getting confused :lol:

If it helps I'm using Darktremor 2.7.5 RC still

Guest primo007
I'm readying 1.4 for release, just got to try and set the swappiness value for the swap using Apps2SD, has anyone got any pointers?

I can send you my modified a2sd scripts which I made for your 1.3 rom.

Try adding Darktremor 2.7.5.1 to the ROM. It has support for setting the swappiness.

Guest JohnPorter
Try adding Darktremor 2.7.5.1 to the ROM. It has support for setting the swappiness.

This is something I've never done before so it's all a little scary for me :lol: but am going to have a go lol.....wish me luck

Edit: Going to get the scripts from primo007, haven't got a linux box to do as Flib suggested, will try and get one available

Edited by JohnPorter

This is something I've never done before so it's all a little scary for me :lol: but am going to have a go lol.....wish me luck

Edit: Going to get the scripts from primo007, haven't got a linux box to do as Flib suggested, will try and get one available

Hm I've tried adding Darktremor A2SD 2.7.5.1 to flb and it won't mount the ext2 partition. Very odd.

Guest primo007

Here you go, swappiness is set to 15 in them.

swap.zip

Hm I've tried adding Darktremor A2SD 2.7.5.1 to flb and it won't mount the ext2 partition. Very odd.

I can't say I actually know what I'm doing, but I have 2.7.5.1 working with a Tre modified boot.img. You can find it over in the Tre thread for download.

I did it "by the book" according to the DT thread over at XDA for modifying init.rc according to the "direct a2sd" method. Then I installed 2.7.5.1 and it "just works".

I can't say I actually know what I'm doing, but I have 2.7.5.1 working with a Tre modified boot.img. You can find it over in the Tre thread for download.

I did it "by the book" according to the DT thread over at XDA for modifying init.rc according to the "direct a2sd" method. Then I installed 2.7.5.1 and it "just works".

Yeah. It was something I've done that prevented it working. I've completely redone the boot image and DT 2.7.5.1 works fine now.

I don't have a Linux Box, would a virtual machine do for what is required?

I use DSIXDA Rom Kitchen which runs using Cygwin on Windows. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=633246

It seriously makes my life easier. I tend to only have issues when I've been changing stuff by hand.. like recently when I've prevented new versions of A2SD working :lol:

I use DSIXDA Rom Kitchen which runs using Cygwin on Windows. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=633246

It seriously makes my life easier. I tend to only have issues when I've been changing stuff by hand.. like recently when I've prevented new versions of A2SD working :lol:

can u unpack and repack boot.img with that? my wont even unpack it..

can u unpack and repack boot.img with that? my wont even unpack it..

Can't do pulse mini boot images or ZTE Blade images. Oddly both phones have the same issue with the boot image. If somebody knows 100% what the problem is and how to fix it then I can get DSIXDA to add it to the kitchen.

Yeah. It was something I've done that prevented it working. I've completely redone the boot image and DT 2.7.5.1 works fine now.

How much work is it to cook SU and DT a2sd into the finished rom? At a cursory glance, it looks like at least apps2sd puts stuff in both system and data. Have you got a link to info on what all needs to be done? Maybe I'm missing something in the DT thread over at XDA, but the info there so far got me a working boot.img. Now I want to add those two so I can build a full rom mod. Thanks.

How much work is it to cook SU and DT a2sd into the finished rom? At a cursory glance, it looks like at least apps2sd puts stuff in both system and data. Have you got a link to info on what all needs to be done? Maybe I'm missing something in the DT thread over at XDA, but the info there so far got me a working boot.img. Now I want to add those two so I can build a full rom mod. Thanks.

Yeah all the info is in the DT thread. I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong but installing DT through the kitchen worked, where manually it didn't.

Yeah all the info is in the DT thread. I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong but installing DT through the kitchen worked, where manually it didn't.

Sorry, I didn't get that right at all. :lol: Let me try again. As far as you (or anyone else knows), if I do nothing more than copy the files right out of the dtapps2sd-2.7.5.1-adv-signed.zip file directly to the same folders in the rom I'm trying to get working, should that work?

(I suppose trial and error won't hurt too much, but I was trying to avoid any known disasters.)

Edit: Having looked at the update scripts, I think the obvious answer is no, just copying files will not suffice in this case.

Edited by twrock