VPN on a Desire

Guest w0.op

Hi

i have a pretty general question about VPNs. I know what they are and what they do, but why would i want to use them on my phone? are there any advantages im not aware off? there seems to be a lot of fuss about them...

thx in advance

Guest daveba
Hi

i have a pretty general question about VPNs. I know what they are and what they do, but why would i want to use them on my phone? are there any advantages im not aware off? there seems to be a lot of fuss about them...

thx in advance

You clearly live in a country with freedom of speech. Not all countries have that. If you need to browse, update your facebook, etc and your ISP blocks it then the only way is via a VPN. Also connecting to your corporate network to get your email, internal documents etc..

Guest spammyspam

It's essentially a way of being on your local network (as you would when using your home's wifi) but over a public network (like a friend's wifi or your phone's data connection).

This way you don't have to set up your specific network resources to be accessible to the wider public. Take windows file sharing for example - you wouldn't in your right mind want to make that publicly accessible even if you did password protect it etc. The same might go for VNC etc. If you're on your local network via VPN, then you don't have to worry about it - the only way in is via the VPN itself which should be super secure.

It's essentially a way of being on your local network (as you would when using your home's wifi) but over a public network (like a friend's wifi or your phone's data connection).

This way you don't have to set up your specific network resources to be accessible to the wider public. Take windows file sharing for example - you wouldn't in your right mind want to make that publicly accessible even if you did password protect it etc. The same might go for VNC etc. If you're on your local network via VPN, then you don't have to worry about it - the only way in is via the VPN itself which should be super secure.

Is possible to use without openvpn?

I have windows7 running PPTP

I can connect and use my home ipadress but cannot browse the files in the network.

Do anyone knows if this is possible without openvpn?

Regards

Helio

Guest spammyspam

They all do the same thing, so yes it should be possible. PPTP support is built in I believe so it should be even easier.

To see files over windows sharing you'll need a samba or CIFS client I think.