Huawei's new phone with Android 2.2

Guest Simon O

Guest Simon O

Huawei Ideos is a new cheap smartphone from Huawei, that will hit the market soon, since it just passed the FCC today. In the picture gallery below you can see some of the FCC real pictures of the device but more you can find in the source link.

The main feature of this small phone is the fact it runs Android 2.2. Other than that is a decent budget phone, with a 2.8 inch 320x240 capacitive touchscreen, 512 ROM, 256 RAM and all the other goodies we got used to in an Android phone like accelerometer, GPS, WiFi and 3.2MP camera.

It will be avvailable in pink, yellow and blue, as you can see below in the pictures and will be priced £200 in the UK without contract and with all taxes included and with similar prices around the world. Huawei Ideos release date is still a mystery, but we guess it will be soon.

Huawei Ideos specs:

GSM / GPRS / EDGE / UMTS / HSDPA

2.8" capacitive touchscreen - QVGA (320x240 px)

512 ROM / 256 RAM

528 MHz processor

3.2 MP AF camera

GPS

Accelerometer

MicroSD card up to 16GB

WiFi / Bluetooth / Micro USB

1200mAh battery

Dimensions: 104 × 54.8 × 13.5mm

post-697226-1281973596_thumb.jpg

More pics at http://www.androphones.com/huawei-ideos-an...-phone-326.html

Guest Simon O

Oh and I'll be the first to laugh at the specs :D

But seriously apart from the RAM/ROM sizes and the lower screen res it's quite similar to the Pulse and Pulse Mini. So could this be our chance of getting Froyo on our phones?

It's a big yes.

I've already managed to boot systems from other Huawei phones on my Pulse and it's well known that Huawei use universal kernels (that is, they are built for all Huawei devices). I'm pretty confident that once this phone is released we will have Froyo in hardly any time.

Oh and I may or may not have been told by staff at T-Mobile that this will be the replacement for the Pulse. The reason the Pulse has been dropped down to £99.99 is to finally clear all remaining stock in time for the release of this new Huawei phone.

My thoughts: It looks nicer than the Pulse Mini. It looks a bit like the big Pulse, and I'm so happy it's got a decent amount of memory.

Guest Simon O
I was interested til I saw the screen is much smaller than the pulse. Although it does look nice in blue.

Yeah, the screen is a bit of a deal breaker.

Guest tabor56

there are much better phones for £200 and after my experience with Huawei phones i would never buy a top end version of their phones due to poor support. If this phone was same price as the Pulse mini i would though.

Guest sfaulds97

I wonder where I've heard specs like that! Well hopefully we can steal Fro-Yo from it but with this being quite a low spec phone does that it mean it will only be able to run 2.2 because Google have certain Specs to run Gingerbread maybe why Huwaiei released it because they don't have to update or provide support. :D

Guest DanWilson
there are much better phones for £200 and after my experience with Huawei phones i would never buy a top end version of their phones due to poor support. If this phone was same price as the Pulse mini i would though.

Yah bro, Motorola C140 FTW! It's about £5 or something!

Guest Simon O
Doubtful, we never managed to get the mini's rom to run.

Thats more to do with the kernel than the actual files. I've had the system for the Vodafone 845 running on my Pulse with the HU 2.1 kernel. And the RMB2 system running on my phone.

At the very least havinga 2.2 system for a Huawei device will help the guys get the 2.2 port running on our pulses.

Guest david_dawkins
Thats more to do with the kernel than the actual files. I've had the system for the Vodafone 845 running on my Pulse with the HU 2.1 kernel. And the RMB2 system running on my phone.

At the very least havinga 2.2 system for a Huawei device will help the guys get the 2.2 port running on our pulses.

Hopefully one of the members here will end up with one of these devices, or perhaps we top up the donations fund and get one for you to dissect. Forceps! Scalpel!

Guest McSpoon

If any further proof of it's existence were needed, Huawei have now published a UserAgent Profile for an Android 2.2 device.

http://wap1.huawei.com/uaprof/HuaweiU8150v100GPRS.xml

From that document it reads almost identical to the Pulse Mini just with FroYo added. Only trouble is, it could be tricky making that work on our bigger Pulse screens.

Manufacturers publish those UA-profile documents whenever they're preparing to launch a new device but it could take months before they actually release it. Huawei publish all of there UserAgent profiles at http://wap1.huawei.com/uaprof/ It's sometimes interesting to check that folder to see if anything new is coming.

Guest Simon O
We need 2.2 badly for the today released Flash Player...

It will make no difference. Flash needs an ARM 7 class processor with a decent clock speed. No way on this new Huawei will handle it and definitely not our Pulses.

It will make no difference. Flash needs an ARM 7 class processor with a decent clock speed. No way on this new Huawei will handle it and definitely not our Pulses.

The one that's like a hack for 2.1, cause that's what we really really, to use it in some sites that use flash menu navigation.

since this works on our 2.1 android, it should work on the faster 2.2, right?

Guest Simon O
The one that's like a hack for 2.1, cause that's what we really really, to use it in some sites that use flash menu navigation.

since this works on our 2.1 android, it should work on the faster 2.2, right?

The one that 'works' on our phones is Flash Lite.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Simon O

http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/09/the-huawe...actually-be-ok/

- GSM / GPRS / EDGE / UMTS / HSDPA

- 2.8″ capacitive touchscreen – QVGA (320×240 px)

- 512 ROM / 256 RAM

- 528 MHz processor

- 3.2 MP AF camera

- GPS

- Accelerometer

- MicroSD card up to 16GB

- WiFi / Bluetooth / Micro USB

- 1200mAh battery

- Dimensions: 104 × 54.8 × 13.5mm

I think we have a replacement for the Pulse finally :huh:

Edited by flibblesan

http://www.eurodroid.com/2010/09/the-huawe...actually-be-ok/

I think we have a replacement for the Pulse finally :huh:

Not for me - small screen, just a bit more RAM, same processor, same rest hardware... nope, I'll stick to Pulse and its 3,5 inch screen (I like big screens - I'm thinking of buying used HTC HD2 and switch it to Android - 4,3 inches of capacitive screen, 1 GHz processor, 448 megs of RAM...).

And why replacement? I think that Pulse is really nice phone... Aside that it doesn't have real official 2.1 nor 2..2 updates, it's working nice, it doesn't look that bad and quality is good enough... Sure, it's not HTC but it doesn't cost as much, right?