Replacement Rear Cover

Guest sporkguy

Guest sporkguy

Hey guys, I need your help please. I'm basically in need of a new rear battery cover for my Desire, as it's become very scratched over the 3 months I've owned it.

When I take a photo now it's very blurry and misty, and without the cover on it's perfect.. boo :D

I've tried to find a normal rear cover on eBay/Google but the closest I've found is a silver one from mobilefun for £17 - not really what I'm after!

Does anyone know anywhere I can pick up an original one cheap? I can get an insurance replacement for £15 from Orange if it comes to it, but I'd rather not have to re-root etc!

Cheers :D

Guest buttonsandzips

If you are Orange they will replace it once for free, even if you don't have insurance. I cracked the lens cover on mine and they sent me a new one no quibbles.

Guest Tomdibom

OR: visit your local watchmaker and ask him if he replaces the scratched cover with sapphire glass. Should cost about 10 - 20$. I read reports about that in a german forum and they were all enthusiastic. There's almost no way you can scratch that.

Guest Arty Marty
OR: visit your local watchmaker and ask him if he replaces the scratched cover with sapphire glass. Should cost about 10 - 20$. I read reports about that in a german forum and they were all enthusiastic. There's almost no way you can scratch that.

What a cool idea!!!

I have a watch glass made out of that stuff, I make a lot of metal sculptures and I am constantly wacking my watch on sharp bits of metal... the metal case of my watch is scratched to sh*t, but the saphire glass looks as good as the day I unboxed it...

Guest chipyy

Before you splash on a new cover mate, google for "Displex". It's a plastic polish for taking scratches out of mobile screens (not glass ones) and camera lens covers. I thought it looked like cheap rubbish but figured for a couple of quid it was worth a punt before I splashed on a new back cover. It worked wonders. I had a whole weekend of festival photos ruined by mist and fog, looked like they'd been taken with a cheap ass crap camera phone. Now they are crystal clear again. I'm not 100% sure it got rid of the scratches, some people have suggested there is an anti-glare coating on the lens cover which gets a bit f-ed up, so maybe it just took the remains of that off, but either way my photos are back to the quality they are when the phone was new for a couple of quid.

I know I sound a bit like a corporate shill here, I'd be happy to post some before and after shots if you want any further proof! :D

Edited by chipyy

Guest sporkguy

Excellent suggestions, thanks everyone. Think I'll give my jeweller a shot first, failing that Displex, then failing that ask Orange then failing that Expansys!

Guest Arty Marty

Brasso (for cleaning brass) is great for getting scratches out of things - including resurecting scratched CD/DVD discs.... it might be cheaper than the other stuff mentioned... and if you want to go realy tight-ass about it, toothpaste will work.. but takes even longer...

Marty

Guest sporkguy
Brasso (for cleaning brass) is great for getting scratches out of things - including resurecting scratched CD/DVD discs.... it might be cheaper than the other stuff mentioned... and if you want to go realy tight-ass about it, toothpaste will work.. but takes even longer...

Marty

TOP TIP! We've got a can of Brasso in the workshop so I gave it a go for a few minutes and my lens is perfect again. I tip my cap at your sir, many thanks!