Galaxy S Review and iPhone comparision.

Guest kevwright

Guest kevwright

Some of you may find this interesting, it is a longish read though!

Please note if you read it it is very much UK focused with regard to available phones here.

A snippet

"This is an important moment for me folks, and this has been a bit painful to write, as you may know I am a pretty strong iPhone fanboi, and this was not the outcome I expected.....I will discuss it with the guys in PSC 51 next week"

Visit My Website kevwright.com to read the full article

Kev

Guest ranblv
Some of you may find this interesting, it is a longish read though!

Please note if you read it it is very much UK focused with regard to available phones here.

A snippet

"This is an important moment for me folks, and this has been a bit painful to write, as you may know I am a pretty strong iPhone fanboi, and this was not the outcome I expected.....I will discuss it with the guys in PSC 51 next week"

Visit My Website kevwright.com to read the full article

Kev

It is a well written review, his apple boy bias shows from time to time but all in all a fair review.

Guest miker71

Ha, if he'd reviewed only stock firmware it would be a whole different review!

I wonder how many people compare iPhone4 with stock SGS (like JF3 that mine shipped with - would've driven me mad by now!!)

I still say, give me an iPhone5 with 16:9 4" display and an agenda widget - they could get me back. Right now the signs are that Android will be my choice at least the next couple of years. I have no use for a larger touchscreen device, whether it be powered by Android or iOS - iPads, Tabs, Slates, whatever - they are the SodaStream of this decade I reckon.

Once Android has gaming sewn up (Samsung hardware addresses this well, HTC does not in my experience) then they'll be no stopping it. I miss EliminatePro just a little :-)

Guest Andrew Luecke

Actually, whats interesting was that in PC Magazin in Germany this month (or last month), the iPhone 4G actually scored really well, 90%. The SGS interestingly got 91%. I can't read german though, so was only told by my dad.

However, the problem with many reviews though, is that they aren't comprehensive tests, and they often do silly stuff such as comparing app stores by application numbers (without actually testing if the applications were decent). I bet the iPhone reviewer didn't actually test the quality of the antenna, and the SGS one didn't test the GPS comprehensively (although, since I can't read german, not sure).

But it does show that Android phones are finally considered mostly equal in many reviews now, and does show there is a change in attitude.. I used to be a HUGE Apple fanboi too, to the point that I worked at an Applecentre. But looks like attitudes are finally changing.

This review though does reflect the thoughts of what people said when I showed them my phone. But, if Samsung don't fix the minor issues with this phone which are only evident with broad and heavy use, I think it would be hard to suggest to some people this phone. But after the september patches, I believe that almost every apple user will be drooling over my phone :D

Guest DistortedLoop

I wonder how many people compare iPhone4 with stock SGS (like JF3 that mine shipped with - would've driven me mad by now!!)

I still say, give me an iPhone5 with 16:9 4" display and an agenda widget - they could get me back. Right now the signs are that Android will be my choice at least the next couple of years. I have no use for a larger touchscreen device, whether it be powered by Android or iOS - iPads, Tabs, Slates, whatever - they are the SodaStream of this decade I reckon.

Once Android has gaming sewn up (Samsung hardware addresses this well, HTC does not in my experience) then they'll be no stopping it. I miss EliminatePro just a little :-)

I don't want to get into the number of available apps debate, but the iPhone doesn't just own the games market, it still owns the apps in general market. Again, I'm not talking about just sheer numbers. I'm talking about QUALITY, well-designed apps for everyday needs.

I'm a weightlifter and I've tried every Android gym logger on the market. They all suck. Clunky interfaces, poor data export, etc. The best one out there is pretty obviously a rip-off/kang of a certain iPhone app, and what's sad is they didn't even copy the best of the iPhone apps! LOL. The iPhone, on the other hand, has a couple of good ones. I actually still carry my iPhone to the gym ONLY because of my gym log app on it.

My experience has been the same for expense trackers, mileage logs, and ways to access my data in the cloud. Throw in even the control your DVR type apps.

There are "acceptable" solutions for most apps on Android, and some even surpass iPhone experiences, but over-all I still give the edge to the iPhone market here.

Obviously, your mileage may vary here, and if anyone prefers Android apps to iPhone apps, more power to them, I'll respect that that's their opinion and that we have different opinions.

And whether you like iTunes or not, you have to admit that the iPhone/iTunes experience allows for some nifty, easy, all-in-one seamless experiences. The particular examples I am thinking of is the iTunes Remote app on the phone. It lets you control your iTunes remotely for playback of music/podcasts, even wirelessly over network attached speakers. Also, if you rate a song on your phone or iTunes, the rating syncs. When I was a heavy iPhone user, I would use my iPhone to start the iTunes server in the back room to play podcasts through out the house, listen to them during the morning while getting ready for work, then hit a quick sync on the phone before leaving to work and all my podcasts, including playback position are synced with the phone so that I can take up right where I left off as I get in the car. I can' think of any seamless easy way to do this with Android and Google services - speak up if you can, because I'd love to implement it.

That's the kind of all-in-one easy to do user experience Apple specializes in. For those that are interested in that kind of thing and better games more than customization, real multitasking, widgets, etc, the iPhone remains a fine choice. For the rest of us, Android makes sense.

Guest DistortedLoop
But, if Samsung don't fix the minor issues with this phone which are only evident with broad and heavy use, I think it would be hard to suggest to some people this phone. But after the september patches, I believe that almost every apple user will be drooling over my phone :D

My friend who is due to upgrade to a new phone last week wants the Samsung, and I'd been recommending it, but I've told him to hold off because it's got enough issues with it right now (the lag is the major one) that I can't suggest he get it because he's not the type to deal with hacks, and I don't want to become his tech support technician any more than I already am.

The i9000, and presumably the Vibrant and Captivate are good devices for the techie types who'll read a forum like this or xda, but it's not a good choice for the masses, in my opinion. Sadly, I think the lagginess of the SGS variants will hurt the device's reputation as all the average-joes who ran out and bought the Vibrant because of the free version of Avatar on it with T-Mobile will end up disappointed or frustrated by the phone's constant freezing in the GUI.

Guest kevwright

Would not even had got as far as *doing* a review :-)

I should make the point a bit clearer in the article, the whole thing is based on a later ROM, Lag Fix, and GPS Fix.

Kev

Guest Andrew Luecke
That's the kind of all-in-one easy to do user experience Apple specializes in. For those that are interested in that kind of thing and better games more than customization, real multitasking, widgets, etc, the iPhone remains a fine choice. For the rest of us, Android makes sense.

It's worth noting though that Android has only been competitive very recently, because unlike Apple, Android uses byte-code so REALLY needs JIT to compete (only available recently).

I'd expect Android development to accelerate and overtake the iPhone's soon too, especially since we have less restrictions, and the SDK works on OSX, Windows and Linux (not just OSX). Developers can create large-scale apps for Android SAFELY, without risking rejection from the app-store (potentially wasting tens of thousands of development dollars).

So currently yes, iPhone's are probably best for applications, but Android developers are now stepping up their game since Android mobiles are being released with usable multi-touch controllers and hardware which is not only competitive, but considerably better in some cases..

Guest kevwright
But after the september patches, I believe that almost every apple user will be drooling over my phone :D

First of all I don't think we should just accept that these patches will be the end of the issue, Samsung do have history here :-)

And, despite my current love of the SGS, I would not be drooling over one as an iPhone *4* owner, that phone, assuming they can jailbreak it and add a couple of choice apps, is pretty much the equal of the SGS.

Kev

Guest miker71

Roll on Cyanogenmod for SGS :-)

Actually, the latest update I saw, Cyanogen 6.0 is not being worked on for Vibrant, rather Vibrant has to wait for Cyanogen 6.1 ... then we have to wait to see if that'll work on the i9000 with much hacking.

Also, checking the Vibrant forums on XDA, seems there is an alpha build of AOSP Eclair which is a good sign.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=757000

Guest Andrew Luecke
First of all I don't think we should just accept that these patches will be the end of the issue, Samsung do have history here :-)

What history are you referring to (out of curiosity)

Guest kevwright
What history are you referring to (out of curiosity)

i8910 a very nice Symbian handset, actualy the hardware Microsoft have been showing early WP7SP builds on, and with the fantastic HyperX firmware still a decent device, ahead of it's time really.

The Moment I think it wss called, no firmware upgrades?

There are more if you Google them.

Kev

Guest DistortedLoop
It's worth noting though that Android has only been competitive very recently, because unlike Apple, Android uses byte-code so REALLY needs JIT to compete (only available recently).

I'd expect Android development to accelerate and overtake the iPhone's soon too, especially since we have less restrictions, and the SDK works on OSX, Windows and Linux (not just OSX). Developers can create large-scale apps for Android SAFELY, without risking rejection from the app-store (potentially wasting tens of thousands of development dollars).

So currently yes, iPhone's are probably best for applications, but Android developers are now stepping up their game since Android mobiles are being released with usable multi-touch controllers and hardware which is not only competitive, but considerably better in some cases..

I agree with all you say, but this is today, here and now, and I can't recommend phones to people based on what I expect (hope is more like it) Android devs will do in the future.

I don't think it's going to be too long before the Android apps catch up, but in the meantime, it's something someone still needs to consider - especially if they're already invested in iPhone ecosystem.

And, despite my current love of the SGS, I would not be drooling over one as an iPhone *4* owner, that phone, assuming they can jailbreak it and add a couple of choice apps, is pretty much the equal of the SGS.

Kev

Except for the significantly smaller screen and much worse contrast ratio and lack of inky blacks...

Roll on Cyanogenmod for SGS :-)

Actually, the latest update I saw, Cyanogen 6.0 is not being worked on for Vibrant, rather Vibrant has to wait for Cyanogen 6.1 ... then we have to wait to see if that'll work on the i9000 with much hacking.

Also, checking the Vibrant forums on XDA, seems there is an alpha build of AOSP Eclair which is a good sign.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=757000

You're making me wish I'd waited for the Vibrant instead of grabbing an international i9000. lol