Data issues on orange... Phone or network?

Guest Dr_Ash

Guest Dr_Ash

I have been having a problem with my data connection since yesterday....

most of the time the mobile network is "turning on..." if I look in wireless and network settings, but doesn't actually establish a data connection. If it DOES establish a data connection (i.e. the icon appears in the notification bar) there is actually no data throughput - it won't load web pages or load facebook data or tweets etc....

is this a problem with the phone or my network? Was working fine until yesterday..... Could it be problems with the data network in my area? It doesn't even connect to Edge or standard GPRS either - so it doesn't seem to be limited to 3G.

I'm in the Glasgow area, anyone else on Orange in this area having the same problems?

Guest Cooperman_UK
I have been having a problem with my data connection since yesterday....

most of the time the mobile network is "turning on..." if I look in wireless and network settings, but doesn't actually establish a data connection. If it DOES establish a data connection (i.e. the icon appears in the notification bar) there is actually no data throughput - it won't load web pages or load facebook data or tweets etc....

is this a problem with the phone or my network? Was working fine until yesterday..... Could it be problems with the data network in my area? It doesn't even connect to Edge or standard GPRS either - so it doesn't seem to be limited to 3G.

I'm in the Glasgow area, anyone else on Orange in this area having the same problems?

Its been reported on a couple of forums that there is a problem with Orange network last night and this morning, I'm in Motherwell and having the same problems.

Guest buttonsandzips
Its been reported on a couple of forums that there is a problem with Orange network last night and this morning, I'm in Motherwell and having the same problems.

I am in Norwich and have had the same problems. Couldn't get any data after about 5.30 and it has been coming and going this morning. Annoyingly I installed a new ROM at the same time so I assumed it was that which broke it!

Guest TheScrub

I confirmed this last night with a friend in Oranges network area, rest assured they are very much aware of the issue.

The 3G issues I had in the Bristol last night were fixed by around 1am. Hope it doesn't take too long for you guys to get your service back!

Guest camdenhandbrake
I am in Norwich and have had the same problems. Couldn't get any data after about 5.30 and it has been coming and going this morning. Annoyingly I installed a new ROM at the same time so I assumed it was that which broke it!

This also coincided with me installing the RC1 ROM. Glad to hear that it's a problem at Orange's end.

Guest TheScrub
Orange said to me "it might get fixed this week" for my area. Excellent.

Don't listen to what the CSRs have to say, 3G is a money maker for Orange so it's in their interest to fix it ASAP.

Guest DarthOps
Don't listen to what the CSRs have to say, 3G is a money maker for Orange so it's in their interest to fix it ASAP.

Lets just hope that when it comes back on it actually works properly. I'm fed up paying for a poor mobile internet experience from Orange when other network users can get great fast and reliable connections!

Seriously, Orange could really do with upgrading their infrastructure in general, and to not have a fail over system......I dunno....

Guest buttonsandzips
Lets just hope that when it comes back on it actually works properly. I'm fed up paying for a poor mobile internet experience from Orange when other network users can get great fast and reliable connections!

Seriously, Orange could really do with upgrading their infrastructure in general, and to not have a fail over system......I dunno....

Orange 3G coverage is excellent and fast in my area, but I do agree that the fact that it has gone down at all and for so long is p*ss poor.

Guest TheScrub

Upgrades to infrastructure cost money, just wait for the benefits of the merge with T-Mobile to start appearing.

A failover system would cost £££££, having twice the current network kit would drive even the best mobile operators to the ground.

No one provider is perfect, they all experience network blips of varying severity. I'm not defending Orange here, I agree that their 3G network can be patchy but there were probably a whole team of engineers in Orange who were aware of the issue before anyone else. People get woken up in the middle of the night to come and fix problems of this kind of severity.

Guest CaspaTheGhost

Been crap in central London all day!!! Had no data conx 98% of the time today, just said connecting...

I have to say that Orange seem to be pretty poor these days, been with them for 8 months now and there are always issues with 3G... HSDPA is great, but 3G is come and go regardless of actual signal strength, network congestion I reckon...

Customer service cant do a thing, and the best advice they gave me a while back when 3G wasnt working, was switch it to 2G!!! When I complained that if I do that I will then miss calls while I have an active data conx they said I wouldnt, but when I said I do as I have experienced it they brushed over it and just went on about how their 2G network is fantastic and 3G is new technology so it takes time to get it right?!?!?!?!?

The quicker they sort it the better... But when the contracts up the business lines are no longer gonna be with Orange!

Edited by CaspaTheGhost

Guest alexspy

I've been having issues with orange data in central london since i got this phone and realised how important data is. I thought it was the phone to blame so i went out and bought a 3 pay as you go sim card to test. I get a stable 2mbps up and down speed with 3. Orange starts and stops at about 0.3mbps. Completely unusable down in central, especially when you tell your mates "yeah i'll just check it on my phone and your internet goes down". Im thinking of switching to another network!

Guest CaspaTheGhost

Yep, very poor and I have experienced the same thing - you need to look something up but cant as no data, so no web, no maps, no nowt!!! :D

Guest acolwill

To all of you whom are/were experiencing issues with Orange's data network:

They're in the process of merging with T-Mobile's data network... there's no other reason why there would be a nationwide outage.

I partially confirmed this myself by having a chat with the Premier Support team @ Orange on Friday, as when I asked the bloke whether the outage was linked with the TMO-Orange merger he said it was "most likely" as he had no direct forewarning but knew it was immenent.

Guest CaspaTheGhost
To all of you whom are/were experiencing issues with Orange's data network:

They're in the process of merging with T-Mobile's data network... there's no other reason why there would be a nationwide outage.

I partially confirmed this myself by having a chat with the Premier Support team @ Orange on Friday, as when I asked the bloke whether the outage was linked with the TMO-Orange merger he said it was "most likely" as he had no direct forewarning but knew it was immenent.

As much as I would like to believe that, I cant as there have been problems with Orange data (especially 3G) since I joined the network back in January... It tends to be at its worse when I am at work in central London (City) so I believe it is due to network congestion, but there have been countless nationwide problems/issues over the past 8 months...

Hopefully the merger will improve things, but I dont believe it is the cause of things!

In my view, the Support guy you spoke to simply went along with what you said as it sounds as if it could be feasible... If it really was the reason then I'm sure they would have had a memo and script to tell everyone... Whenever I have spoken to business support they have said it will improve with the merger but cannot give any specifics as to when etc...