Desire ROM update - Stock to MCR Froyo

Guest chucky.egg

Guest chucky.egg

OK, I've done ROM updates on a Hero, but the Desire seems very different

I have a stock HTC-branded v2.1 Desire, with 1.21.xxx and HBOOT 0.80, not rooted or buggered around with at all

I've also baked a ROM from the RC1 "Froyo with Sense" Kitchen

How do I get it onto the phone?

I think I need to:

Make a Goldcard to get Root and the Custom Recovery Image

Put my baked ROM on the SD card as update.zip

Power on with Vol-

"Recovery", and at ! screen Vol+ then Power

"Apply SD card: update.zip"

Is that right?

I'm getting lost with Goldcards, FakeFlash and so on.

You got the first step right, you need to be rooted. But is your device carrier-branded? If not, you don't need to create the goldcard. And mind that stock recovery will not accept other ROM update packages than those signed with HTC certificate. So if I can advise, flash a permanent CRI (custom recovery image) from unrEVOked team http://unrevoked.com/#desire, it will make customizing your phone a lot easier. With custom recovery, you can forget you ever heard about fake-flash and stuff.

If you have any further questions, just ask, no one's gonna shout. We're on MoDaCo, not on XDA :D

...and welcome to the Desire owners club! :D

EDIT: Duh! I'm stupid... I forgot, that when you use the unrEVOked method, you'll be already rooted!

Edited by squrl

Guest Dr_Ash

an easy way to root would be to use unrevoked 3....

http://unrevoked.com/recovery/

it's an "easy root" solution..

or, just follow this guide here at modaco....

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...o-1-21-support/

once you have rooted with this guide, install ROM Manager from the marketplace, load it up and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" which installs the fake-flash recovery onto your phone.

put the ROM .zip file you want onto your SD card

Then...

1. power on whilst holding volume down

2. select recovery using the volume rocker and hit power

3. at the Red exclamation mark screen hold volume up and hit the power button again

4. select apply update.zip (this pushes the recovery direct from your SD card - as ROM manager puts the recovery files into update.zip and places it in the root of your SD card)

once in recovery do a nandroid backup, wipe, and install the ROM .zip from your SD card

Hope this helps

Then...

1. power on whilst holding volume down

2. select recovery using the volume rocker and hit power

3. at the Red exclamation mark screen hold volume up and hit the power button again

4. select apply update.zip (this pushes the recovery direct from your SD card - as ROM manager puts the recovery files into update.zip and places it in the root of your SD card)

once in recovery do a nandroid backup, wipe, and install the ROM .zip from your SD card

Hope this helps

When you root using the unrEVOked method, there's no need to do this as you'll already have permanent clockwordmod recovery! Following this guide, you'll be loading clockwormod recovery (fake-flash) via clockwordmod recovery (permanent) :D

Guest Dr_Ash
When you root using the unrEVOked method, there's no need to do this as you'll already have permanent clockwordmod recovery! Following this guide, you'll be loading clockwormod recovery (fake-flash) via clockwordmod recovery (permanent) :D

I was actually suggesting two possible methods...

Use unrevoked 3

OR

use the pauls guide (the second link I posted)

the following steps are the steps you would take after rooting via pauls method, not after rooting via unrevoked

Guest chucky.egg

I'm a long-time modaco member, but I know that some people get stroppy with newbie questions (especially on flashing)

Anyway...

What have we here?

Froyo!

Thanks guys

Guest Dr_Ash
I'm a long-time modaco member, but I know that some people get stroppy with newbie questions (especially on flashing)

Anyway...

What have we here?

Froyo!

Thanks guys

great :D

which method did you decide to go with?