Root or ecovery gives usb mounting problems lets fix it!

Guest jasonXXx

Guest jasonXXx

This is geting stupid now we have custom roms and recovery images that all work nice but we still cant solve the usb mounting problem. Example i install any recovery image and usb stops working i install any custom rom and usb stops working i install superboot for root or a su update.zip and usb stops working whats going on?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kallt_kaffe
This is geting stupid now we have custom roms and recovery images that all work nice but we still cant solve the usb mounting problem. Example i install any recovery image and usb stops working i install any custom rom and usb stops working i install superboot for root or a su update.zip and usb stops working whats going on?

Now, here's my experience from the U8100 which is a very similar Huwaei phone.

- Rooting, did not kill usb mounting for me.

- Installing recovery image did not kill usb mounting

However what DID in fact kill it was wiping the data partition (done with the recovery image)

It turns out that the virtual CD-rom you get when attaching the USB, the one where you choose, betweem tether, usb mounting and more, is a file on the data partition.

/data/cdrom/autorun.iso

Guest jasonXXx
Now, here's my experience from the U8100 which is a very similar Huwaei phone.

- Rooting, did not kill usb mounting for me.

- Installing recovery image did not kill usb mounting

However what DID in fact kill it was wiping the data partition (done with the recovery image)

It turns out that the virtual CD-rom you get when attaching the USB, the one where you choose, betweem tether, usb mounting and more, is a file on the data partition.

/data/cdrom/autorun.iso

Hmm that maybe but i seem to get usb problems as soon as i install recovery even if i dont do a wipe also im sure it does the same with superboot if you chack the post lots of people are saying the same.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Hmm that maybe but i seem to get usb problems as soon as i install recovery even if i dont do a wipe also im sure it does the same with superboot if you chack the post lots of people are saying the same.

Well, it may be different on the U8110 but on my U8100 wiping data was the thing that started the problems and putting the autorun.iso back fixed it.

Connect adb and do some logging when trying to enable usb mounting.

try "logcat" and also "cat /proc/kmsg" and see if you can find out what's happening.

Guest jasonXXx
Well, it may be different on the U8110 but on my U8100 wiping data was the thing that started the problems and putting the autorun.iso back fixed it.

Connect adb and do some logging when trying to enable usb mounting.

try "logcat" and also "cat /proc/kmsg" and see if you can find out what's happening.

OK thanks il try 1 more thing were is the image stored?

Guest freddyemmer
/data/cdrom/autorun.iso

Hi,

i have build custom roms for the 8120 (vodafone 845) and if i delete de ISO usbmounting won't work anymore.

In the vodafone version you need the image file on data/cdrom

Guest kallt_kaffe
Hi,

i have build custom roms for the 8120 (vodafone 845) and if i delete de ISO usbmounting won't work anymore.

In the vodafone version you need the image file on data/cdrom

As I've done the same for the custom U8100 rom I'm tinkering with and in my next release I've moved the iso to /system (as there was plenty of space left) and added a line of code in init.rc that symlinks /system/cdrom /data/cdrom.

This have two advantages:

1. It survives wipe:ing data

2. It frees up 25Mb on /data.

You may want consider this for your Vodafone ROM.

Just add "symlink /system/cdrom /data/cdrom" in init.rc. Just make sure you do it AFTER data has been mounted.

Edited by kallt_kaffe