Random reboots

Guest yosemite-sam

Guest yosemite-sam

how bad is everyone's experiences? Is it Hardware or software?

Mine will be going back monday it should have gone back sooner! my own fault thinking a software upgrade would fix it.

whether running 1.6 or 2.1 it will boot up, be usable then just flash reboot then hang on the dell screen indefinitely.

for me this isnt occasional anymore its happening every time i turn the fucker on, im lucky if i get afew minutes use out of it.

this is fast becoming junk

how bad is everyone's experiences? Is it Hardware or software?

Mine will be going back monday it should have gone back sooner! my own fault thinking a software upgrade would fix it.

whether running 1.6 or 2.1 it will boot up, be usable then just flash reboot then hang on the dell screen indefinitely.

for me this isnt occasional anymore its happening every time i turn the fucker on, im lucky if i get afew minutes use out of it.

this is fast becoming junk

Maybe it's only the backplate not fixed well... (?)

Guest yosemite-sam
Maybe it's only the backplate not fixed well... (?)

wish it was that simple lol

i place the cover over the back and slide up making sure i can feel it tighten and am also aware of that piece of metal that sticks out as its meant to slide between the battery and sim.

im downloading 3883 in pkg now see if theres any joy with that. this never happened with the stock rom so who knows!

it was intermittent with 4399 till recently when it just became too frequent to bare. 2.1 goes on fine but just reboots 2 seconds after showing the lock screen. pulling the battery is the only way out as it just hangs and the dell logo if i let it reboot. if it does decide to boot its just a matter of time before it will go no matter if im in a call or installing. hooking it up to my powerbook or pc makes no difference it still reboots worst of all when im using eclipse which is a pain in the ass.

Guest spences10

Have you tried making sure that the dalvik is cleared before flashing the .pkg?

You can do it one of two ways:

First [thanks to fards]

In terminal emulator type:

su

cd data/dalvik-cache

rm *

exit

Or flash clockwork mod recovery and clear the dilvik that way

That may help, its worked with me before.

Guest yosemite-sam
Have you tried making sure that the dalvik is cleared before flashing the .pkg?

You can do it one of two ways:

First [thanks to fards]

In terminal emulator type:

su

cd data/dalvik-cache

rm *

exit

Or flash clockwork mod recovery and clear the dilvik that way

That may help, its worked with me before.

thanks for the tip, i'll try that out.

well ive had enough of this crap, it rebooted on me twice just trying to get into terminal emulator. i had to pull the battery just to get it booted for the 2nd attempt. now its just black screen and flashing no matter how many times i pull the battery.

so thats 3883 no joy either, this is a joke.

Edited by yosemite-sam

Guest craigdabbs

i sent my streak back to o2 as it kept rebooting, this was hardware issue tho. everytime i tapped the back panel or put it down on a hard surface it would reset even upon booting and in recovery. ig ot a new 1 sent to me after 7 days even tho i was 40 odd days into my contract

Do you get resets when in recovery? as this would clarify it being a hardware fault

Guest Dogmann55

Hi yosemite-sam

Your story unfortunately sounds painfully familiar and like you i tried everything that anyone suggested none of which made much difference like you i was lucky to get a couple of minutes use if i was lucky it most defiantly wasn't the back cover or the software IMHO it is a hardware fault of some kind and it seems a lot of people seem to have this problem. My biggest problem was i bought mine from CPW with their non existent customer service for the Streak won't ever buy anything from them again that's for sure. So because i was over 28 days I've had to deal with Dell and what fun that's been it took them 9 days to get my Streak collected by UPS and no i don't live in a remote area i live in London. My Streak has been shipped to Hungary Dells Streak service centre for the UK and i should have it back within 10 days if i believe that I'll believe anything as its been 5 days already. What annoyed me most about Dells customer service is that even the managers i talked to who said they would call me back never did not once I'm sick of every time i call having to repeat the entire history again and again although i must say the service agents mostly where very helpful or tried to be.

I've now bought a Samsung Galaxy S as believe it or not i can't be without my main device a smart phone for 2-3 weeks who'd of thought it i really liked my Streak but the only thing I'm really missing is the larger screen not sure what I'm going to do on its return but it's likely i will sell it and wait for another Android slate/tablet release with an even larger screen to use as my second device will it be a Dell some how i doubt it.

Marc

Guest jannism

I've had similar experiences. After a trouble-free first couple of weeks I started to experience the odd reboot that I'd read on here some of you lot had experienced. This didn't bother me greatly as I expected as much with a first gen device and it appeared to be software related - something I was quietly confident would be remedied with the release of the promised (mystical) 2.2 Froyo update.

Whilst on holiday last week I grabbed the leaked eclair update through here and installed it pretty-much without a hitch. My troubles began a few days later where random crashes, often accompanied by endless loops of going nowhere or just plain frozen on the Dell screen took place. I reckon I have removed and replaced the battery in this device more times in the last week than most users put together would do in a lifetime - I have also reinstalled and returned to factory settings several times over. This was either with or without the sim installed. Upon returning to the UK (from France) I replaced the sim and started it up (it had been off for a good 24 hours) and... happy days! Everything seemed to be back to normal.

Then for some inexplicable reason I installed adw launcher (inexplicable because I had already decided it wasn't my cup of tea the first time round). I then tried out the animated wallpaper and...boom! Brick-city.

After much more swearing and battery frolics I managed to get wallpapers off and adw removed. It has been stable since then. I'm finally at my pc where I can now explore some of the debug options, so...any advice (with child-level instructions) gratefully received. :huh:

I really like this device - it ticks every box for me with one glaring exception - reliability. I'm loathe to enter the returns ping-pong process as I'm doubtful as to what it would acheive given the apparent faults but I'm losing patience (and hair).

• 3 months later...
I've had similar experiences. After a trouble-free first couple of weeks I started to experience the odd reboot that I'd read on here some of you lot had experienced. This didn't bother me greatly as I expected as much with a first gen device and it appeared to be software related - something I was quietly confident would be remedied with the release of the promised (mystical) 2.2 Froyo update.

Whilst on holiday last week I grabbed the leaked eclair update through here and installed it pretty-much without a hitch. My troubles began a few days later where random crashes, often accompanied by endless loops of going nowhere or just plain frozen on the Dell screen took place. I reckon I have removed and replaced the battery in this device more times in the last week than most users put together would do in a lifetime - I have also reinstalled and returned to factory settings several times over. This was either with or without the sim installed. Upon returning to the UK (from France) I replaced the sim and started it up (it had been off for a good 24 hours) and... happy days! Everything seemed to be back to normal.

Then for some inexplicable reason I installed adw launcher (inexplicable because I had already decided it wasn't my cup of tea the first time round). I then tried out the animated wallpaper and...boom! Brick-city.

After much more swearing and battery frolics I managed to get wallpapers off and adw removed. It has been stable since then. I'm finally at my pc where I can now explore some of the debug options, so...any advice (with child-level instructions) gratefully received. :)

I really like this device - it ticks every box for me with one glaring exception - reliability. I'm loathe to enter the returns ping-pong process as I'm doubtful as to what it would acheive given the apparent faults but I'm losing patience (and hair).

Have same problem. Any ide how to read logs from stereak on locked o2 froyo? Meaby from log i will be eable to read whats happening?