Press Dell to release kernel source - call for action

Guest smokku

We have now our own page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dell-Streak-...133689050009762

Press "Like it!" to promote the page.

It also appears in search result if you search for "dell streak" on Facebook. :huh:

The full logo of the action is attached.

You may use it to promote the action.

not entirely convinced that an online petition is the way to go forward, but this needs bumping..

see all the articles about the aero launch yesterday? lets make sure that every article, every tweet, has replies about the lack of GPL compliance.

Guest smokku
not entirely convinced that an online petition is the way to go forward, but this needs bumping..

Me too, but all ways of raising awareness are ok. :huh:

see all the articles about the aero launch yesterday? lets make sure that every article, every tweet, has replies about the lack of GPL compliance.

+1

Me too, but all ways of raising awareness are ok. :huh:

+1

they've released the "thunder" today with android 1.5...

I'm beginning to suspect there's a complete and utter f*ckwit in charge of Dells mobile strategy..

Guest spences10

In response to one of my tweets today:

Will wait and see if there is a response

susanbeebe

@spences10 We hear you. I saw your tweet this morning :huh: Let me get back to you soon on this. Thanks!

Guest crash6
Sure. Me too.

Maybe someone will finally react.

I have tweeted, facebooked the s*** outa that petition. I have also sent the link to over 100 people at my work requesting they sign :huh:

Guest yosemite-sam

lol Smokku is famous now :huh:

Dell Answers Critics Demanding Streak's Source Code

A Dell representative said via Twitter on Thursday that the computer manufacturer is "reviewing concerns" that the company has not satisfied the terms of the GPL license in releasing the source code underlying the Dell Streak.

The Dell Streak tablet, which began shipping this month in the U.S., was first released in the United Kingdom in June.

The problem, according to a small but vocal group of developers and enthusiasts online, is that the Streak uses code licensed under the GNU General Public License, which allows third parties to both use and modify the code, provided that the company or person publishes the object code, either as part of a shipping device, on a physical medium, or publicly available via a server.

The problem is that the license does not define when such code must be released, although most believe that it should be provided as soon as the device that incorporates it is published.

A user named "Smokku" described her own frustration on [email protected]:

I've just spent few hours trying to build android-msm-2.6.32 Linux kernel for Dell Streak," Smokku wrote. "It turns out that it is impossible, without device specific board files. These files are in the Linux kernel source tree Dell used to build kernel for Streak and Dell is obliged under the terms of GPL, to give this source to any owner of Streak requesting it."

Smokku urged others to sign an an online petition, which had only amassed 183 signatures at press time.

But that was enough to gain the attention of Dell blogger Lionel Menchaca, who tweeted: "We're reviewing concerns re: the #dellstreak source code. We intend to comply with all applicable requirements. More details soon."

Dell may be reacting to fears that it will be the latest target of a suit by the Free Software Foundation, which sued Cisco in Dec. 2008 over allegedly modifying GNU-licensed software, then refusing to publish the modified code. In May 2009, Cisco settled with the FSF. The terms included the appointment of a Free Software Director at Linksys, a subsidiary of Cisco, who would report to the FSF on a periodic basis.

source

Typical condescending sloppy journalism from them...

obviously come on here, see smokkus avatar (one of them, they are really distracting, especially that brunette with the glasses :huh: ) and decide he's a *SHE*

another 20 seconds work (damn did I really say journalist and work in the same paragraph? ) and they would have found Tomasz' "blag"

if you're actually reading this "mark hackman" <<see what I did there, I should be a journo, then I suggest you donate your days earnings to a sensible charity to appease your slacker guilt.... ;)

Guest Shauneh

It got another 100 people to sign the petition :huh: now standing at 272, and was at 183 at time of writing.

So hopefully this will amass to something good ;)

--

Shauneh

Guest smokku
obviously come on here, see smokkus avatar (one of them, they are really distracting, especially that brunette with the glasses :huh: ) and decide he's a *SHE*

LOL. i haven't even notice that in the article.

BTW, you may want to see the rest of the picture of that brunette. :>

Se has some BIG virtues... :>

Edited by smokku

LOL. i haven't even notice that in the article.

BTW, you may want to see the rest of the picture of that brunette. :>

Se has some BIG virtues... :>

I can imagine.. don't think I'd better submit the picture to "tineye" while I'm at work :huh:

Guest micduffy
Thank you very much for your support and actions.

I updated the first post with new Twitter accounts.

There is also a new link to Dell support forum there. Start a new topic there demanding the sources, and bump the existing ones by "mee too" posts, to gain some more visibility.

I have posted a news of this violation on OSNews and SlashDot http://slashdot.org/submission/1315126/Dell-violates-GPL - let's see whether these will surface up.

Those having accounts on SlashDot could help by voting this news up. :huh:

As for GPL-Violations, I think it's too early. We need to make an effort by ourselves first, before they could take action.

Yeah its taking off