Press Dell to release kernel source - call for action

Guest smokku

Guest synaptic.flaws
Well... It leaves you with helpful and responsive Dell then.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

How much do you want for your Streak?

This is Dell's response on the Mobile Devices forum:-

"We're reviewing concerns re: the #dellstreak source code. We intend to comply with all applicable requirements. More details soon."

So far there is no reply to the letter I posted to Dell UK on 23rd August.

Guest popetodd

I am sure they are.

And from what I am reading it appears that a lot of you don't understand the GPL.

Dell has a responsibility to release any code that they built USING GPL'd code, that is code that was expanding upon already GPL'd code.

They are under NO obligation whatsoever to release any custom code that they wrote and compiled that does NOT use or expand upon GPL'd code.

Understand?

They definitely need to run a code review in order to make sure they aren't handing over PROPRIETARY code not covered under the GPL (unless they themselves GPL it), code that is theirs exclusively and that they don't have to just give you unless they feel nice about it and like you a lot.

In other words read the GPL ALL the way through and try harder to understand what it says instead of posting half truths and screaming for blood.

And quite harassing Dell already, they've given you their answer and now you have to wait.

Unless of course you'd like them to stop working on 2.2 to satisfy your impatience...

Edited by popetodd

Guest spacecat46
I am sure they are.

And from what I am reading it appears that a lot of you don't understand the GPL.

Dell has a responsibility to release any code that they built USING GPL'd code, that is code that was expanding upon already GPL'd code.

They are under NO obligation whatsoever to release any custom code that they wrote and compiled that does NOT use or expand upon GPL'd code.

Understand?

They definitely need to run a code review in order to make sure they aren't handing over PROPRIETARY code not covered under the GPL (unless they themselves GPL it), code that is theirs exclusively and that they don't have to just give you unless they feel nice about it and like you a lot.

In other words read the GPL ALL the way through and try harder to understand what it says instead of posting half truths and screaming for blood.

And quite harassing Dell already, they've given you their answer and now you have to wait.

Unless of course you'd like them to stop working on 2.2 to satisfy your impatience...

personally I love dell for their cheaply priced accessories, their open user forums on their websites and the way they don't try to suppress negative reviews of their products.

I have no doubt they will shortly not only release the GPL but will also tell us how to install windows 7 and the iphone os onto our streaks in a multi boot format with android 4.0

Guest popetodd
personally I love dell for their cheaply priced accessories, their open user forums on their websites and the way they don't try to suppress negative reviews of their products.

I have no doubt they will shortly not only release the GPL but will also tell us how to install windows 7 and the iphone os onto our streaks in a multi boot format with android 4.0

So, you don't understand what I posted eh?

Guess you're in over your head then.

Read the GPL then make a reasoned coherent response, that last one was gibberish.

Edited by popetodd

So, you don't understand what I posted eh?

Guess you're in over your head then.

Your sarcasm detector should've went off when you read "cheaply priced accessories" :huh:

Guest popetodd
Your sarcasm detector should've went off when you read "cheaply priced accessories" ;)

It did.

That may have to dripped with sarcasm, but it's target was not Dell. :huh:

Guest Shauneh

Some guy called marvin02 tried to state that Android was licensed under the Apache license.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forum...t/19342314.aspx

I noted myself after doing some research that the Kernel source will always be GPLv2.

Meaning it will forever abide by the rules and regulations of GPLv2, I think they (Dell) thought they where going to get away with saying they where licensing under the Apache license which they cannot.

Correct me if I am mistaken?

Also I think we should give another internet push against them (again...) any plans of action that anyone has thought of?

Thanks,

--

Shauneh