I want to but I'm scared

Guest nixey

I have an HTC Desire on orange contract. I love the phone but not all the crap orange put on it.

I have been reading on here and other sites and I came accross these

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=754433

http://darrenrichie.blogspot.com/2010/08/h...sire-to-22.html

It looks dead easy, I have downloaded all the files and created my goldcard using the goldcard tool.

My worries are though if anything goes wrong, it may not be an expensive paperweight but it might take more knowledge than I have to recover it.

I don't know what radio is on my phone and have no idea what Hboot is.

has any one on orange tried this method? Any advice really welcome because although Froyo may be rolled out in a couple of weeks I really would like to ditch the Orange crap.

Thanks

Guest monkeysmith

I was the same, worried about rooting my phone. Am on Tmobile UK. I didn't use the goldcard method, I used unrevoked.

To find out your HBOOT version, turn then phone off, then hold down the volume down button and power the phone up. It will load a recovery screen and the hboot version will be displayed.

I followed this guide...

http://rootmydroid.co.uk/guides/desire/how...our-htc-desire/

Since rooting, I have installed loads of different roms, settled for Modaco R8.

What I understand, the radio is basically the phone drivers. To find out your version - Menu > Settings > About Phone > Software Information > Baseband Version.

Rooting all went well for me, am glad I did it.

Guest CaspaTheGhost

I would definately go with the Unrevoked method as it is by far the easiest and most safe!

I've had mine since release, the first one I bricked using the initial methods which were quite unsafe so I ended up just debranding, using a method on here, so I was just running the generic ROM...

I eventually rooted using Unrevoked and all went without an issue... Was using the rooted generic 2.2 ROM (with the most recent Radio version) posted by Paul at first, but now using MCR R8 (as its matured) along with a few other theme mods and its great...

Guest wiggy6230

Hi,

Just a quick one, I have recently, downgraded, rooted and flashed to various Modaco R8 Roms, all using the Unreoked method, very easy.

Doug

Guest Superman809

I do very little with my phone and barely notice any of the changes that I've made since buying one of the initial unbranded models that 3 sell.

Had no problem doing so, and feel happy in the knowledge that I have more control over what is on my phone.

I do very little with my phone and barely notice any of the changes that I've made since buying one of the initial unbranded models that 3 sell.

Had no problem doing so, and feel happy in the knowledge that I have more control over what is on my phone.

Can the Orange ROM be backed up so if I have to return it to Orange for repair I can just flash the orange rom back onto it so I can still get the benefit from the warranty

Guest chipyy

One thing to bear in mind - if you are going with a 2.2 based ROM you will also need to update your radio, which I believe on an Orange handset, also brings some sort of network lock into play or something, so it is worth having the unlock code for your device to hand before updating the radio.

My Desire is on Orange so I may have this wrong, it's just something I picked up on the forums, someone please correct me if this is not the case.

edit: And yes you can use a RUU to restore your bootloader, recovery etc to fully stock in case you need to return it for a warranty job.

Edited by chipyy

Guest tatey2457
One thing to bear in mind - if you are going with a 2.2 based ROM you will also need to update your radio, which I believe on an Orange handset, also brings some sort of network lock into play or something, so it is worth having the unlock code for your device to hand before updating the radio.

My Desire is on Orange so I may have this wrong, it's just something I picked up on the forums, someone please correct me if this is not the case.

edit: And yes you can use a RUU to restore your bootloader, recovery etc to fully stock in case you need to return it for a warranty job.

From what I've read, the newest radios aren't sim locking Orange branded handsets but double check as I could be wrong