JM6 leaked

Guest SC001

Hi everyone!

I was surfing the web and found this on XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=763369

No Kudos for me, but for the person who leaked this!!!!

About JM6 :

JM6 runs a bit more stable (came from jm2, jm5 had unstable radio)

It also runs a bit faster during booting even without the lagfix!

For the rest everything is pretty much the same, GPS is still quick, WiFi doesn't make the phone hang etc.

Radio file is more stable then JM5

My signal strength fluctuated a lot and with this one (jm6) it's more stable.

Also when i download a few things at the same time my phone begins to hang at some time, jm6 apperantly doesn't have any problems with downloading multiple items.

Taking pictures look a bit better (CMOS update????)

Accelerometer is somewhat faster with its response.

So try it and give the leaker respect!!!!

EDIT : Whoops while i was typing this an other person started the topic already please delete mine if needed.

Edited by SC001

Guest DistortedLoop
Hi everyone!

I was surfing the web and found this on XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=763369

No Kudos for me, but for the person who leaked this!!!!

About JM6 :

For the rest everything is pretty much the same, GPS is still quick, WiFi doesn't make the phone hang etc.

My signal strength fluctuated a lot and with this one (jm6) it's more stable.

Also when i download a few things at the same time my phone begins to hang at some time, jm6 apperantly doesn't have any problems with downloading multiple items.

Taking pictures look a bit better (CMOS update????)

Accelerometer is somewhat faster with its response.

So try it and give the leaker respect!!!!

EDIT : Whoops while i was typing this an other person started the topic already please delete mine if needed.

Actually, I'm going to give your post the reply love because you've actually installed it and reported some results rather than just point out it's available.

I saw it on xda early this morning, but figured I'd wait until this evening to install after some people had posted results. I'm downloading it right now and backing up my phone with both nandroid and Titanium before proceeding with the flash.

I'll report findings tomorrow evening after I've had a day to play with it. The reports on xda are all very positive so far, especially in regards to GPS performance.

Personally, I think I'll skip the lag-fix games for now and see how this ROM "feels" in that regard... Did you do any lag-fix?

Guest Andrew Luecke
Actually, I'm going to give your post the reply love because you've actually installed it and reported some results rather than just point out it's available.

I saw it on xda early this morning, but figured I'd wait until this evening to install after some people had posted results. I'm downloading it right now and backing up my phone with both nandroid and Titanium before proceeding with the flash.

I'll report findings tomorrow evening after I've had a day to play with it. The reports on xda are all very positive so far, especially in regards to GPS performance.

Personally, I think I'll skip the lag-fix games for now and see how this ROM "feels" in that regard... Did you do any lag-fix?

One thing I am wondering, how do we know these leaked rom's aren't simply hacked to lie about their firmware number?

We really need a process in place to protect us from people putting malware in roms and claiming it's a leaked version..

Well i did the Lagfix V4.0 with the super user acces (the one you need to put the phone in download mode) and i had some issues when running the script SL4A.

Apperantly it took from 2 AM to now (8:42) to create a 1 gig lagfix file!

In other words it hanged, so i did it again when waking up this morning and it went a OK.

Phone feels a lot faster with the lagfix but there is also a better ram management in JM6 hat i read on XDA.

And i can feel that because sometimes it looks like it's on steroids and the other time it's pretty standard like it has no lagfix.

So i'm thinking that the lagfix has an issue with the ram management i think

Edited by SC001

Guest lgkahn

\

how can you say the radio is more stable.. did you even bother to check the radio is THE EXACT same version that was in jm5.. people check what you are saying and making up arbitrary subjective crap b4 posting and misleading people.

Guest DistortedLoop
One thing I am wondering, how do we know these leaked rom's aren't simply hacked to lie about their firmware number?

We really need a process in place to protect us from people putting malware in roms and claiming it's a leaked version..

Yes, that's a concern with all the firmwares, even the ones on samsung-firmwares.com, or should I say especially those (Russian site, unknown owners, etc).

It crossed my mind when I saw the initial post yesterday morning, and one of the reasons I didn't jump on it.

I guess time will tell with this one.

how can you say the radio is more stable.. did you even bother to check the radio is THE EXACT same version that was in jm5.. people check what you are saying and making up arbitrary subjective crap b4 posting and misleading people.

You're correct of course that JM5 & JM6 bundles both include radio JM3, but you're also a bit harsh on the guy.

It could be placebo, but it could also be a real effect of the way the rest of the rom interacts with the modem, resulting in what appears to be a more stable "radio", when in effect it's just a more stable rom overall. You know, kind of like the way some are speculating the problem with the GPS isn't the GPS itself, but the whole lag business on the phone affecting it. Could be the same with the radio.

I can't comment on the actual radio itself, I went straight from JG1 to JM5 and noticed no problems with the JM3 radio that bundles with JM5.

Guest DistortedLoop
I have noticed significant performance increase thus I haven't applied lag fix as there is no need to.

It's far too early for me to decide if I'll need the lag fix, but I'm not running it.

I'll tell you, when I first rebooted the phone after applying the new ROM and rooting it, I was horrified at how terrible the phone was performing! FREEZE, LAG, FREEZE, FREEZE, LONG FREEZE. The phone was truly unusable.

Looks like it was the media scanner reindexing my 32gb (24 used) of internal and external sdcard space. Once that was ended, and I reinstalled all my apps with Titanium (use Auto/Indirect for SGS to work best) and restored my ADW settings, I rebooted the phone and it's working just fine now.

Moral of that story: let things settle down a bit after a fresh install before snapping to judgment. :huh:

I'll give the phone as good a workout as I can during the day and report back later. So far, though, I'm thinking that lag-fix not necessary, the phone might be faster with lag-fixes installed, but the most popular one right now has lots of downside issues in my opinion. If I lag-fix, I'll probably go the mimocan route, it's essentially apps2sd, it's safe, easy to do/undo and it's stable. But that's really for another topic.

Guest DistortedLoop

A guy on the JM6 thread ran a diff on JF3 vs. JM6. Not sure he got the whole ROM, so it's still not a sure thing, but it's an idea of how to see what's changed and if you don't trust any of the changes. More diffs here.

His findings may not prove JM6 isn't hacked, but at least there's good news for GPS troubled folks according to him.

For those wondering if anything has changed (to GPS stuff in particular), I've done a diff on the file listings of a backup of my stock JF3 and the new JM6.

I've tried to remove as much merged CSC stuff as I could from the list, but some files may show up.

(Yes JF3 is quite ancient but at this time I trust it as an official firmware for this test. I can do diffs between other versions on request.)

The relevant parts are (- means file removed, + means file added, comments added by me):

--- JF3.lst 2010-08-24 08:36:30.504413148 +0200

+++ JM6.lst 2010-08-24 08:36:58.483162980 +0200

+./etc/permissions/samsung.feature.octa.xml # PlayReady DRM

+./etc/permissions/android.software.live_wallpaper.xml # Live Wallpapers

+./app/SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor.apk

+./app/JobManager.apk

-./app/Samsung.apk

-./app/Fileindex.apk

+./lib/liblwfa-0.A.0-mng.so # Graphics related

-./lib/libsecgps.so # (GPS) Removed!!

-./lib/libmnglw-0.8.2.so # Graphics related

-./bin/rchkdsk # Removed, why?

+./bin/gpsd/ed62f4e3.0 # GPS stuff added

+./bin/gpsd/803ca020.0 # Ditto

+./bin/gpsd/8c7fccef.0 # Ditto

+./bin/gpsd/66ca3eb6.0 # Ditto

-./bin/fat.format # Removed, why?

From this it is quite obvious that there really are GPS changes between JF3 and JM6. Now let's test this out in the field...

Edited by DistortedLoop

About the radio file ehhh i live in holland and it's raining all day so when i had JM5 on it it rained all day also meaning my phone went from 3g/HSDPA to GPRS no matter where i was inside or outside.

So this morning it's also raining but i had better connection with jm6 wich is holding my phone allday on 3g/hsdpa same goes for gps (good connection).

So yes, in my field use the radio file is better but i DON'T KNOW wich version they put in jm6 so this is my personal note about the radio file.

Further more i'm not an idiot or something, i always think about stuff before posting them.

ON TOPIC :

Had the phone on all day 12 emails sent, called +/- 50 minutes, had twitter and gps on all day phone is still about 43% with battery so i think the battery life is better also.

When applied the lagfix i noticed that when downloading apps from the market the phone has the tendency to hang/stall.

Guest seraphine

Is it likely that anyone is going to make an image for JM1 (official) or something so we can all flash without using Kies?

Just finished a 2 hour adventure attempting to get the update via Kies...

Edited by seraphine

Guest Dan Mullen
Is it likely that anyone is going to make an image for JM1 (official) or something so we can all flash without using Kies?

Just finished a 2 hour adventure attempting to get the update via Kies...

I managed it today and have posted a few tips on getting it to work - don't wanna keep posting the same stuff, but have a look at posts #1 and #3 in this topic... :huh:

Guest DistortedLoop

For those hoping that JM6 will fix the GPS...

Forget it. Terrible, terrible, terrible. This morning the GPS initial lock was .75 miles from my location (I think it was actually where the closest cell tower is) and seems to be the place the SGS always shows me when the GPS first fires off.

As I drove to work, it took two minutes before it even started moving my vehicle location on the Google map.

As I drove, it showed me as many as 8 blocks away from where I was. After 8 minutes when I got on the freeway, it started to settle down, but pretty much showed me on the WRONG side of the freeway. LOL.

This is with modifications to the phone at all. Pure stock rom. No lag fix, no GPS settings tweak, nothing. On JM5 I was using the epic 4g GPS hack from xda. That seemed to work much better.

Guest DistortedLoop

Re: the speed of this ROM, not lag fixed. It feels a little slower than lag fixed phones do, but that makes sense. There is definitely occasional lag, but there was even on the one click lag method I'd been using.

Market downloads don't kill the phone, but the actual install of the downloaded app does freeze parts of the GUI (ie., window shade won't pull down).

Keyboard sometimes freezes in Voice. :-(

I'm feeling like I need to lag fix the phone, but want to tough it out a bit longer just to be sure. What a shame...

Guest DistortedLoop

So much random lag in this phone with JM6 that sometimes it feels unusable.

I haven't ran a phone without some sort of lag fix since mimocan came out with his, and I've only ran JG1, JM5 and now this JM6, so I don't have a huge experience for comparison to other stock ROMs.

Definitely going to lagfix today, just not sure which one I'll use.

Guest fozzieb
So much random lag in this phone with JM6 that sometimes it feels unusable.

I haven't ran a phone without some sort of lag fix since mimocan came out with his, and I've only ran JG1, JM5 and now this JM6, so I don't have a huge experience for comparison to other stock ROMs.

Definitely going to lagfix today, just not sure which one I'll use.

Let us know what one you go with and how it is

cheers