MCR r8 Archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest el_boufono
Great work. Thanks!

Could you please consider adding options for circular battery mod (or any efficient battery mod with %age) and color icon sets in r9 ?

EspressoMod from BrightSilence used to work in WIP copies, but on the final, it disables data for some reason. Not sure why. The semi-transparent notification area is a nice addition from this package, imho.

I also find my batter consumption is much higher on the final ROMs than the WIP ones I baked (I tried to keep to the same options as much as possible.)

Thanks again!

Yep! Like he said ! I'd love to have the semi-transparent notification and circle mod battery added in options to bake!

Guest Time Sheep

I wrote this under the Stock ROM believing it was this ROM.

Please add the stock music player to the kitchen, I hate the Sense one like the pest.

I would really update the ROM if people didn't report huge battery drain, I just got satisfied with 3 days of daily use :-/

EDIT:

Why would I not want to disable IPv6? I didn't think phones supported this anyway. In case it's just for WiFi, it's hereby disabled, as I have no IPv6 adress on the router XD

Edited by Time Sheep

Guest chipyy
I wrote this under the Stock ROM believing it was this ROM.

Please add the stock music player to the kitchen, I hate the Sense one like the pest.

I would really update the ROM if people didn't report huge battery drain, I just got satisfied with 3 days of daily use :-/

EDIT:

Why would I not want to disable IPv6? I didn't think phones supported this anyway. In case it's just for WiFi, it's hereby disabled, as I have no IPv6 adress on the router XD

How on earth are you getting 3 days?! I got 3 days at a festival when I turned off all data and had it in airplane mode a lot of the time and basically just used it as a camera. Anyways, I'm getting pretty good battery life on R8, which for me means I can get through the day without a charge, but then I guess I use it a lot.

Guest Time Sheep
How on earth are you getting 3 days?! I got 3 days at a festival when I turned off all data and had it in airplane mode a lot of the time and basically just used it as a camera. Anyways, I'm getting pretty good battery life on R8, which for me means I can get through the day without a charge, but then I guess I use it a lot.

I too was surprised when I one day thought, wtf, I haven't charged this thing for several days :huh:

I have WiFi on at all times and then sleep policy to go off a few minutes after I lock the phone. Automatic backlight. Data off. Ready to recieve calls and MMS. Changed to the standard wallpaper, just the non-live one. Synchronises once a day with Facebook, Twitter and Google.

I don't know either how I reached this battery life, but that is the reason I'm not gonna wipe till I know why ;) It's about 2.5 days as it is now ;-) 3 days was the peak.

Guest choccy
Great work. Thanks!

Could you please consider adding options for circular battery mod (or any efficient battery mod with %age) and color icon sets in r9 ?

EspressoMod from BrightSilence used to work in WIP copies, but on the final, it disables data for some reason. Not sure why. The semi-transparent notification area is a nice addition from this package, imho.

I also find my batter consumption is much higher on the final ROMs than the WIP ones I baked (I tried to keep to the same options as much as possible.)

Thanks again!

Yes, I would like to see this also added please Paul.

Also, can anyone advise the best way to swap sd cards? I got a new bigger card coming hopefully in the morning and I want to know how to get my A2SD etc over onto the new sd card.

Thanks

Guest Time Sheep

@Choccy

Make a ghost drive and copy the whole partition table, just remember to extend the FAT partition.

That's the ->BEST<- way, although I don't know of any simple way :huh:

Guest choccy
@Choccy

Make a ghost drive and copy the whole partition table, just remember to extend the FAT partition.

That's the ->BEST<- way, although I don't know of any simple way :huh:

Thanks for response,

How do I create a ghost file for this?

Cheers

Guest Time Sheep
Thanks for response,

How do I create a ghost file for this?

Cheers

I'm making a quick tutorial in a while :huh: Just have to run through the process to make sure i tell you the right way ;-)

EDIT: Here it is:

1. Download, Install and Run DiskImage as administrator.

2. Take a raw copy of your SD card like this:

ghost%20drive%201.PNG

Choose a location to save it, just save it on the desktop or something. This usually takes quite some time.

3. Unmount and shut down your phone, to switch the SD card with the new one

4. Import the data you just saved this way:

ghost%20drive%202.PNG

Now you are in theory done, but you might also want to make the rest of the card usable, so you will have to move and resize the partitions.

You can do this by following this guide. It is in danish although Google Translate makes it somehow understandable ;)

How to resize and move partitions

What you want to do in this program is, to choose the SD card, move your A2SD partition all the way to the right by dragging it, then extend the other partition to fill out the rest of the space. Then press apply and you're done.

Edited by Time Sheep

Guest choccy
I'm making a quick tutorial in a while :huh: Just have to run through the process to make sure i tell you the right way ;-)

EDIT: Here it is:

1. Download, Install and Run DiskImage as administrator.

2. Take a raw copy of your SD card like this:

ghost%20drive%201.PNG

Choose a location to save it, just save it on the desktop or something. This usually takes quite some time.

3. Unmount and shut down your phone, to switch the SD card with the new one

4. Import the data you just saved this way:

ghost%20drive%202.PNG

Now you are in theory done, but you might also want to make the rest of the card usable, so you will have to move and resize the partitions.

You can do this by following this guide. It is in danish although Google Translate makes it somehow understandable ;)

How to resize and move partitions

What you want to do in this program is, to choose the SD card, move your A2SD partition all the way to the right by dragging it, then extend the other partition to fill out the rest of the space. Then press apply and you're done.

Thanks for the guides, will look into when the card arrives :-)

Guest Blimundus

I am still on a kitchen r7, but I will be switching to an r8 or a future version in the next weeks.

Two questions:

- is there an option to permanently disable the LEDs behind the physical keys? I am currently using a programme called 'LEDs Hack' but I would prefer just to permanently disable them.

- is the 'reflow' option available in the PDF viewer? I don't see it. Not sure whether it is because of the PDFs or the rom though.

Thanks!

Guest road2002
@Paul: Thanks for a great ROM! I however have some questions about the cachedalvikcache I hope you can help clear up.

Earlier in the r8 WIP thread you stated that you would not odex the final ROM, because among other things:

"- With my cachedalvikcache solution (which is in all bakes) it saves no space on data."

Looking at "/data/dalvik-cache" only the "system@framework*" .dex files seem to be symlinked to "/cache/dalvik-cache". The remaining "system@app*" .dex files are not symlinked, and in my case takes up about 35Mb of space. Indeed the "/cache" partition only has 17Mb of space left, so it's not possible to move all the remaining "system@app*" files.

I tried moving as many files as I could to "/cache", which seemed to work fine, but then I realized I couldn't boot into recovery because ROM Manager uses that partition too. However the "/system" partition had 75Mb of free speace, so instead i opted to try moving the "system@app*" .dex files to "/system/dalvik-cache", and then symlink them to "/data/dalvik-cache". This seems to be working just great at the moment and freed up about 35Mb of space on my "/data" partition :huh:. Of course I don't know if there any hidden pitfalls with this solution yet(?)...

Anyway, this experiment leads me to believe that an odexed ROM actually would save about 35Mb on the "/data" partition compared with your cachedalvikcache solution (as it is implemented now). Or am I missing something here?

(The ROM I am referencing is r8 prebaked with MoDaCo default additions)

Finally, I use Klutsh's script to odex the apps in system partition and freed 40 Mb of data partition.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...;highlight=odex

Thanks to Paul & Klutsh for the amazing rom and script.

@paul, any chance to add Chinese locale & apn in r9?

Guest halfords45

hi all, i am using a home bake from the kitchen and included maps but every time i switch off i lose maps and have to re install can anyone tell me what i have done wrong. i did a non wipe update from R5.

Guest Marand
Hmm yeah this ROM, while mostly pretty sweet, is causing me some headaches.

The two major problems being:

a - quite severe battery drain (although this seems a bit erratic) and

b - Market issues, as in updates and downloads not working well at all. Most of the time if I try to update an app it will either be unsuccessful or just hang at 100% download but not install. Reboot is the only way to get around it.

:huh:

I have the same issue with the Market downloads.

I did not have it with any of the versions of this ROM prior to it going final, I updated with a wipe but its the same. If I disable the internet connection and re-enable it sometimes it works, other times it works when I cancel the download and try to re-install.

Battery is fine for me not draining abnormally.

Guest kasper22

I see no batterydrain on r8 , as i got 5 days on a charge with the prev. radio(with little use)

And now after flashing the new 5.09.05 radio it seems even better .. I have now 95% battery left after 17,5 hours

I have the same issue with the Market downloads.

I did not have it with any of the versions of this ROM prior to it going final, I updated with a wipe but its the same. If I disable the internet connection and re-enable it sometimes it works, other times it works when I cancel the download and try to re-install.

Battery is fine for me not draining abnormally.

My Market isn't working at all today. My usual trick of logging in/out of Talk doesn't work either. Could there be a problem with the Market in general or is there some other problem with this rom?

Guest Shiva Ramabadran
I see no batterydrain on r8 , as i got 5 days on a charge with the prev. radio(with little use)

And now after flashing the new 5.09.05 radio it seems even better .. I have now 95% battery left after 17,5 hours

I have found that on wifi, battery is phenomenal. 72% left after 12+ hours of use, with very little use.

But the phone was in a wifi zone all day.

When on the GSM network, and active use (no calls, just apps), I'm lucky if I get 3 hours!

The Market problems are definitely not limited to this ROM.

I've now tried OpenDesire and Defrost roms and I have similar issues with them as well. I see users complaining about this in pretty much every ROM thread on xda.

WTF is going on, Google!?

Guest Matt Ots

I'm considering updating from r5 to r8 but have a question about A2SD. I baked in A2SD+ with r5 but having been running it for a couple of months now I've noticed that my internal storage is getting very low, which as I understand it shouldn't be happening if A2SD+ is working properly. Quick System Info shows that I've used 170MB of the available 458MB A2SD storage, but there is only 26.48MB Internal storage free out of a 148MB total.

Am I right in thinking that the internal storage shouldn't have gone down if I'm using A2SD+? If so, why might it not be working? And if I update to r8 and select A2SD+ how can I get it working properly?

Guest ssteph2001

I try this rom.It was the firt time i do this.everything goes well exept that i can not connect on the hspa or 3G annymore.I only have wifi.Im with telus.Can someone help me .

yeah, ok!

But browsing and searching in market works very well.

It downloads without any problems, but almost all fails to install...

So market corrups the files? Not a ROM issue?