MCR r8 Archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Fred de Goede
the android out of a box means the radio is being installed. the first boot usually takes much longer so just be patient

Yes I did wait and the phone rebooted after a long time. But the reboot fails and the only thing I see is blinking android tekst. The phone does not respond to any key anymore. I removed the battery but the same result.

Yes I did wait and the phone rebooted after a long time. But the reboot fails and the only thing I see is blinking android tekst. The phone does not respond to any key anymore. I removed the battery but the same result.

sometimes it helps reflashing the same rom. or you can try to wipe.

Guest zombiefly
The file was too large to save in the post, have now shared on rapidshare, above post edited for you :-)

can you post the link here also please?

Guest David_P
Not sure if this is David_P or not but I used this (white text, version D) and it works great:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=724778

That is what mine is based on, but I added a load of coloured icons for the notifications bar as well, things like prettier wi-fi and bluetooth and GPS icons as well as APN info items in colour as well :-)

David P

Guest meilechl

I updated ROMs every few days since R5 and have always had good results both in usability and in battery life. However since I flashed the latest R8 I have three problems:

1. I keep losing signal. it doesn't say 'emergency calls only' but the bars are all dark. Only when I use the network 1(calls or data) does the signal return.

2. The battery life is suddenly terrible.

3. Minor, but annoying nonetheless, when I type it doesn't automatically capitalise the first word after a full stop.

I have a suspicion that it's the new radio which caused all this. Is there any way to roll back to the one before?

Edited by meilechl

Guest bbawden

Has anyone else had issues with Gmail sync? Mails sometimes take hours to be pushed to my phone - sometimes I have to manually force a sync. Other times it seems OK.

Any tips?

Guest logicalextreme
That is what mine is based on, but I added a load of coloured icons for the notifications bar as well, things like prettier wi-fi and bluetooth and GPS icons as well as APN info items in colour as well :-)

David P

Ooh, nice stuff, I'll definitely be checking that out. I installed ExpressoBar, and then EspressoMod, which gave me a pretty horrible notification bar with daft (and too many) icons, and then the DW Super Circle Battery, which removed most of the EspressoMod (including the notification bar) but left the power control in a nice shiny/transparent state.

Do you have screenshots?

Guest RevoWution
Not this again!

Yeah, it's this again. If you don't like what I've posted, just ignore it.

Something that may bother you might not bother me, and vice versa mate... :|

Guest Fred de Goede
I have always seen the Android coming out of the Box whenever I flashed using Clockwork Recovery. I assumed it has been a part of the flashing process from the start; perhaps not.

In any case, with R8, the phone does get stuck for quite some time at the "Android coming out of the box" stage. You will need to be patient and wait. Also, after flashing the R8, the first boot takes a very very long time. Again, waiting is the answer.

Why don't you try again?

Regards,

Kiran

Kiran,

I tried again but I lost all contact with the phone. Can you advise how to get in touch again with the phone to do a reflash?

Fred

I found some weird behavior of the prebake with additional and A2SD+.

call mom will cause sense restart immediately.

I can not install Mod Install Location to setup the native APP2SD of Froyo.

I also failed to setup that with adb shell pm setInstallLocation 1.

I can not install Google Sky Maps, it said installation failed.

I found that if some sofeware want to go to SD FAT32 partition it will cause the installation to fail.

what's wrong with it?

Why would you want to flash an A2SD+ ROM then try to use Froyo APPS2SD? Just create an EXT partition, forget about ModInstallLocation, and let A2SD+ do its thing.

Trying to use A2SD+ and Froyo APPS2SD together causes the problems you are having.

Kiran,

I tried again but I lost all contact with the phone. Can you advise how to get in touch again with the phone to do a reflash?

Fred

i assume you stille have clockworkmod. just boot into recovery and select update.zip which will bring you to the clockworkmod recovery.

Guest logicalextreme
i assume you stille have clockworkmod. just boot into recovery and select update.zip which will bring you to the clockworkmod recovery.

I find I can only boot into clockworkmod if I can switch the phone on. Vol-down and power still gives me the default HBOOT 0.80 selector (which works for me if I need recovery). Or is clockworkmod assigned to a different button?

I find I can only boot into clockworkmod if I can switch the phone on. Vol-down and power still gives me the default HBOOT 0.80 selector (which works for me if I need recovery). Or is clockworkmod assigned to a different button?

boot while holding back button. select bootloader. wait a sec then select recovery. inside recovery select flash update.zip, which is the clockworkmod.

Guest aritmeester
By any chance this Sense based Froyo ROM would be getting the Power Control Widget like what's in CM6? It supports:

1) Brightness

2) Wifi

3) AP

4) Bluetooth

5) Mobile Data

6) Data Sync

7) Orientation

8) Silent/Vibrate/Ring

9) GPS

10) 2G/3G

11) etc ...

This is one of the main reason I remain on CM6 ;-)

You should use Extended Controls Widget. I really like this widget.

Guest David_P
Ooh, nice stuff, I'll definitely be checking that out. I installed ExpressoBar, and then EspressoMod, which gave me a pretty horrible notification bar with daft (and too many) icons, and then the DW Super Circle Battery, which removed most of the EspressoMod (including the notification bar) but left the power control in a nice shiny/transparent state.

Do you have screenshots?

I can't get all the icons on screen at once, for instance the APN data flow icons aren't on when in wifi mode, but here's a brief look:

post-695212-1282735428_thumb.png

post-695212-1282735668_thumb.png

Edited by David_P

Guest sleaztek

ok after a few bakes....and 20 houres of ripping the s*** out of my phone with roling back and fowred with the roms....works great...nothing weard....

thanks again pual.

Guest chipyy
Hi Paul,

By any chance this Sense based Froyo ROM would be getting the Power Control Widget like what's in CM6? It supports:

1) Brightness

2) Wifi

3) AP

4) Bluetooth

5) Mobile Data

6) Data Sync

7) Orientation

8) Silent/Vibrate/Ring

9) GPS

10) 2G/3G

11) etc ...

This is one of the main reason I remain on CM6 ;-)

Just install Power Control Plus from the Market. It's cheap, awesome, and you can set it up however you like.

Everyone complaining about the battery drop "issue". It's NOT an issue, it's just the way charging works. You see, Lithium-Ion batteries don't like being trickle-charged when they are full the way you would an old Ni-Mh battery. It causes heat and battery damage over time, shortening it's life.

So, the preferred way of charging a Li-Ion is to charge to 100% and then stop charging, applying a top-up charge if the battery drains a certain amount. In the case of the Desire this figure is around 90%. This is when the charging kicks back in. So, say you put your phone on to charge and go to sleep, 2 hours later it's finished charging. By the morning it's run down to, say 91-95% charge so that won't have kicked the charger back in yet. Then, you remove your phone, and it seems to "drop" instantly to the low nineties. In reality that's where it was all along. It's just the Desire adopting a sensible charge routine to preserve your long-term battery life. Personally I think it should kick back in at 95% instead of 90 but there you go.

Guest Fred de Goede
boot while holding back button. select bootloader. wait a sec then select recovery. inside recovery select flash update.zip, which is the clockworkmod.

When I do this I end up with a red triangle. I do not see update.zip from

clockworkmod

Guest EddyOS
It appears the "embarrassed" emoticon issue has been fixed everywhere else except when inserting smileys in the Google Talk app :huh: Every other app seems to have normal, unsquished "embarrassed" smileys ;)

Don't use that smiley then (or any as they're a bit crap)??

That'll have to be a fix for r9 I'd imagine as this is finished and released...

Guest logicalextreme
I can't get all the icons on screen at once, for instance the APN data flow icons aren't on when in wifi mode, but here's a brief look:

Wow! Very nice indeed. I use JuiceDefender so data switches over to Wifi, so I'm not bothered. The full EspressoMod cluttered the bar up, because it would display the vibrate icon at the same time as the silent icon, and other such stuff. Thanks a lot! I'll give it a go at lunch.

Guest Kiran J. Holla
When I do this I end up with a red triangle. I do not see update.zip from

clockworkmod

Here are the steps for you:

1. Make sure you have the ROM zip file on your SD Card in some folder other than root

2. Also make sure that you have clockwork mod recovery installed on the SD Card - this consists of the update.zip in your SD Card root + clockworkmod folder containing the recovery-update.zip and other stuff

3. Switch off the device

4. Switch on the device with the back button held

5. You should now see a screen saying FASTBOOT

6. Press the power button - this will take you to a screen saying HBOOT

7. Using the Volume Down button (this may take a few seconds since sometimes a few green lines scroll through the screen before this gets enabled) navigate to the Recovery Option

8. Now your phone should reboot and go to Recovery (Red Triangle)

9. Hold the Volume Up button and while holding down the Volume Up press the Power button. That should get you to a blue console

10. Choose Apply update.zip from SD Card. This will bring up a Green console (the ClockworkMod recovery)

11. Here, you can choose Install zip from SD Card

12. Select Select Zip from SD Card - select the ROM zip file from the SD Card

13. Select Yes - this should start flashing the ROM once more

Best of Luck.

Regards,

Kiran