T-Mobile UK announcement regarding removal of 2.1 for the Pulse

Guest Simon O

Guest DanWilson
That is very likely. By October most devices will be on Froyo.

Dan: In a nutshell the vendor configuration allows you to use the Android build system to produce a working system for our phones. What hardware support we need, capabilities of the device etc.

Ah cool. Can we make our own? (I read that somewhere)

No.

Please? :huh:

Guest Simon O

It would be easier to do one for Eclair. I might have a go at making one but it will be a very steep learning curve for me. Much easier to get it from Huawei :huh:

Guest DanWilson
No.

Pretty please with CHEESE and CHERRIES and BURNT PANCAKES on top?

@Flib - Good luck if you have a go! Would this mean FroYo in seconds? Or would kernel source still be needed?

Edited by DanWilson

Guest petz20099

Hello,

Are we sure that we need just the kernel config?

I think there is the possibility they put into the kernel sone closed source code for firmware as kernel patches and producing some binaries directly into the kernel.

Just a though.

Petz

Guest Azurren

Actually I have found that rebooting the phone everyday (If you don't turn it off overnight) dramatically increases free ram!

I use google talk a lot and it never gets closed if I do this every day.

If I don't reboot everyday it gets closed everytime I open any app.

(Perhaps you should add that to how to avoid missing SmS's Fibble :huh:)

Guest Daz555
If I don't reboot everyday it gets closed everytime I open any app.

App to reboot the phone on a schedule might be handy - say every night at 3am or whatever.

Guest gusthy
Hello,

Are we sure that we need just the kernel config?

I think there is the possibility they put into the kernel sone closed source code for firmware as kernel patches and producing some binaries directly into the kernel.

Just a though.

Petz

No, it is illegal in GPL.

Guest richardlai
Passed on that additional info and I'd love for him to send us a boatload of HTC Desires, but I think that might be pushing it.

:huh:

We'd be lucky enough to even keep a review unit for more than 4 days, let alone getting a boatload.

Guest DanWilson
Rather than waste time trying to fix the SMS bug they should use their resources to work on getting 2.2 to the Pulse.

Umm. No? If the SMS bug isn't fixed by T-Mobile/Huawei, when 2.2 is ported (officialy) it'll still have the SMS bug. And, it'd be easier to make a minor fix rather than make a whole new kernel and OS for the phone.

Guest meinnit
Umm. No? If the SMS bug isn't fixed by T-Mobile/Huawei, when 2.2 is ported (officialy) it'll still have the SMS bug. And, it'd be easier to make a minor fix rather than make a whole new kernel and OS for the phone.

All evidence suggests that the bug is related to low memory which is apparently addressed in 2.2

Guest DanWilson
All evidence suggests that the bug is related to low memory which is apparently addressed in 2.2

But even still, a fix for 2.1 would be nice... ;)

But what if they use the old kernel (lazy...) and we don't get any of 2.2s awesome memory handling. And still no source... :huh:

Very strange that they (Huawei) can't get 2.1 working on the Pulse which has 192MB of ram, while I have a Vodafone 845 (similar to the t-mobile pulse mini, but with half the ram) which is a Huawei device with only 128MB of ram, I thought a similar chipset, and that runs 2.1 beautifully.

Very odd story this is..

Guest Simon O
flibblesan, may I ask how do you know for sure that Huawei's given the green light to release the source code?

Hi Richard,

They were asked about it on the Chinese Huawei support forum and they told us. http://www.huaweidevice.com/community/thre...&orderStr=9

BigBearMDC has been pestering them about this for some time now.

T-Mobile UK did say this to me: "Hi there, we're working on making the Pulse source available, we'll tweet once its ready. thanks ;-)"

Edited by flibblesan

Guest flip360
Very strange that they (Huawei) can't get 2.1 working on the Pulse which has 192MB of ram, while I have a Vodafone 845 (similar to the t-mobile pulse mini, but with half the ram) which is a Huawei device with only 128MB of ram, I thought a similar chipset, and that runs 2.1 beautifully.

Very odd story this is..

i want to know more. 128 MB RAM...? Our pulses should fly with 192MB :huh:

Guest Totyasrác
i want to know more. 128 MB RAM...? Our pulses should fly with 192MB :huh:

It's not really 192 though :(

What we can use as RAM is only 128MBs (just check the nandroid folder ;))

Guest petz20099
wait where do the other MB`s go?

if we dont count the system in those 128MB then we have enough memory for 2.1, or?

The strange is that in config.gz the line called CONFIG_CMDLINE has the flag mem=88M . I think it should be mem=128 or mem=192.

what do you think about it, guys?

Petz

Guest richardlai
Hi Richard,

They were asked about it on the Chinese Huawei support forum and they told us. http://www.huaweidevice.com/community/thre...&orderStr=9

BigBearMDC has been pestering them about this for some time now.

T-Mobile UK did say this to me: "Hi there, we're working on making the Pulse source available, we'll tweet once its ready. thanks ;-)"

And I guess you guys aren't having much luck with T-Mo Hungary, either? I saw BigBearMDC's earlier thread.

Guest BigBearMDC
And I guess you guys aren't having much luck with T-Mo Hungary, either? I saw BigBearMDC's earlier thread.

The problem is that Huawei says the responsibility lays with T-Mobile, and T-Mobile says they need a go from Huawei, which they clearly have.

Firing off e-mails to Huawei or T-Mobile wouldn't help much either I guess. We would just annoy them. But I think we have better chances asking Huawei than T-Mobile. They are pretty cooperative, if you are polite (especially on the Chinese forum) :huh:

You don't get any replys on the English forum though. I'll ask once more in the Chinese forum.

Best regards,

BB

The problem is that Huawei says the responsibility lays with T-Mobile, and T-Mobile says they need a go from Huawei, which they clearly have.

Firing off e-mails to Huawei or T-Mobile wouldn't help much either I guess. We would just annoy them. But I think we have better chances asking Huawei than T-Mobile. They are pretty cooperative, if you are polite (especially on the Chinese forum) :huh:

You don't get any replys on the English forum though. I'll ask once more in the Chinese forum.

Best regards,

BB

Huawei have released software for vendors other than t-mobile and they have released the binaries directly for those other vendors which means they need to release the source too. They seem to be struggling because they have upgraded their forum software (QMR source was made available on the old forum) and the new forum has a limit on the size of attachments.

Guest BigBearMDC
Huawei have released software for vendors other than t-mobile and they have released the binaries directly for those other vendors which means they need to release the source too. They seem to be struggling because they have upgraded their forum software (QMR source was made available on the old forum) and the new forum has a limit on the size of attachments.

I dunno. Everytime I asked they told me to ask T-Mobile. But you're right, they should have to release it though.

Hell they could just upload the file to their server and paste the link, that shouldn't be a problem at all!

Best regards,

BB