Current recommended settings for Better Battery Usage?

Guest brbbX

Hi all

I've been using the modaco roms for some time now, and I'm a little confused about the best settings for battery life.. Right now, I'm getting around 15 hours of moderate usage before it runs out.

I've elaborated some questions, I hope somebody could answer them to me:

1- I'm using JuiceDefender to enable the 3G connection only once every 15 minutes.. Does this help? Is everybody using that?

2- Since the last updates, I've chose in the kitchen the wifi "never sleep" option, with wi fi "n" disabled.. This way, my wifi is always on. Should I keep it this way, or should I only keep it on when I'm in some place with a known wifi spot?

3- I have SetCPU installed, but haven't really found a use for it.. Would it help improving my battery? How should I do it? Just set my phone to never be able to reach the top speed (Since you can't lower the clock over the default)?

4- How do you guys check what apps are draining the battery? In Spare Parts, it gives like 100% for "other usage" for wifi, for example, but it doesn't specify how much of the battery does that actually represent.. In the HTC settings, it gives a better estimate, but doesn't really tell which app is using the battery..

5- I noticed that playing Robo Defense drains the battery in a VERY VERY fast pace.. Is there any way to make it use less of it?

6- Any other ideas for improving my phone's battery?

Thank you!

Guest masterpfa
Hi all

I've been using the modaco roms for some time now, and I'm a little confused about the best settings for battery life.. Right now, I'm getting around 15 hours of moderate usage before it runs out.

I've elaborated some questions, I hope somebody could answer them to me:

1- I'm using JuiceDefender to enable the 3G connection only once every 15 minutes.. Does this help? Is everybody using that?

2- Since the last updates, I've chose in the kitchen the wifi "never sleep" option, with wi fi "n" disabled.. This way, my wifi is always on. Should I keep it this way, or should I only keep it on when I'm in some place with a known wifi spot?

3- I have SetCPU installed, but haven't really found a use for it.. Would it help improving my battery? How should I do it? Just set my phone to never be able to reach the top speed (Since you can't lower the clock over the default)?

4- How do you guys check what apps are draining the battery? In Spare Parts, it gives like 100% for "other usage" for wifi, for example, but it doesn't specify how much of the battery does that actually represent.. In the HTC settings, it gives a better estimate, but doesn't really tell which app is using the battery..

5- I noticed that playing Robo Defense drains the battery in a VERY VERY fast pace.. Is there any way to make it use less of it?

6- Any other ideas for improving my phone's battery?

Thank you!

Basically speaking the fewer things that are on, the less your battery will be drained.

1. Juice defender should help, instead of having Data on 24/7 it is only on for a fraction of the usual time

2. Wi-Fi "never sleeps" would mean Wi-Fi is on constantly choose "Off when screen is off" options, chances are you do not need wi-fi if your screen is off

3. Most recommended usage for setCPU is to reduce CPU speed when phone is sleeping. Search setCPU in the forums for further recommendations

4. Spare parts just gives a visual indication of what is using the most of your battery resources

5. I do not know with that one....

6. Check out the forums for improving battery life.

Usually it's along the lines of

Lower your screen brightness

Extend the time between sync for apps such as Twitter FaceBook etc

Reduce the number of widgets on your screen...etc

Basically speaking the fewer things that are on, the less your battery will be drained.

1. Juice defender should help, instead of having Data on 24/7 it is only on for a fraction of the usual time

2. Wi-Fi "never sleeps" would mean Wi-Fi is on constantly choose "Off when screen is off" options, chances are you do not need wi-fi if your screen is off

3. Most recommended usage for setCPU is to reduce CPU speed when phone is sleeping. Search setCPU in the forums for further recommendations

4. Spare parts just gives a visual indication of what is using the most of your battery resources

5. I do not know with that one....

6. Check out the forums for improving battery life.

Usually it's along the lines of

Lower your screen brightness

Extend the time between sync for apps such as Twitter FaceBook etc

Reduce the number of widgets on your screen...etc

2- yes, that's what I thought, but then Paul commented something that maybe leaving it on could spare the battery?

Guest Elbereth

I confirm about Robo Defense, I can play like 1h30 maximum with full battery. Reducing the CPU speed with SetCPU provides some more time but the games slows down a bit (in higher levels there can be thousands of sprites on screen). Because the game makes extensive use of the touchscreen this is also draining the battery quickly I think.

I can only recommend you configure SetCPU to diminish the CPU max speed when in idle (384Mhz max here).

I also use SetCPU to set lower & lower max CPU when the battery drains:

Battery < 50% --> 768Mhz

Battery < 20% --> 499Mhz

This seems to helps a bit. :huh: