Nandroid Backup Hangs at "Backing up data"

Guest peekofai

Guest peekofai

I've been attempting to make a nandroid backup for my Streak 2.1 since yesterday and it usually hangs on the "Back up data..." line.

The ClockworkMod Recovery version is 2.5.0.1

Earlier today, it did seem to actually finish backing up data (not sure what I did differently there but then threw and error after that on a line saying:

"Backing up datadata..." saying it couldny find something. I didnt make a note of the exact error but that time, it did return to the nandroid screen and didnt hang.

I'm googling around for this but cant find anyone that has that problem specifically as I do.

If it helps, the line "E:Cant find MISC:" appears three times before nandroid reports the SD card free space (6548MB) and backs up the boot, recovery and system images.

Those appear to be fine

Guest peekofai

UPDATE:

I managed to get the actuall erro for when it does finish backing up "data"

It seems to finish backing up data (i does it very quickly so not sure it's worked) then tries to back up "datadata"

That's when it throws the following error lines:

Cant mount /datadata/!

E:Cant find MISC:

It then return ClockwordMod Recovery main screen [At least it's not hanging!]

That last line is in addition to the 3 that come up at the beginning.

Also, I've managed to replicate the specific scenario that allows me to get this far instead of hanging:

Only if i shutdown the device from within the OS.

Just yanking the battery seems to result in a hang.

Any help will be greately appreciated

Guest peekofai

Since I'm not getting any replies to previous question I'll try some others:

1) Is there any harm in trying the latest version of ClockworkMod recovery? One that is not compiled specifically for the streak?

Or any risk in flashing an older version of it to try to do a backup of the system?

2) This one is for Paul or anyone that can help here: The CWM recovery image in your 2.1 pinned post is version 2.5.0.1 (3,358,720 bytes) but the version from Koush's recovery website is 2.5.0.1 (3,100,672 bytes)

3.20 MB vs 2.95 MB.

Are you making any modifications to the recovery to result in the file size change? If so what exactly are the changes?

If I wanted to look at the source of the recovery image to see why it's trying to back up /datadata/, what would be my first step?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest T_r_i_s
If it helps, the line "E:Cant find MISC:" appears three times before nandroid reports the SD card free space (6548MB) and backs up the boot, recovery and system images.

Those appear to be fine

This is happening exactly the same for me too :P

Would like to take a Nandroid backup also..

the problem seems to be a syntax one.. should be looking for /data/data not /datadata

i guess there's two choices,

get koush to redo it

create a symlink from /datadata to /data/data before nandroid... dunno if that would work, but its late on a friday night and seems to make sense after 4 bottles of postmans knock :P

Guest peekofai

Glad to see not only one with this problem. Maybe now we'll get a fix.

How do we go about contacting koush about this anyway?

I'm not flashing the new rom till I can do a nandroid backup.

Mainly because titanium back up throws multiple errors when I use it to restore certain apps.

How will symlink work when I try to restore?

Guest peekofai

had a look at the source. wouldnt know what to change to get it working.

what's worse is that it's the datadata "partition" -- which i've found out from looking at the source is the real data partition -- which is causing problems so i cant just wipe it and start afresh cos i'd lose all my settings.

has anyone succefully used the recovery to create a backup on 2.1?

has anyone succefully used the recovery to create a backup on 2.1?

On build 7546 yes running 2.1 (worked once second time froze on data) not used the back up though, on build 81** I've not tried, not had any reason to my streak updated fine and still have no problems at all with it.

Guest peekofai

tried the symlink... didnt work.

looks like koush's recovery is only calling it datadata but not actually trying to mount it as so.

Unfortunately he's not responding to tweets about this so looks like we're on our own until something us triggers his interest in updating this.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest madmax85812

can nebody pls post up a nandroid backup for a 2.1 ROM. i am currently on 4399. jst cant get to flash any .pkg files or even pauls r1 through clockwork. acn only flash .img files from nandroid backups. so i need boot, recovery, system, cache and data .img files from nandroid backup. can nebody pls help. thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issues as mentioned above.

I have tried three versions of the 2.5.0.1 recovery.img and none of them let me do a proper nandroid backup.

The one from Koush's website doesn't install at all, filesize is 3.100.672 bytes

And I have two other ones, filesize 3.106.816 bytes and filesize 3.358.720 bytes, both do install but Nandroid isn't working.

Guest spences10

Okays, I have flashed 2.2 with the new radio before I did this I managed to create a userdata.img file by following the instruction on this wiki:

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl...ack_Boot_Images

I followed the commands and created the file no problem so if I dop want to go back to 2.1 I can, I dont know if it works however because I restored all my data and apps with MyBackup Pro which did the job nicely.

Form this wiki you can also create your system and boot .img files so no real need for the nandroid part of the recovery, I have tested non of this btw so attempt it at your own risk.

I'm sure once porting of CM has been mastered and there are reliable ROMs being produced the recovery will be next in line.

Guest T_r_i_s
Cool nice link! :)

Gonna try this later...

Backed up my /data and userdata partitions successfully via adb so in theory with the 3 working nandroid parts (boot/system/recovery) I should have a complete backup of the device.

Does anyone know if it's possible to reverse engineer Koush's img? I have extracted the kernel/ramdisk from it as per instructions from Spences10 but the main part is just a single compiled file called 'recovery' which is created as per:

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?titl..._recovery_image

Is there any way to uncompile this recovery file? I want to see the nandroid scripts etc that are being called..

Edited by T_r_i_s

Guest T_r_i_s
careful... the data structure on the streak is different... hence the nandroid backup issue in in the first place. dont assume it will restore

Yeah Koush says this on github:

+# The Streak actually has a "firstboot", which is the userdata mtd partition

+# and then the "data" mount is actually on the internal storage.

+# This is rather wierd. But let's treat the "data" mount as datadata

+# and treat "firstboot" as data. Since that is how it is named... though not

+# how it is used.

+BOARD_HAS_DATADATA := true

+BOARD_DATADATA_DEVICE := /dev/block/innersd0p6

+BOARD_DATADATA_FILESYSTEM := ext3

+BOARD_CACHE_DEVICE := /dev/block/innersd0p5

+BOARD_CACHE_FILESYSTEM := ext3

I want to see what nandroid is looking at - maybe the variables are defined incorrectly or something quite simple and easy to fix :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fone_Fanatic

so is there no proper way to do a nandroid backup on 2.1?

I was able to do it when i got my first streak on 1.6 using an older version of clockworkrecovery (think it was 1.8.1.7) I made a nandroid backup and everything worked with the md5.

Now its hanging on data. I tried out stephen hyde's first 2.2 build and couldn't restore from my nandroid cuz it couldn't find the md5. Wanna try out 2.2 v1 but not without a backup of how my streak is now cuz it was a pain to get it back to how i like it (and its still not to how it was before :P )

Edited by Fone_Fanatic

• 1 month later...
Guest PipoXtreme

Hi Guys

How is it possible to delete some backups which are on my streak..

I`ve 3 Backups but need just one b-up of nandroid ! Can somebody please give me this helpful information ?!