Anyone heard of "Hardlock" on Android Phones?

Guest marian_14_jul

Guest marian_14_jul

Hello friends,

Recently I bought a HTC hero locked to 3 UK in white color from ebay. I then bought an unlocking code for it from ebay again as the phone is for my friend in India.

I had a few problems with the unlocking seller and I left him a negative feedback last night. He has now replied threatening me that I have 24 hrs to remove the feedback or he will, and I quote, "HARDLOCK" my phone forever. The phone will become unusable completely according to him.

Now I work for Orange UK customer services myself and I do understand "BLACKLISTING" and would like to confirm from you guys that if this is what he is threatening me with or there is another way to "HARDLOCK" Android phones which make them unusable. Obviously he has my IMEI no. which I had to give him to generate the unlocking code.

The seller is also a registered USA seller and that makes me think that if there is something else called "HARDLOCK" as not sure how will he manage to blacklist my phone from USA. And if it is the blacklisting he is on about then I suppose I don't have anything to worry as the phone is going to be used in India anyway.

I have reported the emails under harrasment to ebay already and will be reporting it to police as well.

Please someone shed some light on this and thanks in advance :-)

Guest DanWilson
Hello friends,

Recently I bought a HTC hero locked to 3 UK in white color from ebay. I then bought an unlocking code for it from ebay again as the phone is for my friend in India.

I had a few problems with the unlocking seller and I left him a negative feedback last night. He has now replied threatening me that I have 24 hrs to remove the feedback or he will, and I quote, "HARDLOCK" my phone forever. The phone will become unusable completely according to him.

Now I work for Orange UK customer services myself and I do understand "BLACKLISTING" and would like to confirm from you guys that if this is what he is threatening me with or there is another way to "HARDLOCK" Android phones which make them unusable. Obviously he has my IMEI no. which I had to give him to generate the unlocking code.

The seller is also a registered USA seller and that makes me think that if there is something else called "HARDLOCK" as not sure how will he manage to blacklist my phone from USA. And if it is the blacklisting he is on about then I suppose I don't have anything to worry as the phone is going to be used in India anyway.

I have reported the emails under harrasment to ebay already and will be reporting it to police as well.

Please someone shed some light on this and thanks in advance :-)

Well if blacklisting only works in America (or where ever you meant), wouldn't it be useless? I thought blacklisting was either they lock the phone (somehow) or they tell all the other operators to block the IMEI. Even if he's in America it would work, if you lost your phone in America, wouldn't you want it locked? Or is it only the sim that can be locked? But I think he's talking crap. And anyway, if he's so desperate to keep his feedback up, why not stop threatening people and help them. Fool.

Keep me up to date :huh:

Guest marian_14_jul
Well if blacklisting only works in America (or where ever you meant), wouldn't it be useless? I thought blacklisting was either they lock the phone (somehow) or they tell all the other operators to block the IMEI. Even if he's in America it would work, if you lost your phone in America, wouldn't you want it locked? Or is it only the sim that can be locked? But I think he's talking crap. And anyway, if he's so desperate to keep his feedback up, why not stop threatening people and help them. Fool.

Keep me up to date :huh:

Thanks for the reply,

yeah blacklisting will be country specific so unless he works for Google or has access to their system for some kind of remote block with the signed google a/c on the handset (not sure if that is actually possible in the first place or not tbh), I am not sure how is that even possible really.

Guest BigBearMDC
Thanks for the reply,

yeah blacklisting will be country specific so unless he works for Google or has access to their system for some kind of remote block with the signed google a/c on the handset (not sure if that is actually possible in the first place or not tbh), I am not sure how is that even possible really.

Basically, everything that does not break any physical rules is possible.

He could block this device, get details of your phone too and block it, track you via the SIM card number (no, not the telephone number :huh: ) etc ...

IMHO he's just trying to threaten you. I'm pretty sure he won't do anything other than shut up.

Best regards,

BB