Phoenix-Kernel 2.6.32 Development

Guest SimonNgou

Guest SimonNgou

Dear All

I build the Kernel successfully, but after I flashed the rom to my pulse, it hanged at the screen showing Huawi Logo

Any way I can make it show the message at pulse console so that I can know where the error come from ?

Regards

Simon

Guest BigBearMDC
Dear All

I build the Kernel successfully, but after I flashed the rom to my pulse, it hanged at the screen showing Huawi Logo

Any way I can make it show the message at pulse console so that I can know where the error come from ?

Regards

Simon

The Phoenix-kernel is currently in development and not working yet, sorry.

Best regards,

BB

Guest SimonNgou
The Phoenix-kernel is currently in development and not working yet, sorry.

Best regards,

BB

I understand that the Kernel is under developmenet, I want to study how to build the kernel and put it in my pulse,

But I fail to do it becoz it hang at Huawei Logo, I want to find the problem and try to solve it,

As there are no debug text at pulse startup console, so I don't know how to solve it..

Edited by SimonNgou

Guest BigBearMDC
I understand that the Kernel is under developmenet, I want to study how to build the kernel and put it in my pulse,

But I fail to do it becoz it hang at Huawei Logo, I want to find the problem and try to solve it,

As there are no debug text at pulse startup console, so I don't know how to solve it..

Yap exactly that's the problem.

The kernel freezes at the T-Mobile (or Huawei) logo.

That's what its expected to do.

Basically the kernel doesn't work at all.

If you want to mess around with a kernel start with the 2.6.27 kernel from Huawei.

This one works from the beginning when you flash it to your Pulse.

Best regards,

BB

• 3 weeks later...

bumpy bumpy.

Let's get the .32 kernel dev going again :lol:

I extracted the kernel config from the IDEOS and it's pretty similar to the Pulse. Same 528MHz MSM7201A CPU which is a good thing. WiFi has support for ar6000 like the pulse too.

Edited by flibblesan

bumpy bumpy.

Let's get the .32 kernel dev going again :lol:

I extracted the kernel config from the IDEOS and it's pretty similar to the Pulse. Same 528MHz MSM7201A CPU which is a good thing. WiFi has support for ar6000 like the pulse too.

That doesn't sound right. Isn't IDEOS on one of the newer platforms.

I can't see Huawei doing froyo on any MSM7201A based platform as it won't be supported by Qualcomm. Qualcomm (CodeAurora) only support froyo on the newer platforms.

Guest Sh4d0w940
That doesn't sound right. Isn't IDEOS on one of the newer platforms.

I can't see Huawei doing froyo on any MSM7201A based platform as it won't be supported by Qualcomm. Qualcomm (CodeAurora) only support froyo on the newer platforms.

It's true though, IDEOS is using Qualcomm MSM7201A wich isn't very different from the Qualcomm MSM7200A that's being used in the Pulse.

But iI think it's not very weird since froyo runs very well on it :lol:

Sh4d0w940

A bit of info on what boots.

I've been playing a bit with the patch posted by tantalus here, and trying to figure out why 2.6.32 boots with that patch, but not without (there is nothing obvious in the patch that would make it boot). It turns out all the patch does is get fb working (it will boot a recovery image into the menu). The codeaurora kernel will boot the device without the patch (but you'll need to have rs232 hooked up to see it). I can't get to codeaurora at the moment, but when I can I will try to find what it is in their kernel that makes in boot when the aosp kernel won't. I would rather use the aosp code as a base, but I don't know how much work there will be in getting it working.

What do people see as the most important features to concetrate on getting working? usb/adb I think are probably most important first so that rs232 isn't needed to get a console.

It's true though, IDEOS is using Qualcomm MSM7201A wich isn't very different from the Qualcomm MSM7200A that's being used in the Pulse.

Sh4d0w940

They are effectively the same. The only difference is regarding some Broadcom stuff. Apparently there was some legal trouble with Qualcomm.

What's the advantage the .32 kernel? Is it faster? Does it use less resources?

Android 2.2 is meant to run on a .32 or higher kernel in order to support the full range of features such as USB and wireless tethering. Performance of the system should be improved also.

Sh4d0w940

I suppose we better badger Huawei for the 8150 froyo source, maybe they will release it by the end of the year

Oh, you're an optimist.

lol

Seriously though I think I understand why the kernel source for the Pulse took as long as it did. Normally kernel source comes a month or so after a ROM release which kind of makes sense as what use would a kernel be if you don't have the ROM?

T-Mobile HU released the 2.1 ROM at the end of May. Not long after Huawei informed that this is a test rom and should not have been released. I think it was correct for them not to release the kernel source for a test kernel.

August comes and T-Mobile UK finally release the first 2.1 ROM for the Pulse. However at the end of August this was removed due to some bugs. Now since we got the kernel source in September that's only a month after release. But the kernel source was probably only released because the community asked them repetitively. Huawei said T-Mobile Uk released a test ROM which does mean they didn't have to release the kernel source.

Of course Huawei should have released source for the pulse due to the rom releases in other countries. We still don't see a kernel for the U8230 or the CHT8000.

It could be optimism but I think now Huawei have learned they cannot delay the source like this. The IDEOS is a very big deal for Huawei. It's the first device they have worked on with Google and it would ruin the reputation if they denied the code being released.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest pedrojaime

Would really love to see something more up to date like 2.6.38+ kernel..

While we are on the subject, and I have made good backups btw, which alternative kernels are available for froyo known to work and can I test these easily? Are there pre-compiled versions available so I can just flash onto the pulse or is this a more complex process using usb cable and ADB that may break the init of the device??

thanks,

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest rangeoshun

Would really love to see something more up to date like 2.6.38+ kernel..

While we are on the subject, and I have made good backups btw, which alternative kernels are available for froyo known to work and can I test these easily? Are there pre-compiled versions available so I can just flash onto the pulse or is this a more complex process using usb cable and ADB that may break the init of the device??

thanks,

Peter

You can simply flash it on your phone, from recovery. The problem is, there are only .29 kernels available, and all of us who tried to compile newer encountered a problem, of it not working :D

Edited by rangeoshun

• 2 months later...