XFJM6 Samsung's fixed lag? GPS?

Guest DistortedLoop

Guest DistortedLoop

I might be a bit premature, but I'm excited after a day on this ROM.

Lag seems "fixed" without any of the hacks needed, and GPS much improved. Both still need more testing I suppose.

The phone's not as "snappy" as when running some of the lag fixes, but with the natural performance of the phone as is on this ROM, I don't feel like I "have to" apply a lag-fix.

GPS gets a much faster lock with twice as many satellites as prior ROMs, but needs track testing still. (see results of lock below).

One consideration is that unlike with other ROM upgrades I didn't restore system data with this one, nor even apps. Everything's freshly installed with the exception of a few specific apps which got hand-picked for "data only" restores from Titanium after installing from the Market (appbrain's a life-saver for that approach).

I'm going to zipalign all my apps with a script and see if that adds a little snap, but again, I don't feel it's necessary.

I highly recommend this one for a test drive, even if you want to apply one of the lag fixes on top of it. By the way, I think the best lag fix out there right now in terms of compromising between blazing performance and safety is the samset/mimocan kernel with ext4 apps2sd fix. I *think* you could use that kernel whether you use the samset mod or not, but not sure, haven't tried. I like samset, and will be applying it over this current ROM after a little more native testing.

Not sure what all has changed on the ROM, the leaker says most of the apps updated.

They're still using RFS. I wonder if the mounting parameters have changed.

Autokiller's helped other ROMS, so I wonder if they've changed that as well.

I checked the default settings on this ROM with the cat command. Might be interesting if others on non-lag-fixed different ROMs post results:

FreeMem manager:

# cat /sys/module/lowmemorykiller/parameters/minfree

Mount:# mount

rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0

/dev/block/stl6 /mnt/.lfs j4fs rw 0 0

tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0

none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/stl9 /system rfs rw,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl10 /dbdata rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl11 /cache rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block/stl3 /efs rfs rw,nosuid,nodev,vfat,llw,check=no,gid/uid/rwx,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/block//vold/179:1 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0102,dmask=0002,allow_uti

e=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block//vold/179:9 /sdcard/sd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_uti

e=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Scheduler:

# cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/scheduler

noop anticipatory deadline [cfq]

GPS test:

9 sats locked, 32 feet accuracy in under 5 seconds. 11 locked in under 10. This is in my living room just now. 9-11 held for several minutes until I turned it off. It used to take a minute or two to get a lock of 4 or 5 in the house.

I will test on the road when I go out tonight.

Edited by DistortedLoop

Guest Kilack

Yeah the GPS results look the most promising so far.. and a few good tracks posted on xda now.

You ran the hongkong firmware too right? Did the GPS seem similar? I wonder if anyone has diff'ed the GPS files from this one to the hongkong one to see if they are the same or not.

Anyway looks like samsung might be on the right track to getting the GPS sorted. I won't say it is yet as we all know it pays to wait before passing final judgement :huh: but definitely looking hopeful

Nice to hear that you think the phone is performing better without lag fixes also. Though that could be just from a fresh install also.... wait until the files get fragmented a bit more etc..;)

Is anyone else worried that its a couple of days out from september and the froyo firmware still seems pretty buggy and very beta?

I just wonder if they going to rush through the changes to reach the september deadline they gave themselves and push out another buggy firmware and then we will be sitting around waiting for updates etc again....

Guest DistortedLoop
Yeah the GPS results look the most promising so far.. and a few good tracks posted on xda now.

You ran the hongkong firmware too right? Did the GPS seem similar? I wonder if anyone has diff'ed the GPS files from this one to the hongkong one to see if they are the same or not.

Nope, haven't ran the HK one right now. I've just downloaded it and am considering flashing it, and how I'm going to address getting my apps back on it if I do. I feel obliged to check it out, but as usual, I'm a little burned out on messing with this phone. :huh:

DocRambone, one of the few ROM customizers out there for our phone is voting for the I9000HVJH1 as the best in this thread, and he's probably got more insight than I do, so I think I'll go ahead and flash it after I eat lunch. I may have to change my recommendation to that one, but again, so far, I don't think anyone would regret using this one.

Anyway looks like samsung might be on the right track to getting the GPS sorted. I won't say it is yet as we all know it pays to wait before passing final judgement ;) but definitely looking hopeful

Nice to hear that you think the phone is performing better without lag fixes also. Though that could be just from a fresh install also.... wait until the files get fragmented a bit more etc..:(

Yes, that's why I've qualified my posts with "needs more testing", but in all fairness to this particular build, the last ones I tried JM5 and XWJM6 needed lag-fixing right after the flash. This one hasn't after 24 hours of use trying to get it to lag. This is very promising. We'll see if I'm back to whining in a day or two, of course. LOL

Is anyone else worried that its a couple of days out from september and the froyo firmware still seems pretty buggy and very beta?

I just wonder if they going to rush through the changes to reach the september deadline they gave themselves and push out another buggy firmware and then we will be sitting around waiting for updates etc again....

Well, they gave themselves a late September deadline, I think, so they still have at least three weeks to work on it. I'm not too worried, yet.

any quadrant results ?

Running Canada bell SGS with new firmware and it runs quadrand at...

Old Firmware : 920

Old firmware lag fix : 2080

New firmware : 863

New firmware with lag fix : 2127 * Unable to root using one click rooter - fixed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728754*

so oddly enough its slower stock but faster with lag fix.

Edited by Mur

Guest xarxiusxiii

Is this firmware worth flashing to then? I was on JPC yesterday, but it messed up my phone (the unlock code malarkey). It's now fixed but I'm back on JF3 (I thought flashing earlier firmwares would fix the problem...)

So should I flash this or risk it with JPC again?

Guest thecresta

Damn Quadrant results!

Mine was 2100+ following the lag fix and was as slow as ever!

I want to FEEL the difference!

Might give this a go, feedback sounds good :huh:

;)

Guest Kilack

Ive been using this for a few days now.

I haven't applied any lag fixes whereas before i was running either the ext4 fix or the ext2 file on top of the samsung rfs.

I see little delays here and there with things like loading apps etc but that is fine and they are very tiny and not enough to make me want to bother running a lag fix.. I will probably look at a lag fix when a better one comes out.. eg replacing the native file system just because if you can make it more snappy then why not.

GPS definitely seems to be improved, I wouldnt say its there yet but the closest we have seen so far and I am sure samsung are still busy tweaking it. It should be able to perform better still.

I think the XFJM6 firmware is pretty good.

As more and more people are pointing out quadrant results have nothing to do with how responsive the phone is for general use.

Still happy with gps?

No lag yet?

What do dirty_ratio and vfs_cache_pressure default to on this rom?

What is slice_idle default value for cfq?

cat /proc/meminfo shows what mem total? Stock is around 333mb, doing the lazy 1k instead of 1024 math.

Thanks,

Daniel

Guest DistortedLoop

I'm trying HVJH1 right now so can't check those values on XFJM6 at the moment.

Be happy to check them on JH1 if you post how.

For what it's worth, I think that the XFJM6 is slightly better than HVJH1, but not enough better to bother going back.

Also, I'm sure most have seen there's a XWJM7 out now too. Damn hard to keep up at this pace.

And finally, I installed the beta ex4 fs conversion that supercurio is about to release, since it is the REAL lag-fix, replacing RFS with a real linus filesystem. It's still beta, semi-private, but you can find it if you look around pretty easily.

I'm trying HVJH1 right now so can't check those values on XFJM6 at the moment.

Be happy to check them on JH1 if you post how.

For what it's worth, I think that the XFJM6 is slightly better than HVJH1, but not enough better to bother going back.

Also, I'm sure most have seen there's a XWJM7 out now too. Damn hard to keep up at this pace.

And finally, I installed the beta ex4 fs conversion that supercurio is about to release, since it is the REAL lag-fix, replacing RFS with a real linus filesystem. It's still beta, semi-private, but you can find it if you look around pretty easily.

/proc/sys/vm/ has the dirty ratio and cache pressure. Just cat them.

For the slice idle I'd have to paste from desktop later, it's a longer path I wouldn't want to get wrong.

Other was /proc/meminfo

Getting rid of rfs sounds good, sounds like they tried for a "good FAT"

Guest liquid_it

Has it a "no wipe" installation"? does it convert rfs to ext4 with no data loss?

I found the zImage, still I don't feel the need for this patch atm.

Has it a "no wipe" installation"? does it convert rfs to ext4 with no data loss?

I found the zImage, still I don't feel the need for this patch atm.

Yes you just need to flash the pda with it, make sure you don't tick repartition.

It converts all your current data - no loss, process is very quick and smooth.

Guest liquid_it

Just flashed supercurio's ramdisk, phone is snappy, snappier than it was before for sure, still I think XFJM6 is a good firmware, not really needing this patch if you don't have a ton of apps installed

Guest DistortedLoop
I'm going to zipalign all my apps with a script and see if that adds a little snap, but again, I don't feel it's necessary.

re: zipaligning. Of the 97 apps I had installed, only 3 weren't already zipaligned, LOL. Almost a waste of effort. I notice a lot of ROM developers advertise that they've zipaligned as part of the ROM, so figured non-zipaligned apps were rampant. Far from it. Makes sense, since zipalign has been recommended by Google since 1.6 came out, and is part of the normal build with one of the dev kits.

re: zipaligning. Of the 97 apps I had installed, only 3 weren't already zipaligned, LOL. Almost a waste of effort. I notice a lot of ROM developers advertise that they've zipaligned as part of the ROM, so figured non-zipaligned apps were rampant. Far from it. Makes sense, since zipalign has been recommended by Google since 1.6 came out, and is part of the normal build with one of the dev kits.

In simple words, how do stock rom with fixes and this one compare.

Considering I am so happy with my phone right now that I do not even bother with any roms or kernels, I wonder how the "much snappier" might quantify.

I'm pretty sure it's snappiest with launcher pro, but livehome with it's "turning the page" effect for home screens is just too tempting to ignore.

I guess I wonder if there is any benefit in these roms for me other than being 2.2

This way I don't have to admit I flashed the rom just to tinker :P

Guest DistortedLoop
In simple words, how do stock rom with fixes and this one compare.

Considering I am so happy with my phone right now that I do not even bother with any roms or kernels, I wonder how the "much snappier" might quantify.

I'm pretty sure it's snappiest with launcher pro, but livehome with it's "turning the page" effect for home screens is just too tempting to ignore.

I guess I wonder if there is any benefit in these roms for me other than being 2.2

This way I don't have to admit I flashed the rom just to tinker :P

Livehome? Not heard of that. I use ADW.

None of the fixes remove lag totally, EXCEPT for supercurio's fix which reformats the /data with ext4. My phone's been uptime 80 hours, lots of use, no sign of lag or slowdown in the market, etc.

I think XFJM6 and HVJH1 can be ran acceptably without any fix at all, but after a few days you might see some occasionaly lag. Certainly better than any other rom I've see/used, including ones that use any of the mimocan or ryanza type fixes. You also get the benefit of better GPS performance (xFjm6 more so than jh1 in my opinion).

I also think if you're happy with your current setup, why bother trying something else? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Edited by DistortedLoop

Switching from adw to launcher pro made a nice difference for me.

Livehome just has some eyecandy that's fun to see.

LauncherPro though performance wise, haven't used adw in a while now, maybe I should retry.

Ever do a ' cat /proc/meminfo' on those roms?

Guest DistortedLoop
Switching from adw to launcher pro made a nice difference for me.

Livehome just has some eyecandy that's fun to see.

LauncherPro though performance wise, haven't used adw in a while now, maybe I should retry.

Ever do a ' cat /proc/meminfo' on those roms?

No, but since you asked, here's one for HVJH1.

This phone's been up for 87 hours and is running supercurio's voodoo. I think Autokiller's installed, but it's set to default.

/ $ su

~ # cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal:		 333208 kB

MemFree:			52800 kB

Buffers:				3828 kB

Cached:			  85048 kB

SwapCached:			 0 kB

Active:			  100448 kB

Inactive:		   131592 kB

Active(anon):	  57024 kB

Inactive(anon):	86824 kB

Active(file):		  43424 kB

Inactive(file):	   44768 kB

SwapTotal:				 0 kB

SwapFree:				  0 kB

Dirty:						 4 kB

Writeback:				 0 kB

AnonPages:	   143180 kB

Mapped:			 49316 kB

Slab:				  11956 kB

SReclaimable:	   2752 kB

SUnreclaim:		 9204 kB

PageTables:		 9564 kB

NFS_Unstable:		  0 kB

Bounce:				0 kB

WritebackTmp:		  0 kB

CommitLimit:	  166604 kB

Committed_AS:	5344144 kB

VmallocTotal:	 286720 kB

VmallocUsed:	   71676 kB

VmallocChunk:	 159748 kB

~ #

Livehome? Not heard of that. I use ADW.

None of the fixes remove lag totally, EXCEPT for supercurio's fix which reformats the /data with ext4. My phone's been uptime 80 hours, lots of use, no sign of lag or slowdown in the market, etc.

I think XFJM6 and HVJH1 can be ran acceptably without any fix at all, but after a few days you might see some occasionaly lag. Certainly better than any other rom I've see/used, including ones that use any of the mimocan or ryanza type fixes. You also get the benefit of better GPS performance (xFjm6 more so than jh1 in my opinion).

I also think if you're happy with your current setup, why bother trying something else? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Can we afford choosing any file system? Because if the phone's controller does not take care of wear leveling, then I would not choose a filesystem that is not meant for flash memory like typically used for nand/mtd partitions.

While I am not shy using ext2 on my removable sdcard, I am not that brave with internal partitions.

Noone fixes what ain't broken, but when you had to tinker to be happy, then you will wonder what a new rom will be like with some tinkering.

And if samsung does not drop rfs, we can't not do something about it.

1800 in quadrant without the possibility for double caching in loopmount fix.....i expect that from samsung if they can make it smooth too. That's why the interest in this rom . :P vicariously at least

No, but since you asked, here's one for HVJH1.

This phone's been up for 87 hours and is running supercurio's voodoo. I think Autokiller's installed, but it's set to default.

/ $ su

~ # cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal:		 333208 kB

MemFree:			52800 kB

Buffers:				3828 kB

Cached:			  85048 kB

SwapCached:			 0 kB

Active:			  100448 kB

Inactive:		   131592 kB

Active(anon):	  57024 kB

Inactive(anon):	86824 kB

Active(file):		  43424 kB

Inactive(file):	   44768 kB

SwapTotal:				 0 kB

SwapFree:				  0 kB

Dirty:						 4 kB

Writeback:				 0 kB

AnonPages:	   143180 kB

Mapped:			 49316 kB

Slab:				  11956 kB

SReclaimable:	   2752 kB

SUnreclaim:		 9204 kB

PageTables:		 9564 kB

NFS_Unstable:		  0 kB

Bounce:				0 kB

WritebackTmp:		  0 kB

CommitLimit:	  166604 kB

Committed_AS:	5344144 kB

VmallocTotal:	 286720 kB

VmallocUsed:	   71676 kB

VmallocChunk:	 159748 kB

~ #

Nice, not less than stock, unlike JP* were, thanks for the info.

Guest DistortedLoop
Can we afford choosing any file system? Because if the phone's controller does not take care of wear leveling, then I would not choose a filesystem that is not meant for flash memory like typically used for nand/mtd partitions.

While I am not shy using ext2 on my removable sdcard, I am not that brave with internal partitions.

Noone fixes what ain't broken, but when you had to tinker to be happy, then you will wonder what a new rom will be like with some tinkering.

And if samsung does not drop rfs, we can't not do something about it.

1800 in quadrant without the possibility for double caching in loopmount fix.....i expect that from samsung if they can make it smooth too. That's why the interest in this rom . :P vicariously at least

Sure, a lot of us fix what's not broken. My phone running HVJH1 & voodoo isn't "broken" but I am interested in trying XWJM7 just because it's there. It was frustrating to be constantly looking for a ROM and lag-fix to make my phone useable, but now that I know of a fast/stable combination I can always run home to, it becomes interesting/fun to play around with other ROMs.

I have no solid info from Samsung direct re:wear-levling on the internal flash memory, but I've seen posts that Samsung's controller handles it, not the filesystem, and this is one of the reasons ext* is used by the various hackers, not YAFFS. This makes sense to me, as Samsung is a world leader in flash memory tech, seems like they'd build that in, but I don't know for sure.

Also, for me, I sincerely doubt that I personally will keep any cellphone for more than a year, and at the rate Android phones are moving forward, probably no more than 6 months. I'm fairly confident that I wouldn't be able to wear out the memory in that amount of time. This of course is consumer-level speculation, nothing scientific. I understand that others may not feel so cavalier about it, and respect that.