New HTC Desire User

Guest Stoned Rider

Guest Stoned Rider

So, i understand everything in rooting and setting new rom for pulse...

But, i have Desire now, so i have few questions if somebody is willing to answer:

Desire is on Froyo 2.2 with SLCD and is locked to Cro VIP (Vodafone) Network

1. Is there any way to unlock it?

2. What are the benefits of rooting it and installing custom roms?

Thanks!

Edited by Stoned Rider

Guest souljah777
So, i understand everything in rooting and setting new rom for pulse...

But, i have Desire now, so i have few questions if somebody is willing to answer:

Desire is on Froyo 2.2 with SLCD and is locked to Cro VIP (Vodafone) Network

1. Is there any way to unlock it?

2. What are the benefits of rooting it and installing custom roms?

Thanks!

Hi there (Dobar Dan). There is a link in the MoDaCo announcements for the Desire that takes you to an unlocking site http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=an...f=430&id=12. As far as rooting goes I can't really help you with the Desire because I haven't rooted mine and don't intend to. If you've rooted your old Pulse though you'll know that you have access far deeper into the operating system than you do without root. This allows you to do things like overclocking your CPU. Using custom ROMs can be of benefit as they tend to come with no carrier add-ons that might slow the phone down. That said, if you're running 2.2 on Vodafone your phone should be pretty quick anyway. You have to weigh up the risk of bricking your phone against the benefits you might get from rooting. You can generally read what the benefits of a custom ROM are in the description of it and there are great guides for you if that's the way you want to go.

Hope that helps.

Bog

Guest Asselberghs

Rooting benefits for me was a few apps that requires rooting in the market (Titanium Backup for instance) The ability to change my roms whenever I feel like it, to get a feel for different roms, but truth be told I am very happy with MCR and I pulled anything sense out of it, so I got my stock android feel like from the nexus one that I wanted, but it´s a nice feeling being able to just switch at any time should I find something better (not that I am going to at all heh MCR is the best:)) and ofc. for me number one was access to paid apps, with market enabler since I live in Denmark and we don´t normally have access to paid apps. Which annoyed the hell out of me.

So theres a bit of "why to root":huh: