Flashing a custom rom

Guest bpivk

Hy

I'm about to buy a new phone and it will most probably be a Desire. I know WinMo phones but I can see that it's not easy to upgrade to a new rom.

So the question is:

I know that you have to root your phone and install a custom image if you want to upgrade it but I've read this topic (http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307365/14-jun-r6-riskfreeroot-htc-desire-rooting-guide-now-with-hboot-0-80-and-os-to-1-21-support/) and it says "The root process will NOT enable you to flash your device with a custom recovery image".

So how do you get this phone to flash a custom image?

Sorry for the dumb question but I've been reading about it for an hour and either I'm missing something obvious or I'm blind (both options are possible). :huh:

I know that I'll root and install a new rom as soon as I get my hands on the phone and that's why I'm asking.

Guest bigthunderkid
Hy

I'm about to buy a new phone and it will most probably be a Desire. I know WinMo phones but I can see that it's not easy to upgrade to a new rom.

So the question is:

I know that you have to root your phone and install a custom image if you want to upgrade it but I've read this topic (http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307365/14-jun-r6-riskfreeroot-htc-desire-rooting-guide-now-with-hboot-0-80-and-os-to-1-21-support/) and it says "The root process will NOT enable you to flash your device with a custom recovery image".

So how do you get this phone to flash a custom image?

Sorry for the dumb question but I've been reading about it for an hour and either I'm missing something obvious or I'm blind (both options are possible). :huh:

I know that I'll root and install a new rom as soon as I get my hands on the phone and that's why I'm asking.

hi bpivk,

I also came from a WM phone as well - now I have an unbranded Desire and am loving it :D

Like you, I was a bit tentative about diving into rooting and rom flashing but if you spend a bit of time doing research, reading, and re-reading you will find that it's a relatively straightforward process. I've had my phone about 3 months and have already flashed about 7-8 different roms and a half dozen other utilities without any dramas. The "kitchen" here on Modaco is fantastic and I would highly recommend getting membership so you can customise your own roms

Most of the custom roms are zip files that you simply flash onto the phone. There are copious root/rom flash guides in the different android related forums that I came across, so I understand that all the information out there can be a bit overwhelming - the best advice I could give is to settle on a guide that you find easy to follow, and then perform the steps EXACTLY as described. You can run into trouble if you try to start mixing different methods.

Personally, I used this guide for my first root/rom flash --> http://rootmydroid.co.uk/guides/desire/howto-root-your-htc-desire/. However, this may not work with more recently issued handsets that have a different HBOOT version. Some more reading for you here :( --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=749551

Anyways, have fun playing with your new toy. Don't be afraid to ask questions in the forums - everyone here is pretty helpful (just make sure you spend some time doing a search first as its very likely that someone else has already asked the same question for a problem you may encounter ;) )

viva la little green robot!

If you're getting a new Desire it'll likely be a SLCD one so the guides above are redundant and will leave you with a brick

It depends on the amount of phones they have/had on stock.

But how can I check if it's a SLCD device?

Edit: A black background in low light, at certain angles, will have a slight grey sheen to it if your screen is SLCD. <-- I bet I'll mess this up. :huh:

Edited by bpivk

If the box says '3.7" AMOLED Screen' then it's AMOLED. If it says '3.7" screen' then it's SLCD

Not that is a useful answer. And the best thing is that I don't have to check the screen (I don't do colors well) :huh: . Thank you.

So if the box says AMOLED then I can use the first tutorial and if it says screen I can use your tutorial.

Thanks again and I'll repost when I get the new phone and tinker with it.

One last question:

Do I have to use a custom rom if I get the SLCD Desire or can I use modaco's roms?

Edited by bpivk

I'd assume Paul has this taken care of BUT I'm not 100% sure...if you're on an AMOLED screen then I'd still use the guide I posted as it works on any HBOOT. Chances are your Desire will already have 2.2 on it and that guide you posted before was for 1.21 ROMs with HBOOT 0.80...

Edited by EddyOS

Yeah I noticed that the guide I posted only works for HBOOT 80.xx but your guide works on all HBOOT versions.

But I'll check HBOOT versions when I get my device just to be sure.

Thanks Eddy