What's the difference

Guest meilechl

Guest meilechl

Sorry for the noobie question but what, if any, is the basic difference between them? Why would anyone prefer one over the other? Personally I'm a fan of Modaco because of the kitchen, but am I missing out on anything?

Thanks for replying.

Guest jbeynon
Sorry for the noobie question but what, if any, is the basic difference between them? Why would anyone prefer one over the other? Personally I'm a fan of Modaco because of the kitchen, but am I missing out on anything?

Thanks for replying.

I used the r8 modaco rom for a few days but now am running the cyanogenmod rom. I'm also a newbie so excuse me if I get anything wrong. The r8 modaco rom is based off the official HTC Desire rom with stuffed added and removed (via the kitchen) - the cyanogenmod is based off vanilla android.

A few examples, with the r8 rom I still had the HTC Dialler and the Android Dialler and couldn't find how to change the launcher bar to use the default android one - I ended up having to use ADW Launcher (as is used on Cyanogenmod rom too) - this is despite me selecting no HTC apps in the kitchen. The modaco rom still has the black status bar whereas the cyanogenmod is the default grey status bar - it has another few nice things, opaque notifications panel so you can still see the backgroun through notifications, customisable settings widget so you can have 'switches' for the things you want, eg I have wifi, gps, sync, auto brightness (never found that in the modaco/htc roms) and airplane mode.

The cyanogenmod has it's own customised settings panel - built on top of the android one which allow for more customisations like wake on trackpad, power. So nothing major but I prefer the more vanilla unmolested Android that Cyanogenmod gives, and hey, if/when I get sick of it I'll just Nandroid back to the r8 rom.

Also, I believe the Paul is slowly rolling kitchens out for the Cyanogenmod rom, starting with the Nexus one so if it's a kitchen you want then a kitchen you shall have.

John.

Edited by jbeynon

Cyanogen mod ROMS are based on the official opensource version of Android that Google release, with cyanogen's tweaks to improve them. It's fairly bleeding edge and will always be ahead of manufacturer roms because it's pure Andriod

MoDaCo Roms are based on official HTC Roms, with Paul's tweaks to improve them, but keeping as close to official 'but better' as he can.

The difference is the Sense overlay HTC has put on Android, HTC Sense and Vanilla android work very similarly, but appear to be different, as HTC has themed android and added in a bunch of it's own software (HTC versions of the dialer, home screen, notification bar etc).

If you want fast performance and the latest version of android vanilla is the way to go, personally I prefer the style and wow of HTC Sense phones, but if you root yours you can try both :huh: