Another alternative file transfer method

Guest Bisonator

Guest Bisonator

Hi All

Those experiencing the SD Card corruption that seems to come with running a froyo-based ROM with legacy A2SD might be interested in this pretty decent workaround.

There's a free app on the market which turns your phone into an ftp server over its wireless connection. Download 'swiftp' and give it a try. This is the best solution I have found to avoid the need to connect phone to PC with sync cable.

N.B. make sure you set up the 'Stay within folder...' setting as this: /mnt/sdcard

- otherwise you might not have write access and will only be able to view the top-level folders!

I'd recommend using this with filezilla (also free) as your ftp client on your PC.

I know this is telling most of you how to suck eggs, but for the noobs out there freaking out because of their SD Card getting frigged everytime they connect to their PC (like I was a couple of weeks ago), this might be invaluable.

Hope at least someone finds it useful anyhow! :huh:

Guest marcuso

nice tip - using this does not only help with corruption of sdcard but also helps when you are lacking any USB-cable ;-)

but there is a couple of other apps that are doing the same thing even better (more protocols):

I prefer "On Air" which supports afp/webdav/ftp - so you do not need any extra clients as all OSs support at least on of these out of the box and regular file-manager (windows-explorer, finder, ...) can be used to access it.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.bw.onair

Edited by marcuso

Guest vfrvulcan
nice tip - using this does not only help with corruption of sdcard but also helps when you are lacking any USB-cable ;-)

but there is a couple of other apps that are doing the same thing even better (more protocols):

I prefer "On Air" which supports afp/webdav/ftp - so you do not need any extra clients as all OSs support at least on of these out of the box and regular file-manager (windows-explorer, finder, ...) can be used to access it.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.bw.onair

Yes I agree, a nice tip.

OnAir doesn't work out of the box for me on Win7 :huh:

I'm looking for a way to have a share running on the phone so I can simply browse to it with a file explorer on the desktop to copy/move/delete etc without having to connect the cable.

There are many ways to do it the other way round (browse the desktop from the phone using Astro/ES Explorer etc) but I'm yet to find a working solution for the other direction. Wifi Explorer Pro, although it works, is very clunky and the UI is awful on the desktop.

Is this where CIFS comes in? Or anyone know of a good SMB Server for Android?

Guest marcuso
OnAir doesn't work out of the box for me on Win7 :huh:

? working fine for me with Win7.

You just need to choose "‘Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures.", when mapping network-drive.

And you can actually map a drive-letter so you can use whatever file-manager you prefer.

Guest vfrvulcan
? working fine for me with Win7.

You just need to choose "‘Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures.", when mapping network-drive.

And you can actually map a drive-letter so you can use whatever file-manager you prefer.

Thanks, tried that but no joy.

Seen various mentions of the documentation for this being a bit c@rp and I fully agree (it's non-existent) - there was no indication to say tap the AppleTalk logo whilst off-air to change the connection type.

Having figured that bit out, I set it to windows and it still fails using the wizard but using Firefox will list the contents without being able to do anything with it.

Changing to FTP gives the message 'Starting up disk...' then fails needing a Force Close.

May I ask what settings you're using at each end please?

TIA

Aaron

Edited by vfrvulcan

Guest marcuso
Thanks, tried that but no joy.

Seen various mentions of the documentation for this being a bit c@rp and I fully agree (it's non-existent) - there was no indication to say tap the AppleTalk logo whilst off-air to change the connection type.

Having figured that bit out, I set it to windows and it still fails using the wizard but using Firefox will list the contents without being able to do anything with it.

Changing to FTP gives the message 'Starting up disk...' then fails needing a Force Close.

May I ask what settings you're using at each end please?

TIA

Aaron

currently not at home, but i will try to make a step-by-step documentation tomorrow ...

Guest marcuso
currently not at home, but i will try to make a step-by-step documentation tomorrow ...

Just tried it with a friends win7 laptop and somehow i could not get it to work now as well ?!

I could swear i successfully used it with my win7 machine (even if mostly mac user) and webdav but now i am not 100% sure any more as i read more comments that win7 is not working ;-)

what definately does work is FTP using a 3rd party client.

Will try again tomorrow at home and post results.

Marcus

P.S. even the author of the app twittered that there are still glitches to iron out .. this may be one of them ;-)

--- from the twitter-account of the app-author:

@modacoandroid On Air: There are some glitches still, hope i get the time to iron them out...

4:31 AM Aug 23rd via TweetDeck als Antwort auf modacoandroid

Guest marcuso

Will try again tomorrow at home and post results.

cant get it to work again in win 7 with OnAir and Webdav ... must have been a dream - sorry for confusion ;-)

So probably FTP+3rd party client is the best solution for windows users currently.

Guest vfrvulcan
cant get it to work again in win 7 with OnAir and Webdav ... must have been a dream - sorry for confusion ;-)

So probably FTP+3rd party client is the best solution for windows users currently.

Thanks for the confirmation Marcus, didn't think I was going crazy but a sanity check now and again doesn't hurt :huh:

Aaron

Guest Bisonator

I couldn't get On Air to work with Win7 64-bit either. There are tuts you can find via google to setup webdav in win7 but I couldn't be bothered. It looked too invloved for my taste! :P Guess I'll stick to ftp.

The bonus of the ftp + client that I like best is the ability to queue you transfer list instead of having to run many simultaneous transfers or keep waiting for the previous one to end before starting another.

This is a feature I wish Windows Explorer had just for local disk/local network transfers! (Again, you have to turn to 3rd party soluutions for that sort of luxury!)

B