07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ShirazS
Thanks for tip: I've flashed the Gingerbread Villain - stable, camera works(!) - no problems (so far!) Only 'downer' is lack of HTC sync for contacts but found an app that syncs phone contacts then to to Outlook - one extra step in sync process but nothing major.

I meant that there was an HTC sense Gingerbread leak but AOSP is good too! :)

Guest David Szabo
No idea what AOSP is mate... I should but I don't. :)

Android Open Source Project. It's not an official release for Desire, but it's modified to work (usually better than the official releases :) )

Guest Paul the Cman

I've a wierd issue with FR11 - using app2sd+ for non-widget apps installed. After running several apps in a short period of time when I come out of those apps I get the white HTC screen and then sense seems to reload and takes a while. The phone gets very slow responsiveness for a long period. Power off and on gets things back to normal but I don't get why it seems that sense may be unloaded from memory and reloaded when coming back out of an app.

Guest bpivk
The phone gets very slow responsiveness for a long period. Power off and on gets things back to normal but I don't get why it seems that sense may be unloaded from memory and reloaded when coming back out of an app.

Are you by any chance forcing the apps to install to SD?

Because the behavior you're describing is exactly what happens if you use a2sd and force the apps to install to sd with Spare Parts or via adb and the command "pm setInstallLocation 2".

If that's not the case then it could be some app that's messing the things up. You did wipe your phone before flashing?

Edited by bpivk

Guest djkaija
You could use QtADB, there is nothing easier. You launch the app, plug your phone in and literally right-click on each app you do not like, then click uninstall.

Does that include apps like the stock browser and sms app for example? I use Dolphin HD and Handcent not the stock one. Thanks.

Edited by djkaija

Guest ShirazS
Does that include apps like the stock browser and sms app for example? I use Dolphin HD and Handcent not the stock one. Thanks.

Yeah, for the stock apps, just select the "System Applications" dropdown and you can uninstall any of it.

Guest bpivk

I suggest that you keep both apps. Some apps use the stock browser to show help and don't even ask you which browser you're using if you have more than one installed. So I had some problems with removing that app.

As for stock sms app... It's not recommended. You could have problems retrieving SMS and MMS.

Guest djkaija
I suggest that you keep both apps. Some apps use the stock browser to show help and don't even ask you which browser you're using if you have more than one installed. So I had some problems with removing that app.

As for stock sms app... It's not recommended. You could have problems retrieving SMS and MMS.

OK - thanks for your time and advice.

Guest djkaija
Yeah, for the stock apps, just select the "System Applications" dropdown and you can uninstall any of it.

Thanks Shiraz - I've done a nandroid backup so might give it a go although apparently it might not be a great idea.

Guest ShirazS
Thanks Shiraz - I've done a nandroid backup so might give it a go although apparently it might not be a great idea.

Yeah, I don't see any benefit in removing system apps either as you're not going to be able to use the space gained. As far as I know, once you've flashed a ROM, you cannot install apps to the system partition.

Guest djkaija
Yeah, I don't see any benefit in removing system apps either as you're not going to be able to use the space gained. As far as I know, once you've flashed a ROM, you cannot install apps to the system partition.

It isn't to use or gain any more space - just irritating when I have to chose which app to use each time I want to reply to a text or use my browser (even after ticking which one should be used as default, the phone keeps 'forgetting' which one the default is) I can live with it... also missing having Friendstream app as per Paul's ROMs) and HTC sync :)/

You need to S-Off your device and then resize partition (there's a thread on XDA in Desire DEV section with instruction how to do that). This way you can shrink SYSTEM partition and extend DATA.

This is how I've done and now I don't need to bother with app2sd anymore.

Guest Beaver6813
I've a wierd issue with FR11 - using app2sd+ for non-widget apps installed. After running several apps in a short period of time when I come out of those apps I get the white HTC screen and then sense seems to reload and takes a while. The phone gets very slow responsiveness for a long period. Power off and on gets things back to normal but I don't get why it seems that sense may be unloaded from memory and reloaded when coming back out of an app.

It's because you're running out of memory. It's doing it on mine (running a baked rom) at the moment and I can't find a solution with it, memorys fine when the phone loads (around 120mb spare) and then quickly drains to around 20-30mb. It closes the launcher as its a background task when you're not on it to to try and free memory. I'm thinking about switching to another ROM, LeeDroid or like just because they appear to be more stable.

Guest djkaija
You need to S-Off your device and then resize partition (there's a thread on XDA in Desire DEV section with instruction how to do that). This way you can shrink SYSTEM partition and extend DATA.

This is how I've done and now I don't need to bother with app2sd anymore.

Eeek.. steering clear... too scary... :)

Guest htcnick

hi

i have a problem with the sd card. this has happened a few times and i want to find out the problem. If the phone turns off, either by me turning it off or by the batt dying, it seems to wipe all the data on the sd card. is there a prob with the sd card or the rom. if wipes both the apps and the music and pic etc on the card.

cheers.

Guest lucier
hi

i have a problem with the sd card. this has happened a few times and i want to find out the problem. If the phone turns off, either by me turning it off or by the batt dying, it seems to wipe all the data on the sd card. is there a prob with the sd card or the rom. if wipes both the apps and the music and pic etc on the card.

cheers.

Hi!

Try to test if the problem could be an SDcard supply power. Just copy data on it and unplug. Do you find them after?

You could use it in a camera (for example).

Try to unplug your battery and check if your files are in the SD card on ypour computer. Maybe your phone wipe the Sd card when you turn on it!

Hope I could be usefull.

Guest madmanidze

I installed the Fr11, but I can't see some contacts pictures in the sms list.

also openvpn settings dont show configs when all uploaded to /sdcard/openvpn and config saved as client1.config. but no one showed in configs list in app.

Guest ashraf.h.ghoneim

Dears,

would you please advice how would get an online kitchen ROM which support arabic? as i have tried one online kitchen for the desire and found out that the ROM does not fully support arabic!

i.e. the letters are there but not forming one word like letter by letter words!!

did i miss something?

appreciating your usual cooperation

BR\Ashraf Ghoneim

Guest htcnick

i just changed over to leedroid, best thing i ever did. phone looks and performs better. just need help with a few things.

where can i get the original clock widget that has the world clock and alarm clock from and also i want the the widget from the calander so i have a choice of the size and shape of the widget. and if anyone knows how i can get more screens that would be good. It comes with 5 but the over roms have 7.

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zaphodbeeb

Hi Paul,

I think I've found a problem with the sense kitchen ROM for HTC desire with regards to busybox. As follows:

Firstly I flashed my kitchen sense ROM and all went well. A clean install of the ROM.

Then I wanted to upgrade the busybox from the rom 1.16 version. Firstly I tried downloading the busybox app. When I tried to install it came up with a message that superuser permissions were wrong and that busybox couldnt be updated. There was also a message stating that I should remind the rom developer to install busybox in the correct location.

Anyhow I tried JRummy's busybox installer, and after selecting the alternate location for the install the install appeared successful.

I powered down my s-off htc desire. Then powered it on again. It just hangs on the alpharev splash screen. Thankfully after removing the battery, I could still get into recovery.

This happens on versions 1.19, and 1.18 versions of busybox install (possibly all other versions higher than the 1.16 but I didnt try them all).

Also one other minor point. I selected for ROM manager to be installed in the kitchen, but it seems to have been skipped by the kitchen ROM maker.

Apart from the inability to update busybox the resulting rom is excellent and reliable and I would much preffer to stick with your ROM as opposed to other "stable" roms. Please fix it, or advise of a work around as I am a fan.

thanks

Guest zwox

hi paul, I don't know if i am right but it seems that cyanogen mod uses a modified bluetooth stack allowing HID. I was wondering if it was possible to add this in mcr (and/or kitchen as an opiton).

I am not familiar with cyanogen. I am used to modify mcr for my desire to make my own rom from mcr releases. I don't know if it is possible to had HID support recompiling the kernel, and sa I post here before to have a look. I know this is not the very fair order to do things, but I just wanted not to reinvent the wheel so I ask.

Thank's in advance

Guest Fred34
Just upgraded to this from r9 and now wifi won't work. It just says 'error' and won't switch on.

Any ideas?

hi,

same here.

Guest amarzahn

i wonder how i am going to get the android OS fix for the current bug with the unsecured data transmission between gmail and android OS???

google just sent this out as a silent update - but i guess the modaco mod will fail to recognize any updates and fixes from google?

thanks for your support!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lightspeedc

Hi, sorry to ask a newbie redundant question. Does anyone know if there will be a MODACO Custom ROM based on Gingerbread for the HTC Desire (not Desire S or HD)? I would like to update to Gingerbread and really like the Custom ROM Kitchen where I can pick what apps I want. I've been wondering if there's any updates to Gingerbread planned.

Please share any info you have. Thank you.